SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
victoriajane_gw

wall color to coordinate with stained glass window - please help

victoriajane
15 years ago

Hello! I believe this is my first post to the decorating forum, but I've used the search feature many times to look up paint colors. So you have been really helpful to me already - thanks! We are renovating our 1895 victorian and I need to choose paint for every room in the house. I'm almost done with the first floor, but one room has me stumped. It's the "front room" as we call it (I guess it would be the entry hall or foyer as the front door opens directly into it, except that, as in many victorians, it is a full size room.) Along with most of the other rooms in the house, it maintains its original dark chestnut woodwork. Here you can get an idea of the woodwork on the staircase:

(it's in rough shape, I know - we will be restoring the wood and also refinishing all the floors but the dark color will remain.) I've been working with a color consultant at our local BM dealer who has helped me choose a palette for the downstairs that I am really happy with. My decorating tastes have really changed over the years and the colors we chose are all much cooler than what I had before (such as the bright yellow you see in the photo which I intended to be gold.) Also, in my previous attempts at decorating I didn't pay much attention to harmonizing colors from room to room, and I am very conscious of that now. Unfortunately, the color consultant is on extended leave and I am left hanging without a color for the front room. The biggest factor is the large stained glass window over the staircase.

We are trying to find a color in the blue family that works with the blue in the stained glass , and that also works with the wall colors in the other rooms. We've tried BM Iceberg but that was too gray, and BM Ocean Air but that was too baby blue. There is a lot of green in the blue of that stained glass, so I'm wondering if I need to go to a more greenish blue, or maybe a color that actually reads green on the card (as they sometimes look blue on the wall. I tried BM Green Tint and at certain times of the day it almost worked, but at other times it was just too pale and washed out - read almost off-white. I also tried Summer Shower but it was too bright - I want a color that is not as intense as the color in the stained glass. I am loving how the blues and greens look up against the dark, reddish wood, so I think I'm going in the right direction, but I just can't seem to find the right shade of blue/green. Should I try one of the Restoration Hardware colors? Or does anyone have another BM color that would work with that window? Thanks so much!

Comments (31)

• threedgrad
    15 years ago

You might want to create a custom color that matches your blue in the windows.

• suero
    15 years ago

How about BM Antiguan Sky? It's a darker green-blue, with more green than Ocean Air.

• Related Discussions

Please help with a 'wood Coordinating question'

Q

Comments (26)
    Allison, thanks for the link, the color of the window trim, with the polyeurathane finish on is the natural wood. It's pretty light. This is a picture of my front door, unfinished as of yet, but I want it in a deep rosewood color: and this is a pictue of my alder doors, unfinished as of yet,: and this is a picture of the fireplace with one of the windows that has the clear poly finish next to it, I will take a close up picture of it today, but it's the clear in the picture allison showed in the link: This is a picture showing where the trifold doors will go (they are unfinished alder and look like the door pictured above), the windows to the left and right are clear alder with the poly coat on them, notice the beam running across the room, it will be exposed, as well as the beam running the length of the room: Is this a delima or am I just over reacting? Thanks you guys, your saving my sanity....
    ...See More

stained glass windows and wall color

Q

Comments (3)
    You could select one of the colors in the glass. Personally, I think the best choice would be one of the greens, that would enhance the reds and blues, etc. that are in the glass panels. A darker shade of green would make the colors in the doors gleam like jewels and would also bring out the warm, rich color of the woodwork.
    ...See More

Finally ready to fix wall color. Please help me coordinate.

Q

Comments (33)
    Oakley- I like the Sisila but don't know that that works with the furniture. It also has gold in it. (Dang pinkish carpets.) I know it give the dimensions of the scale but it helps me to see the fabric IRL or a photo of it on something. I'll look around, thanks. I also like the Selim but the colors are little too cheery. I'm going to pass on the table. I like it but starting thinking it reminded me of a nightstand. I have bb wallpaper leftover. I actually have painted posterboard inside the ends, but could cover foamcore board. Tina - That made sense about preferring the color in accents. I think her pillows are from PB. I like all her pillows and would switch her houses, ha. Sadly, our PB outlet was really lacking the last time I was there. Tuesday - I really like those photos, thank you. Kswl - I like crewel work pillows. About the burlap tablecloth, with the wingchair being beige/tan you don't think that side would be lacking color; worsening the unbalanced feel? I've been meaning to get a glass top so will look into local. Geo, Val, Tuesday, Oakley, Kswl - I pick up a sample of the Saybrook. It is a pretty color and on and off over the past 6 months I've had occasional thoughts of painting the kitchen area (currently BM Olive Branch) a similar color. I think it would work better with the floor, etc. Anyhow, my biggest concern is I paint the room Saybrook and 6 months down the road we decide to replace the furniture. It's not in the plans but... I also think I'd feel more comfortable with a color like Shaker as it's similar to what I have. I was thinking about carrying the LR color through the foyer and hall, which also has the brown carpet, to help the flow. The color there is even worse than the LR color paired with the carpet. I never cared for it once on the walls. Geo - I like the idea of the Saybrook better for accents in the room. I'd be ok with changing the back of bookends to that color. I like the cream idea too. I probably could take the doors off but DH and I both like the glass. Also the ends light up and we turn them on a night. The shelves consist of mostly books and wooden ducks that are sentimental, but the few other things could change. This post was edited by sheesharee on Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 17:37
    ...See More

PLEASE HELP ME COLOR COORDINATE A BEDROOM

Q

Comments (63)
    I love the rug in there and how it ties in with the baskets, wall, etc., but if it were me I'd still exchange the bedding because it would drive me crazy to see the striped side when the bed is unmade (which it is 99% of the time in my son's room). With the bed made the navy works. I would also exchange the drapes for something lighter, but that's just personal preference; I love lighter window treatments! I'm boring and would probably do white, but think a pattern with coordinating colors could look great too. I love the baseball art in there; it's perfect!
    ...See More
  • Oakley
    15 years ago

I love your home and would really like to see more pictures. I've always been fascinated with the Victorian homes (almost bought one last year but it didn't have a large yard for our dog, sniff sniff) and I was looking at Victorian colors online the other day and pink/red was included.

So my vote is in that color group!

• amysrq
    15 years ago

I think you ought to take a look at Farrow & Ball. Specifically Skylight, Pale Powder and Borrowed Light. I have a sense that you're looking for some subtlety not present in the BM colors. You might get what you want with F&B.

• amysrq
    15 years ago

You should also get your hands on a Classic Colors fandeck if you don't have one already. I think all the colors you mentioned are from Color Preview. Classic deck has some additional colors in that neighborhood, but perhaps witha bit more subtlety. Look for Healing Aloe, Night Mist, Ice Cap and Silver Crest, any of which might work better for you.

Good luck!

• neesie
    15 years ago

Oooh, I just want to say that I'm drooling over your open staircase and gorgeous windows! I'm sure you'll pick a winning color. Post more pictures, please!

• parma42
    15 years ago

I'd be interested to know the colors you've chosen for the rest of your downstairs and would be more concerned about the front room's relation to those.

Is the only reason you're picking a blue because of the gorgeous window or is it because that's a color you like?

I'd look at the window as a piece of art. The wall color doesn't need to be an exact match to it, but someting that complements.

• parma42
    15 years ago

That would be *something*.

I swear I corrected that before I submitted.

• victoriajane
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for all your advice. Parma, I agree it doesn't need to be an exact match but must compliment, not clash. The palette we're working with for the most part is blues and greens with gray undertones. The dining room is feather gray, living room is vale mist, sun porch is ...whatever is one above vale mist on the strip (I think it's called morning dew). The front parlor (directly to the right of the stained glass room) will be the warmest hue: Rich Cream. We chose that because it is the one room with white trim as opposed to all the dark chestnut. Re: your question of whether I chose blue because I like it or just to match the window...yes, I love blues and greens. I am definitely not a red person and I have trouble working with yellows (rich cream is as yellow as I can go.) As I said in my post, my tastes have changed dramatically since we last painted, years ago. Back then, I did every room in a bold color - what I thought of as victorian or "jewel" tones, I guess. Red in the dining room, periwinkle blue in the parlor, and that glaring yellow (my attempt at gold) in the front room and living room. It was all very chaotic. What I love about the new scheme is that it is feels so soothing and serene. I also love what the blue and gray tones do to the dark reddish hue of the woodwork. I think the problem is that all the colors I am using have a gray base, but the blue/green in the window does not. So if I choose a color that "fits" with the other rooms, it doesn't "fit" with the window, kwim?

• oceanna
    15 years ago

Your home is beautiful and your window is breathtaking. I hope you'll be posting more pictures. I am so glad you are restoring your gorgeous old woodwork. Good for you! I know it will be a lot of work, but so worth it.

I just did a flat beige (not yellowed, not rosy) around my huge faux stained glass window. It shows off the colors in it very well. There is no beige in my window, so you don't have to use one of the window colors to show yours off.

Will blue go with your furniture and rugs? Will it depress you over time, or take the warmth out of your living room? Or do you have orange or red, or yellow in your LR to balance it? I think it's a great bedroom color, but I'm not too sure about it as a living room color, at least on walls. I've experienced firsthand several times over how valid color psychology is. I had cool colors and when we threw parties, nobody talked much and people left early. I canged it to warm colors and I thought people were never going to shut up and go home!

• ttodd
    15 years ago

Jane -

Man do I feel your pain! You summed up everything I ever thought and wanted in my house but the darn staircase window blew it. For 10yrs I tried working w/ it to no avail w/ what it dictated and I wanted.

{{!gwi}}

To make matters worse while the colors in the staircase one are all primary, I also have stained glass transoms at all of my downstairs windows in pastels as well as a few other stained glass windows in pastels in the bathroom and MBR. Talk about clash!

1 transom:

{{!gwi}}

Now try to pick a paint color to coordinate w/ pastel transoms and this Mother of Pearl Tile surround in maroon, grey and white?

Fireplace Mother of Pearl tile:

I feel your pain girl! I even consulted w/ the author of The Paris Apartment book. She suggested navy blue for my hall & staircase. WHAT?

Anyway I've copped out (but my downstairs layout isn't as nice as yours either). I'm going w/ SW White Hyacinth. I am not suggesting this for you - just filling you in on my shame. Most of the other rms. downstairs are shades of green (BM Baby Turtle in LR), blue (Farrow and Ball Green Blue in DR - colormatched as best as possible but I LOVE it!) It reads a bit cool on camera but it is really a very warm shade of blue:

We were lucky that all of our downstairs woodwork was left untouched except for in the kitchen (which is being painted BM Revere Pewter w/ White Hyacinth trim & cabinets and Restoration Hardware Silver Sage ceiling - gorgeous together) but upstairs trim was already all painted white except the doors. Here is an example of what I did upstairs to unite trim and dark wood doors:

All of the colors upstairs reflect the colors downstairs but in more delicate greyed and blued tones.

I wholeheartedly 2nd or 3rd the notion of checking out Farrow and Ball. The colors are so liveable.

I even had a hard time getting the colors right w/ the BM Historic Colors and their Color Preview line. Still just a tad bright if I picked a real 'color' other than grey, white or brown.

Here is an example of my entry hall at one time which I LOVED but it clashed horribley w/ the staircase window. The walls were a taupey grey/brown and the ceiling blue. The ceiling color has remained:

{{!gwi}}

• victoriajane
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ttodd - lol - try finding a color to coordinate with THIS window:

Clearly the yellow is not working, lol. Here is our front parlor with its current paint:

Ironically, this is the one room that is already blue which I am changing to a warm color - Rich Cream. Partly because of the white trim, I think the rich cream looks really nice against it - like a frosted vanilla cupcake. Also it is a north facing room with zero direct sunlight. And finally, I wanted one room that is a respite from all the subdued, cooler colors coming in. I still feel, though, that the muted blues and greens are the right choice for the dark stained wood rooms. I just have to find the right ones. It is sooo much easier to choose paint colors for rooms with white trim!!! Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. It's really great to get suggestions from people who actually have the colors on their walls. I'm using colors that I never would have thought would like right just from seeing them on the color strip at the store. Today I'm going to try healing aloe, quiet moments, ice cube silver and pale smoke. We'll see...

• ttodd
    15 years ago

Oh, I wanted to mention that when you go to pick out more subdued colors, try to find something that still has some 'weight' to it if that makes sense.

W/ dark wood trim it is so easy for colors to look washed out and dull or not have any presence. The previous owners of our house used pale subdued colors and it did nothing for the walls. You could barely even tell that there was color at all.

You know what? I think I tried that yellow too! Hah, hah! I did LOL when I saw the window. Gave me nightmares of trying to match my fireplace surround. In fact your window may work well w/ my surround!

BTW - your place is lovely - wish I had an open receiving area like you do!

• victoriajane
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, I just spent the morning testing out all those samples and they are completely wrong. Might be partly because of the rainy day we are having, but way too much gray - which I personally love but does nothing for the window and looks very drab next to the woodwork. I think I have to veer toward the clearer blue-greens next time - is that considered aqua? teal? turquoise? So far the best color appears to be green tint but it is too light - maybe try 150%? I think I'm going to also try antiguan sky.

• teacats
    15 years ago

Check out these colors from the Benjamin Moore Historical Collection:

Buxton Blue (HC-149)

Jamestown Blue (HC-148)

Buckland Blue (HC-151)

Whipple Blue (HC-152)

Marlboro Blue (HC-153)

To use the Personal Color Viewer -- simply click on "Paint Now" -- select a room -- and use the pull-down menu to find the Historical Collection ......

Hope this helps! :)

Jan (just LOVE your home!!!)

Here is a link that might be useful: BM Website -- Personal Color Viewer

• teacats
    15 years ago

Just a thought for the Front Parlour with its gorgeous plum colored window (I see many colors in terms of food! LOL):

Benjamin Moore:

Raisin Torte (2083-10)

JUST a thought -- hope you don't mind! :)

Jan

• palimpsest
    15 years ago

At the time the house was built, the color scheme probably would have ignored the stained glass and just allowed it to be what it is.

It is kind of like wearing blue jeans: not everything we wear with them has blue in it, but we just treat the jeans as a "neutral".

Just try picking some colors you like and see what happens, it can't hurt.

• victoriajane
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The problem is, the colors I really like, all the grayish blues and greens, look spectacularly ugly next to that window. Maybe I need to explore a different direction. Palimpsest, you had suggested a contrasting or secondary color rather than the blue. Could you recommend one? Thanks!!!

• palimpsest
    15 years ago

I can't really tell what the yellow/beige "onion" shapes would read like in real life, but how about a dulled version of a color in those? (All Benjamin Moore Colors)

Beacon Hill Damask--can read "green" in many lights

Pittsfield Buff

Dunmore Cream

Waterbury Cream

Standish White

Powell Buff

Or I don't know if you would want to go into the mauvey tones of the border, but it could work with the woodwork and the era of the house:

Winthrop Peach
    Georgetown Pink Beige--don't be fooled by the names

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

http://ellenkennon.com/art/interactive/ek_paint_v3.html

This may be more dramatic than you want, but what about Ellen Kennon Milk Chocolate Full Spectrum to blend with all the dark wood and showcase the window. Then with stair runner and accent art you can add more intrest for that angle. What is to the left of the stained glass? What colors furniture, fabrics and art will be in that room?
    Love the details in that wood/staircase wall, it is spectacular to make it's own statement.
    If you havent tried full spectrum paints, they have exceptional life as they are always changing with the light movement.

• victoriajane
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I need to find the cable to connect my digital camera to the computer before I can post any more pictures. But thanks again for the suggestions. I have one more blue to try - palladian blue - before I declare defeat and head toward the complimentary hues. I can't do mauve/pinks, but I could try the beige/creams...I'm really intrigued by the milk chocolate idea, though. I'm a little concerned about the amount of brown there would be in the room but it would certainly make the window pop. Where do you buy Ellen Kennon paint? And are there comparable colors in Ben Moore?

• ttodd
    15 years ago

So you can get an idea of what brown w/ dark trim may offer you here are 2 browns that I used yrs. ago and really liked w/ my dark trim. Clearly you can see that I lean towards most anything w/ a green tone. I won't list the names as I just wanted to give you a general idea.:

On a dreary day & flash:

The next lighter shade on the strip:

{{!gwi}}

Brown could work very well w/ the greyer tones that you are trying to work w/.

If I might make a few color suggestions to give you some ideas of greyed colors that could be close to some of those Farrow and Ball colors that could look so nice w/ your wood - not sure about the windows:

Really Greyed colors

BM Imperial Gray #1571
    BM Cheyenne Green #1502 or 1512 - can't read my writing
    SW Svelte Sage
    SW Softened Green #6177
    BM Mesquite #0501

Clearer colors that are similar to some F&B colors:

BM Healing Aloe #1562
    SW Mountain Air
    Valspar Field of Pines #5004-4A
    BM Blue Grass #CC-640
    Valspar April Thicket #5003-3C
    BM Wythe Blue #HC-143
    BM Florentine Plaster #520
    SW Naturel #2080

Also don't think that using a rich cream/ neutral color is a cop out. Sometimes that is a beautiful way to pull all of the others colors together and have a subtle yet rich palette that flows so well. Remember - if that window can be seen from other rms. the wall colors in those other rms. can raelly help draw the color of the window out and totally unify everything around it.

Have you thought about painting the parlor another color instead of Rich Cream? Maybe paint the entry rm. Rich Cream instead. My thought process is that when you would walk into your home you would see the beautiful window w/ no hard visual color pulling away from it and then all of the subtle greyed tones all around. Although I do see your point - Rich Cream would really look lovely w/ that white in that rm.

Personally I do not regret for an instant deciding to go neutral in my hallway.

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

Imagine some art you love where the windows are and maybe work the blue-green you love in a carpet runner, lampshade, etc. I like the way it lets the antique wood carving formost and lets the stainglass really stand out rather than the window frame. I also think it gives a fabulous period feeling, yet neutral to have things you love show off rather than the wall color taking over. Thanks for letting me have such fun playing with your space. I've always wanted my own victorian to decorate. Igloochic knows how I get carried away playing in her Inn!

• victoriajane
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So the palladian blue is up on the wall...as far as not clashing with the window, it is the closest match so far. However, it is much darker than I intended to go (at least it looks dark in this room which is north facing; we also have a lighting - or should I say a lack of lighting - problem going on right now during our renovation , and I can't say I'm loving it...)anyway, I'm ready to go in a different direction. ttodd, I did consider doing the rich cream in the stained window room. The problem is, I'm concerned that the contrast between that and the dark woodwork will be visually jarring - and detract from the window in much the way my current gold/yellow does (okay, maybe not that bad, but you kwim.) If I go neutral I want to do more of a tone on tone thing; although of course the walls couldn't be as dark as the woodwork. But something in the same color family, without a huge amount of contrast. I do love browns. Any recommendations for nice soft browns - brown enough not to be considered beige but soft enough to cover a full sized room? I don't think I'm looking for green undertones in this case. Tan, I guess.

• victoriajane
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bodica, yes, that is exactly the direction I was heading. I love the way the tone on tone is bold and subdued at the same time. I have neither area rugs nor artwork at the moment, but I can see how I could work them in. The color consultant at the local BM dealer wouldn't like it because she would think it was too dark and depressing. I think it's cool (as in "neato", not the opposite of warm.) Do you have any color names to suggest, please? I should mention again that the room is north facing without a lot of natural light.

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

Here is what I tried;
    Surface: Wall
    Brand: Sherwin Williams® - Color System
    Paint Name: French Roast
    Item ID: 6069
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Surface: Trim
    Brand: Benjamin Moore - Color Preview
    Paint Name: Bittersweet Chocolate
    Item ID: 2114-10
    Surface: Ceiling
    Brand: Sherwin Williams® - Color System
    Paint Name: French Roast
    Item ID: 6069
    Surface: Accent
    Brand: Benjamin Moore - Color Preview
    Paint Name: Bashful Blue
    Item ID: 2065-70
    Sent using Good Housekeeping Paint&Preview Tool

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/

I also went in paint to see what black (because I didn't see where to make a custom color) looked like around the window but I lost it... How ever I did really like the wall and window vanished with the glass sparkling.
    what options do you have for lighting? electrical?

• parma42
    15 years ago

In the post I've linked, Magnaverde talks about the use of dark colors with older, dark stained wood. There's an example of what he's speaking of, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Magnaverde

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

Behr.com has a good 'Color Smart' you might find helpful. what I liked is you can pick a color range, then light/dark but also -more purple or more orange-. This tool might really help you explore what you do and don't like. I open your pics in one window and then open the color smart in a new window so I can view them side to side. I was just playing with the mauve window using embarcadero for dark, country club for medium, oyster for light and clearwater for blue green. As I continued the colors seemed to change slightly from my selections, but still, I found it helpful. It also has a visual for the colors in a room, with just a click, you can switch one color to try on wall, trim, ceiling. Hope this helps.

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

victoriajane, if you haven't painted yet, you might want to check out the baths forum, "finished craftsman renovation". Along with everything else they did, her paint choice is wonderful -- if you're still contemplating a lighter color. It's similar to what you have now, just more red tone in it, I think...? It meets the wood rather than floats above it is how I see it...at any rate, I thought of your post and wanted to alert you to that thread. don't you love having lots of heads working on your questions? :)

• victoriajane
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the tip, flyleft. At this point, there are few colors I haven't tried. The people at the BM store now know me by name. I'm tentatively going with the following colors: Entry room (with staircase and multi-colored stained glass window): Honeymoon (BM Affinity color) - ironically it's along the same lines as the gold that is up there now, but toned down (more camel golden rather than yellow golden.) It picks up the gold in the window without calling too much attention to itself. Front parlor (with white trim) : BM Rich Cream. I liked this color immediately, and I love how it looks with white trim. Family room (with pinkish stained glass window): BM Tea Room (affinity color.) I tried so hard to find a wall color that would compliment/contrast with the window, but every color I tried (greens, oranges, browns) looked terrible with either the window or the woodwork or both. Finally in desperation I tried Tea Room - a dark pink-red. I mean, yes, it's pink, but I like the way it looks with both the woodwork and the window. It's a color I never would have chosen on its own, but it seemed like the house wanted to make its own design decision in this particular room. Finally, the dining room: BM Fiji (affinity color) - a gorgeous blue, intense and deep with a bit of teal in it. I'm not sure how these colors relate to each other, if at all, but I've decided to use BM Ivory Tusk on the upper walls (above picture molding)and ceiling in every room; hopefully that will be enough to tie them all together. Paint has not been purchased yet, though, so I am still open to suggestions! Oh, and there is also the sunroom off the front parlor but I'm pretty sure I'm just going to continue the Rich Cream in there. And the kitchen in the back of the house will be BM Stonington Gray, and the mudroom and bathroom behind that will be BM Cashmere Gray.