SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vfish_gw

Please help with a 'wood Coordinating question'

vfish
17 years ago

I am now moving into the phase of ordering the stain for my front door. It is made of Alder wood, glass and wrought iron. I have just finished staining our exposed rafter tails which are now in place. I am wondering if anyone with a "vision" of coordinating wood stains, would stain the front door the same color as the exposed rafter tails?

Then, one step further, would you also stain the exposed beams and alder doors, fireplace mantle and built in cabinets inside the house the same stain too? How far do you go when trying to coordinate these colors? I also have custom kitchen cabinets I am trying to coordinate as well. The wood again is Alder.

My floors are brazilian teak, and my tile is a walnut colored travertine.

Any help would be very much appreciated. I'll post this in decorating as well, but this forum seems to have a lot of "visionary" people on it :Thanks for any help you can give.

Comments (26)

• gardenchick1
    17 years ago

The wonderful thing about Brazilian Teak is that is has many different color shades and just about any stain will match it. Our furniture and cabinetry are in all different wood stains (even black) and they all look great with the BT floor.

That being said, I would not try to stain everything in your home the same color. Doing the front door, the exposed rafter tails and the mantle would be fine, but I wouldn't go so far as to do the kitchen cabinets and built-in cabinets in the same stain. You can have variety with BT floors and having varying shades of stain keeps the home from looking like it was production built and will give it great character.

• vfish
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Gardenchick, I have seen your great pictures of the flooring you have. That is the reason I chose my BT. I just didn't want too much wood varieties going on. I have to match all of my alder doors as well with the alder wood trim inside all of my windows and french/sliding doors in the same room vicinity. we have large open runs and the doors can all be seen from every part of this open room.

• Related Discussions

Please Help - Lighting/Fan/Fixtures/Decor Coordination

Q

Comments (4)
    Thanks staceyneil for posting pics - don't know why I didn't do that myself. The cross hatch faucet we got is this one - staying w/ the more angular theme: Also, here's another view of the sink: I agree the light/fan combo adds another shape that isn't anywhere - so that's gotta be the thing to go. My contractor will kill me as he had already installed a square fan in there. I can't fit a light centered over the tub/shower b/c there's a beam there. Will wait a bit on the lighting and pick a mirror w/ a frame that brings it all together.
    ...See More

Help! Coordinating wood finishes.

Q

Comments (2)
    I don't know about a "rule", but IF the floor and the trim are going to be different wood tones, I definitely think the darker one would look better on the floor. You'll be much happier with the housekeeping on a lighter floor. The darker you go the dirtier it's going to look. Last time I put in carpet I matched it to the dog and cat, as best I could.
    ...See More

Please help with question about coordinating 2 paint colors.

Q

Comments (16)
    Sis, this thread has now become almost impossible to deal with because of the way the pics are posted. When I open a thread that needs to be scrolled across like this, I don't bother. Just to let you know, there will be little "new" action on this, IME. To answer your original question, I don't see a problem using the WM with the GW seen in the distance. As I said in my earlier post, everyone has a different set of tolerances (as funcolors calls them) for what they need/like/want. In the picture I showed you from my last house, I was happy going dark-light-dark-light. There is no universal answer. You need to figure out what you need/want/like. You are already on that path of color-self-discovery in that you have decided you don't like what you have now. Your home is really very beautiful and I am sure you will be able to figure this out. Do the big swatches, makes sure the WM looks good with your sofa, blah, blah, blah. You know what to do. :-)
    ...See More

Help me, please! How do you coordinate paint colors?

Q

Comments (2)
    Sorry, no picture. Yes, stardust was the color that was suggested, but to my eye, it doesn't seem to go with the Oak Ridge at all. They look terrible together on the "viewer" on BM's site that lets you see the colors together on various surfaces. I was hoping a color genius could suggest something different than the BM suggestion.
    ...See More
  • buzzsaw
    17 years ago

Sound similar to my home. Alder doors, windows and accociated trim. It is stained w/ a light cherry stain. Kitchen cabinets are alder, but are darker brown w/ a very dark glaze. Ridgebeams and columns (interior and exterior) for cathedral ceiling are douglas fir and are currently natural - no stain. Wood floor is a rustic pecan w/ a very light brownish stain. Ceiling is rustic cedar tounge-groove planking w/ more light cherry stain. Mantle will be douglas fir - unstained again...

• vfish
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Buzzsaw, your house sounds wonderful!
    How far along are you? I would love to see pictures!

• kats
    17 years ago

vfish,

We're doing the same. At first we thought we had to match everything but our tastes run to a craftsman eclectic look anyway so.....
    Alder cabinets and interior doors in a honey/brown color. Mahagony front entry door with 8 pine 9lite marginal French doors all along our back porch. Rustic white oak (tung-oiled) 8" wide plank flooring next to 9" wide white molding. And, the topping on the cake -- a gorgeous reclaimed river-wood mantel above a flat faced river-rock hearth and woodburning stove.
    Maybe not for everyone but we like it!
    :)

• vfish
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Kats, that sounds great! I would love to see photos when you get the chance.
    Thanks for all the replys.
    Now, decision time.

• buzzsaw
    17 years ago

Sorry it is taking a while to get you pics. Didn't have time until now. And now that I'm trying, Tinypic is not uploading my pics for some reason. I'll try later.

• vfish
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Buzzsaw, sounds good, can't wait to see them.

• lindybarts
    17 years ago

I missed this thread the first time around...I'd love to see everyone's pics too since we are also doing Alder front door, Alder cabinets and box beam ceilings that we need to pick stain for.

Everyone's homes sound fabulous!

• vfish
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK, so I am going to revive this thread. Lindy, you said your front door is alder, along with your cabinets and box beam ceilings, right?
    Did you decide on the stain?
    Well, now I have a new delima. My windows arrived and the inside of the window is alder, I ordered it alder wood, I didn't realize they put a light coat of polyurethene on the wood, so they are light. Then, next to these windows, I have beautiful tri-folding doors. Again, they are alder on the inside as well. The alder is very light and these doors have no polyurethene on them, so we could stain them as well.
    The problem is that I can't/or am chicken to stain the inside of my alder polyurethene windows, I want to stain the doors, I have Brazilian teak flooring, 2 large beams that need staining that span the width of my great room (with the doors and windows) and my fireplace hearth is a douglas fir beam (which can be stained).
    Would you leave the windows and doors light alder clear color (the windows are already and it would be hard to sand and refinish brand new windows), then put the accent stain on the beams overhead and the mantle?
    I am afraid the windows and doors would just fade into the background, after putting all of that money into them?
    Then, to top it off, I have beautiful alder doors I wanted to stain, but then they might stand out with the rest of the wood not stained.
    I may be thinking too hard about this, I can't visualize anything anymore and am second guessing all of my decisions.
    Any help? Lindy, Allison are you there?

• allison0704
    16 years ago

How are the windows and doors going to be trimmed out and finished?

• vfish
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well right now, I have a kerf detail around the window sides and top, then a sill along the bottom of each window. The doors will be the same. A simple kerf detail, no trim around them. My walls are thick and deep and all of the windows and doors are inset with some relief.
    I plan to just place blinds inside the windows and keep them simple, with perhaps drapes that are on the lighter side.
    I have travertine and wood flooring in this room, with a limestone fireplace and douglas fir mantle.
    The light fixtures will be a black wrought iron with burning candles of some sort.I hope this answers your question.
    What do you think, the windows and doors will be too plain?
    Thanks!

• allison0704
    16 years ago

You said "Then, to top it off, I have beautiful alder doors I wanted to stain, but then they might stand out with the rest of the wood not stained." What do you mean by "rest of the wood not stained?" Do you mean the windows - because you said the beams, mantle and flooring are all going to be stained.

Sorry, just trying to understand...I think you want to stain everything but are worried since the windows cannot be stained. Is this correct?

Do your have any exterior doors with glass that came poly'd and cannot be stained?

• vfish
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry Allison, yes, all of the wood in the house can be stained at this point except the alder interior windows which came with a poly stain on them. I'm pretty bummed since I really dreamed of dark wood with the thick walls and warm wood floors. I just think the windows would look silly next to the dark stained doors.
    All of the doors in this area can be stained, yes, even the exterior doors. The windows are the only limiting factor. I was told the only way to get the stain on the windows was to lightly sand the inside of the windows and then to stain them.

• allison0704
    16 years ago

"I'm pretty bummed since I really dreamed of dark wood with the thick walls and warm wood floors."

That would be disappointing. Using the chart I linked below, which one is closer to your window finish?

Here is a link that might be useful: Alder

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Hey vfish! We are doing everything alder in the same color. Front door, stair bannister, beams and cabinets/builtins. Here's the cabinets we are trying to match. The painter is going to go a little heavier on the creases to make a glazed appearance.

But our trim is all going to be white. Baseboards, window casings, wainscotting, columns.

If you let us know what color the windows are, maybe we can help. Do you have any photos?

Lindy

• kellyeng
    16 years ago

I was planning on doing all my wood in the same stain but now I'm wondering if that's a mistake. We have lots of stained wood so maybe we should break it up with maybe three stain colors. What do you think of this:

Chestnut - Alder cabs, Cedar ceiling beams, Mesquite mantle
    Walnut - Pine trim, Pine windows, Pine doors
    Honey - Pine wide plank floor

What do you think?

• vfish
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Allison, thanks for the link, the color of the window trim, with the polyeurathane finish on is the natural wood. It's pretty light.
    This is a picture of my front door, unfinished as of yet, but I want it in a deep rosewood color:

and this is a pictue of my alder doors, unfinished as of yet,:

and this is a picture of the fireplace with one of the windows that has the clear poly finish next to it, I will take a close up picture of it today, but it's the clear in the picture allison showed in the link:

This is a picture showing where the trifold doors will go (they are unfinished alder and look like the door pictured above), the windows to the left and right are clear alder with the poly coat on them, notice the beam running across the room, it will be exposed, as well as the beam running the length of the room:

Is this a delima or am I just over reacting?
    Thanks you guys, your saving my sanity....

• kellyeng
    16 years ago

Is it possible to sand off the poly?

• vfish
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kelly, yes, but the alder wood inside trim on these windows is a veneer, so I was told by Eagle windows. They said it could be done, only very, very light sanding. I'm afraid they may not turn out.
    I tried the minwax poly/stain that can go over anything and it really didn't look all that great either, too uneven staining for a nice look.

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

I don't think you're over reacting, but I don't think it's a huge problem either. I would probably try to sand one and see how it turns out. If it doesn't work, I don't think it looks that bad either. Good Luck!

Lindy

• allison0704
    16 years ago

I think you're overthinking since you were thrown for a loop when the windows came in poly'd/unable to stain but like lindybarts, I don't think it would look bad to have everything else stained dark and the windows light.

If it were me, I would stained the doors, beams, floors, etc my original wanted color - if not, everytime I looked at them I would think "geez, I wish those were darker!"

If you decide to try redoing the windows, maybe you have one in the garage you could practice with...and it's not something that has to be done right away if you were planning on doing them yourself.

• vfish
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I think you both are right, however, what would you do? Would you try to stain the windows darker or just leave well enough alone and move on?

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Personally, I would just leave it alone. But I think the point we were trying to make is that if it bothers you enough, experiment on a garage window like Allison said. Then, you can decide for yourself if it A) looks better and B) worth your time

Let us know how it comes out. I'm dying to see your house finished. I was just telling dh about you since we are very familiar with Coronado having lived in Encinitas prior to Portland. Best of Luck!

Lindy

• allison0704
    16 years ago

What Lindy said. ;)

• vfish
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I am going to leave them alone now and once I get toward the finishing stage, with all of the other elements in place, I can decide then what best to do. I will keep a protective coat on the la cantina doors and inside alder doors that will enable me to stain if needed down the road.
    I appreciate your thoughts, since I love both of your homes:)
    Lindy, Coronado is a lot of fun to live in, except for the busy summer months, lots of tourists. Let us know if your in the neighborhood :)