SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
owl_at_home

Help! Coordinating wood finishes.

owl_at_home
16 years ago

Hi,

I know there have been some threads on this topic, but I checked them and I'm still not sure what to do.

I need to order my wood flooring soon. It will be prefinished oak, 3 1/4" boards.

I am considering two finishes. One is a "walnut," which is quite dark. I really like it, but I'm told it will show dirt more. This is a fairly major concern, as we have several cats and dogs and are not good housekeepers.

The other is called "Ozark vista" and is a nice medium brown color with a hint of red (but not like a cherry red).

We also plan to stain our mouldings, doors, windows, stairs, etc. I had in mind a fairly medium-to-dark stain for the trim, like a walnut. I have bought a can to experiment with but haven't tried it yet. It's called English walnut, I think. (I plan to paint the cabinets to avoid further confusion.)

I am leaning toward the Ozark vista for the floors. We have something really similar right now and really like it. My question is, it would almost certainly be somewhat lighter than the trim, windows, doors, etc. Is there a "rule" that the floor should be darker than the trim? (The floor salesman mentioned that.) Or do you personally feel that it looks better that way?

We are going for a really traditional, old-fashioned (say, 1900s) look. I've never used stain before, and I'm really scared of screwing it up.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Owl's progress blog (pictures)

Comments (2)