SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cal_dreamer

Need advice on finishing woods to coordinate....

cal_dreamer
17 years ago

I'm building a cabin/vacation home and need to finish the trim and exposed beams to coordinate with the laminate flooring I just decided on. (Armstrong Smoked Oak)

I was originally going to pick a much warmer floor, but now I need to go cooler/ash tones. I have already put a sealer coat of #2 clear shellac on some of the solid beams (doug fir?) and they are pretty orange. On the ceiling is a glue-lam ridge beam that is unfinished, the interior of my windows are unfinished VG fir, and the doors I just bought are unfinished red oak veneer. Window and door casings have not been bought yet. I need to find something to tie everything together, and tone down the red/orange tones of the existing wood. The floors have a smoky/bronze cast which I love. I'm not trying to get everything to match, but just coordinate and not clash. Luckily the floors have a range of colors which I hope will give some flexibility.

I was thinking of trying some dark garnet shellac on the doors and windows but it may be difficult as a beginner. Do I need to remove the thin coat of clear shellac from the beams first? Should I try to tint clear shellac with dye instead of the dark garnet?

I just love the finish shellac gives. DH thinks I'm crazy and should just get some mission oak or walnut stain and covet it with poly. I like the idea of buying shellac flakes and doing it the "old fahioned" way.

I'd appreciate any advice from shellac fans out there.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH