SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
snowang_gw

Color Coordination in a Tiny Kitchen - Advice Needed!

snowang
15 years ago

First off, I'm absolutely a newbie in kitchen remodeling so some of my questions may sound a little silly. We have a 40 yr old SFH and the kitchen is no bigger than many people's guest bathrooms, with ten cabinets and about 28 sq. ft. countertop. We have a budget of $5,000. The good news is that all the appliances have been replaced in the past 3 yrs and the bad news is they are all in bisque color which is harder to coordinate than SS. We are planning to trade up in 1-2 yrs if the market permits, but would also like to enjoy the kitchen while we are here, which may be longer than I hope. Oh, and I forgot to mention there is a 1 yr old little monster in the house, as well as a dog that likes fumbling through kitchen garbage.

The kitchen floor is light oak laminate and it's not going away. The current wall color is yellowish and I can repaint it. The lighting fixture is http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100078206&N=10000003+90401+502059+904. We installed it 3 yrs ago and I still kinda like it. I'm not sure if we can have under cabinet light within our budget.

I'm working with a kitchen remodeler on selecting granite countertop and cabinets. There aren't many choices and I'm trying to decide a few things. Would love to get your opinion since sometimes I have a hard time imagining things:

1. Cabinets: Maple or Antique White Glaze (shown in the pictures). Does the maple in the picture look like ok quality? I'm a little concerned about the color variations in the wood. Is it normal with maple? Personally I like the antique white a lot but pretty much everybody else including DH is rejecting it saying it doesn't fit in our kitchen style. Also we currently have a bulkhead type of thing covering the microwave hood vent. DH wants to replace it with very short cabinets even though it's going to cost more. Does it make sense having cabinets hanging on top of an open doorway?

2. Granite: Uba Tuba or Santa Secilia? I love the color of Secilia but worry about maintenance. I'm a Chinese cook at home and it gets greasy and messy pretty quickly, esp. with baby food. Does Uba Tuba go well with the maple color? Would that combination make my tiny kitchen look even more dingy?

3. Backsplash: Does tile backsplash make a small kitchen look more croweded? All the model kitchen pictures I've been looking at are spacious and well lighted. I have a hard time imagining how it would look in my tight quarter.

1. Any recommendation for a paint color?

I'll have to figure out uploading the pictures tomorrow morning I guess. My brain can't process the technology after 10pm.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths