SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
littlemy_gw

Need advice on layout of TINY kitchen

littlemy
16 years ago

We just bought a house with a very small kitchen. It currently has a compact range (27" wide) and a small but full-sized fridge (30" wide). It does not have a dishwasher. The countertop is standard height but small depth (22") which may cause trouble with putting a dishwasher under the counter.

We'd really like to have a full-sized range and a dishwasher, even a compact one. So we're trying to figure out how to configure the space.

Our current best idea is to get a compact 23" fridge so that we'll have room for a full-sized 30" range. We might be able to squeeze a 28" fridge but I doubt it. We would keep them in their current places. Then we would put the dishwasher to the right of the sink (the right of the drawing, the left if you are facing the sink). Thought we could fit one in the other side, that would take away the drawers that are there and almost all cabinet space below.

The windows are both very low in the wall, so anything put there would block part of them but we might put in a countertop/shelving unit, like from Ikea under the window by the countertop or along the wall across from the window.

If anyone has any other ideas of how we could arrange the space, we would really appreciate it. We'll be buying new appliances so we can choose what we like. We're not too worried about a smaller fridge as we would buy a chest freezer for the basement.

Someone suggested that I try the online cabinet design tool from HomeDepot so I'm trying to input the measurements and see how that goes. But it won't give me any advice like "Don't bother putting in a compact 18" dishwasher as they don't work. Do your best to fit in a standard 24" one."

Thanks a lot!

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations