SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rgeorge123

Help with Studio Apt

Rosie G
9 days ago

Need help with redecorating/remodeling small studio apartment please see pictures would love any recommendations!

Comments (53)

• Rosie G
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Hi, yes it is a small studio apt. Looking for ways to make the most of the small space. My loveseat is 48 inches .. looking for an update ( bigger with L shape or ottoman). Some other things I would like is a headboard/lighting/ maybe makeup vanity where I have a big table taking up space… things to make it feel more cozy/at home.

• njmomma
    9 days ago

Dimensions of the room is key. Lots of Pros on this board with expertise. In the meantime, here is some inspiration.

Micro-apartment · More Info

Studio · More Info

My Houzz: Sweet Sophistication for a Manhattan Studio · More Info

• Related Discussions

Decorating a studio apt need ideas PLEASE!

Q

Comments (13)
    Since it's a small space how about keeping most of the walls light and adding an accent wall with some texture looking repositionable, removable, alternative wallpaper I think this is on Modenus but may be elsewhere). That way you could keep an open feel but add interest with the walls with wallpaper and the rest with cool wall art. You could give the illusion of more space. When or if you decide on a reusable wallpaer color just add some pillows of that shade to your bed. To further that idea add some interesting lighting, some that shines up and some that shines down (mix it up) and have dimmers. Have a wall with art that has painting lights.
    ...See More

Help with studio apt floor plan and colors

Q

Comments (48)
    loved this side table! But again, how do I stay cohesive with the design style? All these wood finishes throw me off not sure how to mix furniture pieces or style without making it too busy... Also my friend suggested that these tables are so low.. My couch is lower but what size do I want to go with? Lastly... I haven't chosen a rug yet but been looking.. Might find a more ombre stipled looking neutral one is what I'm thinking... Maybe in cream and beige tones... But I don't know what size yet. Not sure if it should be the length of my whole couch, or if it should exclude the area that the ottomon/chaise section will be. I see this done either way... But not sure and don't know if maybe I could get a second small rug for under kitchen table to increase the emphasis on seperate kitchen/living space... Is that too busy? Ahh! Sorry for These long posts but this has all been hugely helpful and I am really appreciative of the feedback and good advice! Also will be purchasing two accent chairs that will double as additional kitchen table chairs when needed, not sure about the placement of the chairs and if they should be all on same living room rug?! Thanks ladies!
    ...See More

Coffee table size for small studio apt

Q

Comments (6)
    Cool coffee table! Just because you're in a small studio apartment doesn't mean you have to decorate like you're in a college dorm. There are other issues I'd deal with ahead of the coffee table. The rolling cart, ladder shelf and the low crate for books and plants need to be replaced by real furniture. Be careful that not everything you furnish the room with is leggy and spindly. A tall, substantial piece of casegoods on the white wall will serve to visually counter balance the brick wall, and provide you with storage. The little primitive ladder with the plant hanging on it would be interesting hung horizontally on the wall above the sofa. You could put industrial style clips on it to hold interesting black and white photos. Shop for a slim long table tall enough to fit over the AC unit and fill that recess. That's where you can arrange your plants and some of your decor.
    ...See More

Black studio apt.

Q

Comments (9)
    This is almost 2× the typical price of most of the units of this sort, so they are trying to recoup the cost of the renovation. This is probably someone's pied a terre. I don't think most people are going to want to pay this much for a unit in what is mostly student housing. There are other pied a terre in the building but most people invest minimally in their units. I think it's going to be a hard sell.
    ...See More
  • apple_pie_order
    9 days ago

Are you the renter or the owner? Do you need a pull out sofa for guests or a regular 3-seat sofa?

• Rosie G
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Hi I am the renter looking for a 3 seater .. not a pull out sofa

• auntthelma
    8 days ago

Try this. Turn your bed so it goes long way against the wall with the painting. Then, put the loveseat in front of the bed facing the same way it does now. Imagine the love seat as a full size sofa. Now, the bed is hidden away, so the room is more of a public room. Get a comforter for the bed so that it is easy to make every day.

Agree to get rid of the kitchen curtain. It takes up visual space you cant afford.

You are on the right track with over the toilet storage, but you can do better. Also, look at behind the door storage for the bathroom.

Find a hideaway for the box, backpack and other clutter that doesnt add any beauty to your room.

If you can, give us a drawing of the floorplan. We can help much more if we can see the space.

• auntthelma
    8 days ago
    last modified: 8 days ago

FYI, in my first apartment, the refrigerator was in the living room. 😁

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 days ago

MY advice get a good quality pullout sofa and ypu ar ein desperate need for storage so look at Ikea they are king for small space design.Do you have to have table and chairs for ding? If not get a nice storage cabinet in thta spot that holds all the stuff you have cluttering everything up in both the room in the first pic and that kitcehn . The drape of courrese needs to go from the kitchen. If you want a table to east at get one that pops up for eating and even for working on your laptop in front of the pullout bed move it out of the way if you like to have the full mattress daily . If you have a storage unit for your apt. use it for stuff rarely needed , THis table even on wheels for easy move .

• Rosie G
    Original Author
    8 days ago

Hi everyone, thank you so much for the advice so far I really appreciate it. I took some more photos and did appropriate measurements. Please let me know what you think. I’m looking specifically for a new and refreshed look to my old apartment. Specifically, I want a new couch with either an L-shaped or an ottoman style. I would like a headboard if possible. I also would like to change the blinds to curtains and add some hanging house plants as well as add some lighting to make it more cozy. I live do you live in an old pre-war building but it does have some beautiful features like the walls and ceilings. I do run so I am allowed to paint and change , which is why I do want to make as many updated improvements to the old design I currently have. Nothing extreme as I don’t own it. Appreciate and open to all ideas.

• Rosie G
    Original Author
    8 days ago

Main room

• auntthelma
    8 days ago

Looks better tidied up! Can you show us the table area and the kitchen?

I honestly do not think you have room for a sectional sofa. Why is that your first wish?

Have you considered a loft bed? That would give you much more floor space for your sectional.

• housegal200
    8 days ago

A bunch of suggestions:

--Please show the right side of the room next to the fridge--the entire window wall. Then stand where you art work is and show the opposite wall. We need to see all four walls.

--Start by strict decluttering of pillows, tiny art, little stuff on surfaces.

--Do you have a small dining table? If so, then you could choose two upholstered chairs that you could use if you have company.

--Get an interesting, less "bedroom-y" cover for your bed. The cover of that book you posted shows a Mexican coverlet and plain white bedding underneath. Look for something authentic/ethnic like that.--maybe Moroccan wedding blanket. (Etsy new or Ebay used) It can go over a plain comforter.

--Sell your coffee table. Either get round nesting tables or a small round storage ottoman. (Round shapes work better than angled furniture shapes in small spaces.)

Safavieh Chelsea Round Tray Ottoman, Flat Cream Leather · More Info

-

--Float your loveseat with its back to the window. This opens up wall space for your dresser to the right of the bed and the mirror over it, which will pick up light from the window. Get plain white curtains.

--Keep the loveseat you have. Or if it's worn out, replace it with a two seater, up on legs so it's light and not builky, If you get a two-seat sofa and it faces the bed, get a very narrow bookcase to put against its back for storage. Don't even think about a sectional. You don't have room.

Lexicon Damala Mid-Century Solid Wood Frame Loveseat in Gray · More Info

--Or replace a sofa and get two small barrel chairs--smallest dimensions possible. Note how little visual space this chair takes up. That cute side table, if you don't get storage ottoman, also opens up the space. Look for side tables, not coffee tables. You don't have room unless it's a storage ottoman and does double duty.

--Remove all the little clutter--plastic vines, small art. Put your art work over the bed facing the window.

--Bathroom: Declutter, declutter, declutter. Then:

--Put up floating shelves that can accommodate small baskets.

--Get plain white shower urtain with a shower liner. The red is dreary. This look is clean and simple.

This is from Amazon. Something on the wall takes up less space than the setup you have.

--Get the tiniest wastebasket and put it under the sink. Get cabinet organizers for under the sink.

So say goodbye to clutter, large coffee table, little art works. Start with a clean slate.

• Kendrah
    8 days ago

It is hard to flip through and piece together all of the different photos with measurements. Can you just sketch a little stick figure floor plan, include doorways and windows, and all of the measurements? It would be really helpful.

Also list all the furniture that you own and want to keep and the measurements.

I love a good pre-war studio. Your floors and molding are beautiful. Nice light too.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    8 days ago

Rosie, I posted a million photos of studio apts and how to use room dividers.

Did you look at any of the pictures I gave you? do you like any of them to copy?

Here's just one of the photos I posted. I'm sure you could do something like this

• Rosie G
    Original Author
    8 days ago

Hi, yes, I am loving all of these options that everyone is sending. It really is helping me picture it completely different. I didn’t realize I was cluttering everything together. I’m looking at all the photos that you guys have sent. I really cannot thank you guys so much I was going crazy trying to come up with an idea for a fresh new look. I’ve been here for 10 years. Here’s the rest of my studio .. I moved the table (had it up where the small wall next to my window is).

• Rosie G
    Original Author
    8 days ago

Also, would appreciate any artwork and plants suggestions. I know my paintings have to go!

• Rosie G
    Original Author
    8 days ago

Really want a new couch first yes I was hoping something. A little bit bigger would fit, but I guess it’s not ideal. This one is kind of worn out at this point.

• Rosie G
    Original Author
    8 days ago

Dimensions of windows and radiator.. are you saying I should put my loveseat in front of the radiator? Move the drawers to where the loveseat was and turn my bed facing towards the window ?

• Denise Marchand
    8 days ago

I love these studio apartments to be multifunctional and comfortable.

Take a look at Clei Murphy Bed Wall Systems from Italy. This is the smartest all-encompassing system for small spaces. Well designed (those Italians!) and comes in several finishes. It's pricey, but considering all the furniture pieces it includes, it's not so out there. It's worth it to see the reels online showing the easy operation. (sse the links below) You will have room for a lounge chair (but maybe not your loveseat).

Using the long wall facing the window, you can accommodate a good amount of storage-display-sofa-bed, all tucked away and company won't be sitting on your bed (yuck).

Consider a Smeg fridge, it's cute and again comes in finishes and might fit in your kitchen facing the entry. We can discuss the arrangement and accessories for the kitchen some other post.

On the window wall, you then can accommodate the table perpendicular to the window (over the radiator), dresser on one side and dressing table on the other (where the fridge is now).

After you decide on the layout, paint the walls a rich color and dress the windows.

Here is your existing floor plan. If the dimensions are off, correct it and repost.

Here's the proposed plan indicating the Clei Bed Wall System

https://resourcefurniture.com/collections/wall-beds?utm_medium=ppc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=US%20Excluding%20Showroom%20[Murphy%20Beds]

https://casadesigngroup.com/products/swing-wall-bed?pr_prod_strat=e5_desc&pr_rec_id=cc6a73e96&pr_rec_pid=4812824838178&pr_ref_pid=4812286165026&pr_seq=uniform

https://www.clei.it/en/penelope-2-sofa

• Denise Marchand
    8 days ago

As far as art is concerned, support your local artists! and stay away from commercial art. Or enlarge and frame a favorite travel photo, something personal.

• Olychick
    8 days ago

Denise, that was so nice of you to draw out the plan.

• Kendrah
    7 days ago

You’ve lived here for 10 years so know well how you use the space.

-Do you have people over, how often, do you sit at the table with them to eat? Do you sit on the sofa or bed together?

- Where do you typically eat? Bed, sofa, table?

- How much fridge space do you use? Are you willing to spend your own money on a smaller fridge and what would your budget be?

- Add a pic of the inside of your closet? How well organized is it, are you maximizing space? Do you have an organizer on the inside door of the closet?

Could you put the contents of your dresser in your closet, get rid of the dresser in favor of a nightstand with drawers, or a more functional table location without the dresser in the picture?

- Go through your entire closet and purge whatever you can.

- Go through the entire contents of your bathroom and purge whatever you can.

- Consider flow and fuction first. Then think about art and plants.

Lastly, I live in a NYC apartment and space is always a concern. I’ve recently realized that a fantastic arm chair with ottoman is every bit as comfortable as a sofa and is much less visually dominant in the space. I didn’t warm up to this idea quickly - only after test sitting in a lot of great arm chairs in stores and buying a like new used one from FB marketplace.

What coty are you in?

• njmomma
    7 days ago

@Denise Marchand is amazing with small spaces!

You are so lucky she had the time to post on your thread. You just got Professional advice for free!

• freedomplace1
    7 days ago
    last modified: 7 days ago

A room divider could make your spaces feel more separate, even if you don’t completely cover the bed with it. When you have company, you could close it off a bit more.

And something like this ottoman would be comfortable to put your feet up on, plus it has storage as an extra bonus.

https://www.lampsplus.com/products/baxton-studio-elias-gray-velvet-tufted-storage-ottoman__97e72.html

You have a nice space. Spacious and charming. I love studio apartments such as this. :)

• Rosie G
    Original Author
    7 days ago

Hi thank you Denise for the layout you drew for me me. Truly appreciate this! Yes those measurements are correct. I’m in Brooklyn nyc.. I’m just trying to understand the comments in terms of moving my bed long ways and placing the loveseat properly
    To optimize space.

• Denise Marchand
    7 days ago

You are welcome and I hope it helps. I thought I smelled the best place on earth! Love Brooklyn and used to hang out in Red Hook at Sunny's! I'm in LA now but my heart is on the East coast.

It's always a challenge to figure out a space with the crazy information given by OP. It also helps other posters to see what's what.

Will still work on other floor plans without the Clei System, but you should really go see it. Located at Resource Furniture 969 Third Ave (58th) 4th floor, NYC , bring your dimensions. And maybe they have a floor sample for sale that fits your space.

Not sure about that comment about bed long ways. Your space is limited and not many choices, but it can be a jewel. If you have ever gone to Milan, on Via Montenapoleone, the luxury shops are so tiny and each is like a caress of the senses with the colors and incredible details. Your place can be the same.

I don't know what your budget is, but start with the Clei System, it solves every issue and is so practical. I've designed many studios in NY and a Murphy Bed is the way to go. It's a regular mattress, comfortable, and so easy to operate.

• Denise Marchand
    7 days ago

It's always my pleasure to guide someone with small spaces and design challenges. Maybe it will give the person a new way to see their space. Also when the OP comments, it helps, even if it's "That's a good idea, but that's not what I'm going to do." hehe Most of the time the help here gets crickets. (Kind of disrespectful) Thank you, Rosie, your reply is appreciated.

• housegal200
    6 days ago

I'd be interested in seeing, now, the bed and loveseat repositioned in some of the suggested ways. For example, move coffee table out of the way for now, and face loveseat to bed with dresser next to it. And some of the others. Get some felt pads to put under the furniture.

• housegal200
    6 days ago

I am posting the following because a lot of the back and forth here--and we really want to help the Design Dilemma poster--is due to her not posting photos of ALL FOUR SIDES OF HER SPACE! Do that upfront, people, so you get the best possible suggestions.

Here is how to post a Design Dilemma to get the best results. You need to show the whole space—all four sides of an entire space—even if it’s about one specific Dilemma.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6417709/unofficial-design-dilemma-boot-camp

Keep in mind that you're inviting some design pros and people with a design eye into your home via photos. If they walked into your actual space, they would take in all of it: all four sides, doorways, floors, windows, ceiling, trim--the "givens"--then the features that can be changed--furnishings, paint, art, rugs, decor items, etc. It's all one first impression. Same thing with photos. That's why it's important to provide well lit photos of the entire space, taken from all sides of a room regardless of the size of your problem.

• Rosie G
    Original Author
    6 days ago

Hi Denise thanks for the comment back! It’s really helpful. This is a rental so I’m not sure if I can have the Clej system installed in my apartment? Would be helpful to know if it’s good for a rental or only if I own it and how the installation process is. I’m not trying to spend a crazy amount but this does seem like the most practical idea to solve the space solution. I was looking for a new loveseat initially only but if the Clei system is worth it I would def get it.

• Rosie G
    Original Author
    6 days ago

@housegal200 as mentioned, I am new to this. Afterwards, I did post proper pics of my apartment with measurements. Thank you.

• Denise Marchand
    6 days ago

The installation of Clei Bed Systems is very simple, but must be done by a professional installer. It only bolts to the wall with four attachments on each section. Here's the installation instructions if you're interested. No need to worry about disassembling and moving if necessary, and patching the wall.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0627/0055/2365/files/Oslo_Assembly_Instructions.pdf?v=1675452912

• Kendrah
    6 days ago

I’d consider a rectangluar drop leaf table along the wall to the right side of your bed. Use it as a bedside table, desk, solo dining table, and pull it out from the wall when guests come.

Check out an apartment sized sofa to put between your fridge

and the wall, where your table had been. Loveseats can look like a clunky shrunken down sofa. Apartment sized sofas have all around better proportions for smaller spaces.

Just these two new pieces along with secluttering and new art will give your place a new feel. FB Marletplace, Craigslist, Buy Nothing in Brooklyn will have great finds.

You can also paint your fridge a mellow color so it doesnt stand out as much.

• Rosie G
    Original Author
    6 days ago

Hi thanks for the advice! I’m currently trying out the different layouts you all suggested. Let me know what you think .. this is just with bed and loveseat rearranged.

• Rosie G
    Original Author
    6 days ago

What do you think of this setup? Or does it make the room look smaller?

• Rosie G
    Original Author
    6 days ago

Another angle

• housegal200
    6 days ago

Thank you for decluttering and for trying out different layouts. They're all a big improvement. I vote for #2 for these reasons:

--The loveseat faces one of the best features of your space: the back wall with the panels where I'm going to suggest some art below. The back of the loveseat also separates the walkway to the kitchen behind it. And, best of all, that layout visually separates sleeping area and living room area because the bed and loveseat are perpendicular, i.e. separate, yet grounded by the rug.

With that layout, I'm going to suggest some decorating upgrades.

--Take down that plastic vine once and for all. Move your large art work there.

--Start looking for three great vertical art works for each of the panels on the back wall. This will pull the eye up and back, giving a visual sense of space. In a city apartment with just one window, it's nice to have something that suggests the sky with a little gold to echo your great floors. Three vertical pieces also highlight the structural panels, a nice feature of your apartment. These are all from society6.com, a great source of original designers reproduced in all sizes, framed or unframed. Get tall ones to add height to your space.

Let the sunshine in:

Society6.com also has pillows and throws with great designs for your bed and loveseat. Get one large pillow sham against the back wall in a color pulled from whatever art work you choose. Upgrade your loveseat pillows similarly.

--Get a white bamboo shade for your window. It will give you privacy but allow light in.

--Since the space is small, just have the basics: bed, loveseat, long, low media/storage console ,small rund dining table, really nice, low upholstered dining chairs than can be pulled into the space when you have people over. Right now you have too many random pieces, plus they're all dark. Get light colored pieces. In New York, people are always downsizing their Ikea pieces. Set up alerts on Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist for low, long media console, small white tulip table, small, two low upholstered dining chairs.

--Get an Ikea or some other long, low single piece that runs below the panelled wall from your bed to the edge of the kitchen. It can be a bookcase turns sideways with baskets below for storage. Look for the term "media" shelf whether new or used. Something like the white piece in this photo. At that height, it will also serve as a nighttable next to your bed. Find one in white. You need more storage.

My Houzz: Kid-Friendly DIY Charm in Southern California · More Info

--Get a less bedroom-y coverlet for your bed or a textured throw in golds and creams.

--You have beautiful floors, but the rug doesn't do anything for it. Get something textured with some golden tones to echo the floor--this palette, not necessarily this rug.

Safavieh Evoke Collection EVK236 Rug, Gray/Gold, 6'7" Square · More Info

• housegal200
    5 days ago

This studio from Apartment Therapy reminds me of yours, also in NYC. Here's a tour of it: https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/glam-manhattan-studio-photos-37393513

By the way, Apartment Therapy features many, many studios so check it out for great space saving ideas. This renter also has a loveseat, small round table, a couple interesting chairs, and fridge in the middle of all of it! That's a New York City studio for you.

• PRO
    Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
    5 days ago

Here are a couple options building on all the other great suggestions. In plan A, I suggest a curtain divider that curves around the bed. In plan B, I turned the dresser to put it at the foot of the bed. Both would help hide the bed as the first thing you see as you enter the apartment. The Target headboard provides some storage including a charging station, is reasonably priced and, I think, looks good. I don't think you have room for a sectional but you could do a reclining loveseat that allows you to kick back a little and put up your feet, but isn't in the way all of the time. If you can, at all, move the refrigerator in the kitchen. If not, oh well, not a deal breaker. I would also invest in installing a counter over the radiator. That space could be an office, vanity, TV console, etc....

Curtain divider

Target headboard

Counter over radiator

Reclining Loveseat

• Rosie G
    Original Author
    4 days ago

Hi everyone ! I’ve been trying different layouts and have attached one more photo. Let me know your thoughts…

@housegal200 thank you for your suggestion. I actually have my kitchen right next to where the fridge is.. the closet in the second photo is where the back of the loveseat is, which is why I did not push it up directly against the closet door.

@madden I do love the idea of the counter over the radiator idea as I feel the radiator takes up so much extra space and is useless right now. Will definitely be looking into that.

I rearranged it one more time. Please see the picture as I feel there was less space with the loveseat faced towards the closet door, but not directly pushed up against it. Let me know your thoughts on this arrangement.

• Rosie G
    Original Author
    4 days ago

Other angles .. thoughts? Really appreciate it!

• Denise Marchand
    4 days ago

Try moving around the loveseat again, to an angle near the window. This way you can have a shelf along the window over the radiator from fridge to bathroom wall. If you add a full height mirror on the side of the fridge (3" wider than the depth of the fridge) it will double the light and window.

Use the area next to your bed for the make-up area and place the cabinet at the foot of the bed.

Have wood tops, all the same finish, cut to size for the window shelf, table top, bookcase at bed side, and makeup top. Keeping all the tops the same will expand the space.

• Kendrah
    4 days ago

Your latest pics are great. So much more spacious and your dresser is really nice now that we can see it. I'd live with it like this for a week and see what you think.

Any reason why your sofa is pushed up against the end of your bed instead of centered between the end of your bed and the kitchen doorway?

I like Denise's idea of a mirror on the side of your fridge. And, while I didn't like the faux plant vine on your wall, I'm now kind of digging how it frames your bed. I think you should either leave it or hang something that similarly outines the head of your bed.

• Olychick
    4 days ago

this just popped up for me and I thought of this thread...reminds me of your room and furnishings:

I thought the loveseat placement was interesting, as was the curtain treatment.

• Cara Fidler
    4 days ago
    last modified: 4 days ago

Hi, I have lived in a few studio apartments myself. Next to the bed I would put a credenza so that the bed is separated from the rest of the room and it will give you a bit of privacy. I had a long wicker credenza next to my twin bed in one studio and it looked nice. I would move the big chair or replace it with a smaller one. Keep the space uncluttered and neat and tidy. You could put the desk on a diagonal and put the chair where the desk is possibly. I suggest a futon in lieu of a sofa. They look nice and you can buy one at WalMart for about 269. Good luck.

• housegal200
    3 days ago

You're such a good sport moving things around. So I'm changing my vote to this:

Here are my final thoughts:

--Yes to TV on the dresser the way you have it. That setup does double duty and involves no new purchase.

--Float your small dining table to window side of the room or in corner on that side. It should not be in bed area. Get a small scale modern chair on legs for your table as below.

--Move rug back so you have clear floor walkway all the way to other side. That's your clear pathway that connects all your areas.

--Move large art work over the bed and, again, lose the dust collecting fake vine.

--Order three pieces of vertical art for each of the three panels on the current loveseat wall so you see wonderful art as you enter your space.

--Change all window coverings to white--could be white bamboo shades or curtains. Ditto shower curtain. This gives you a light backdrop for art and other pieces where you can add color and pattern.

Good luck with your place.

• Rosie G
    Original Author
    3 days ago

@Denise I def have thought about moving my loveseat at a diagonal as your drawing suggested. I was only concerned about losing space, but I think that behind it would be perfect for a plant even a tall floor lamp. I actually rearranged it and I’ve uploaded the photos. Let me know your thoughts on this arrangement. It’s a little snug, but I think it actually gives the appearance of being larger with this setup.

Apologies in advance for the messy corner where I moved the table lol ! Can be hard for a girl to move!

• freedomplace1
    3 days ago
    last modified: 3 days ago

Do you ever have company? I am not a big entertainer, myself. But i have lived in studio apartments; and personally never liked just having a bed sitting out in the space, without the option of being able to close off the bed area with a divider, etc. - or alternatively, have some type of sofa bed that offers the option of being able to just have a sofa set up. And I prefer this, whether I have company or not. I’m also not a Murphy bed fan. Pulling it down, putting it back up. And you have to allow for the space that the bed takes up when it’s down; so unless it‘s a huge space (and sometimes even if it is a huge space), it can be hard to furnish around it. So Murphy bed seems like a great idea in theory - but in reality, imo, not so much.

imo, there was nothing wrong with your original layout. But you need something to divide the space. And imo, this is still going to be the case - wherever you end up putting the furniture. And people here will have you moving the furniture all over the world...

I understand some of the principles of Feng Shui. So when I look at spaces, I have this in mind. Therefore, my view is very directed; and I don’t have to guess where and how the furniture should go - from a Feng Shui perspective, I can clearly see it.

And ultimately, it all depends on what ”feels” the best to any given person, at any given time Looking nice is great... but if the space doesn’t “feel” good - there is no point.

• Denise Marchand
    3 days ago
    last modified: 3 days ago

I like the loveseat on an angle near the window! It seems like the perfect spot, and if you do the counters and angled table, you it will look even better.

Try turning the dresser to the foot of the bed, facing the fridge. I don't like the dresser not being centered under the moulding. Not sure you have the room, but that's the nice thing about furniture, you can move it around til it finds a home.

Also, is there anyway you can fit the fridge in the kitchen facing the kitchen entry? It's so disturbing in the main space. Investing in a 24" deep fridge and smaller will change the entire space. I know you will lose some space in the kitchen, but you can add a pantry cabinet in the main space where the fridge is now, for all the kitchen extras. Buy a Metro rack 12" deep for the kitchen and the tallest as you can find, the bottom for the trashcan and the top shelves for stuff, even if it overlaps the window.

Design Tip: when you walk into a room, your focus is on the far corner from the entry. This is the reason the fridge stands out so much, it's the main attraction. Maybe covering it in removable wallpaper?

I had an open kitchen in an old apartment and I hated seeing the side of the oven. I had a giant canvas leaned on the side of it and it helped tremendously.

Try Floor Plan#6 - you are almost there. Invest in a rug as large as can fit. I have had enormous success with Facebook Marketplace and craigslist, where you can find find rugs for the best prices. Just bring it to get professionally cleaned before you bring it into your home and get a good under pad. It's worth the price.

This is the plan with the fridge:

This is the plan with a 24" deep fridge in the kitchen and using your round table as your makeup table. I like this plan the best, for design and function. What do you think?

• PRO
    lisedv
    2 days ago
    last modified: 2 days ago

I based my floorplan on the one posted above by Denise Marchand. Lots of good suggestions have been given and the way you moved your furniture around already looks much better. Below is another option showing a 79 inch long sofa you wanted. Everything suggested is not too expensive but it's important that you make an overall plan before starting your purchases so that if the cost is over your budget you can complete your decor over time.