SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
craftyrn

tgif10/10/08

craftyrn
15 years ago

TGIF-- as I "clink " with my green tea chai .

another Friday-- gosh this year is going fast-- we've had a couple frosts already & colors are past peak & leaves are falling fast !

What I should do this weekend is get ahead on leaf raking but as usual I'll wait to see how much gets blown away & then have Hubby do a couple runs with the mower LOL.

Nothing much going on here--Hubby left this am for 4 days of Black Powder/muzzle loading up North so I'm on my own.

Have a GD's field Hockey game later today plus a PT session then Curves-- tomorrow's the Pumpkin patch with one of the GSs-- & I have 1/2 bushel of apples waiting to be made into applesauce & apple butter.

Sometime in the next 2 days have to finish filling up the "kindling" trash can-- there's enough small broken branches( laying scattered around the lawn ) from our trees to last the winter-- but it's been so wet.

Should do some work on stuff for our craft show the 25th too but I have a new Lora Leigh novel to settle into-- good way to forget about the Financial crisis for a day or so-- Thank God for NYS pensions , paid up mortgage,

paid for vehicles & credit card debt under $1500.00 and my parents & Doc's parents for instilling in us a " pay as you go or do without" attitude .

Stay safe all-- have a good wekend.

Comments (28)

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Toasting you with my thermos full of Mexican coffee - clink! I fixed a thermos today because I am taking a day of vacation and have the time to leisurely drink more coffee.

Today I am going to work on 2 baby quilts for friends' new grandchildren. It's gray and cloudy this morning with a chance of rain - a good time to stay indoors. I think I will turn off the radio so my day isn't spoiled by the news.

Have a good weekend everyone!
    Teresa

• maggie2094
    15 years ago

A shaky clink back with my coffee. These are scary times.

It is a beautiful October day here.

Crafty, that sounds like a nice relaxing weekend.
    Teresa, Enjoy your day and yes no radio is probably a good idea today. Sigh. Mexican coffee sounds really good.

We are having a yard sale tomorrow. My first! Trying to figure out how to price everything. Hoping we might make enough to make a dent in the next oil delivery. My son has a birthday party on Sunday right smack in the middle of the day. May send the hubs and the girls will stay home.

• Related Discussions

Quote, 08/29/10

Q

Comments (1)
    Good ones! I love the second one
    ...See More

Quote, 10/08/2010

Q

Comments (2)
    Sandburg cuts right through to the core: nothing lasts forever, so enjoy the good and if things are not so good, wait for the good to come around again - it will.
    ...See More

TGIF 8-10-07 Is it hot where you are at:)

Q

Comments (18)
    TGIF for sure!! I've been on the road all week and I'm glad to be home FINALLY!! Stacie, hot as heck here too...but I LOVE summer so the heat doesn't bother me at all. I'll take it over winter and cold temps.....yuck. Linda, I know for sure you will have a great time with the girls....I still remember when I finally figured out your forum name. Katie, congrats to beating the big "C" pal! I'm still shocked at how you pulled that off at camp last year. I still love you stemless glass tip! Pat, I missed the culinary school thing. Too cool! I'd love to read your blog or at least follow up here on the forum. What a trooper you are with all you've been through the last couple of years. Lindac, I'm thinking you will be there reguardless....I know you love those Grandkids of yours. Stay cool whatever you decide. Nancy, have a great time with your company....sixties would be okay but I'm loving 87 at ten....perfect for skinny dippin'! Gina, you sure are a busy lady. I wouldn't think you need lessons with all of the ping pong playing you've been doing. I hope the new paddle does ya good! Give Odo a little belly rub for me too....I'm thinking he is there cheering you on. Lars, great temps, but I guess that's the CA coast for ya. Hope you and Larry have a good weekend. Andi, Linda's pickles are WORTH the nine day effort for sure!! I love them...and they are CRUNCHY after all of those boiling soaks. Jo, 58 sounds like it's close to winter to me...LOL! San, glad to hear you had a great time at the cottage. I see you have been up to some other fun too...I'm REALLY jelous over that one. Hot here too, triple digit temps are forcasted through next week here. I've been on the road all week and glad to be home....so is Lucy. I'm headed back to the city tomorrow to take in a little of the PGA...Tiger ended the day very good today. I'll be doing some more canning tomorrow evening...that a general chores sum up my weekend so far.....ya never know who may show up at the lake. Have a GREAT weekend everyone!!! David
    ...See More

TGIF 10-21-08 Happy Halloween

Q

Comments (12)
    Linda, Time is marching on for me too although I caught myself saying dogs instead of dog the other day and broke down, Other than that I've been staying strong. I really like your spooky village! Did you get it at Michaels?? I have 2 buildings from the Michaels line but I don't really decorate for halloween so much. We don't get too many kids here anymore...mostly big obnoxious kids who barely wear a costume LOL!! Annie, Happy Birthday to Amanda and The Princess!! I love the ketchup/mustard idea!! Too cute!! Giane, I love apple butter with pretzels! Enjoy the craft fair-didn't you say there were several craft fairs over the next couple weekends?? Katie, OUCH!! Poor hubby-Poor you!! I will send extra healing thoughts your way!! Rhome, Sorry about your friend...I will join you with that cider! Shaun, every year sometime between Christmas and New Years my friend host a "bring all your grub" party where everyone bring all those little bits of cheese trays, lunch meats, casseroles, sweets ectleft over from Christmas...its really a lot of fun!! Barnmom, Costume changes?? LOL What fun!! Hope you have fun dishing out treats to the wee ones at your friends house!! Sharon, Have fun at the pub...I already made soup so I am staying in!! Gina...that is some devil dog LOL!! Today was fun fun fun!! I took Helenes advice and went over to our target area very early to see what the traffic was like. It took me 19 minutes to get there from my job!! Of course there was NO TRAFFIC since EVERYBODY and their brother was heading INTO Philly for the parade LOL!!! My target area is nearby NJ. So I did see the house from the outside. Very cute!! We'll see if we like it from the inside when we tour it on Sunday. I walked around a bit...even took my mail to the post office there in town and mailed some cards LOL! Then I drove to the battlefield on the river, which is now a National Park (hence the town name National Park). I sat there and read thru some home books. Its really nice to have such a lovely park right there in town!! Tonight I am having one special trick or treater stopping by...dear great neice Alexia!! I don't know what they are dressing her as so it should be fun!! I got her some books and animal crackers!! She is 10 months now and just starting to walk/wobble!! Drew is still at the parade with his girlfriend and her family. Both of us have to work tomorrow-jeez its funny saying that LOL! Sunday we are going on house tours. I hope everyone has a fun Halloween!! Cheers! Susie
    ...See More
  • maggie2094
    15 years ago

Oh, Crafty - by relaxing I meant homey! It sure is a busy one! LOL

• loagiehoagie
    15 years ago

Going to be a nice weekend weather-wise here. Might hit 80 degrees and the leaves haven't started to change at all. Only 6 dogs at the house, and that is more than manageable. Nice number for the $$$ without a ton of stress involved.

Might get the garden tilled and ready to plant garlic. Still haven't done it. Better get busy with that. Started on some bean soup and everytime I start soup the weather warms up and I'm not in the mood! So the broth will stay in the fridge. It will be fine for a few days.

Trying not to dwell on the economy. My wife's 401k went down 18k last week. Yikes! Thank goodness we aren't near retirement age yet. Staying the course....staying the course...we've had these bad bumps before and best to wait it out.

These cool nights have been so nice I've slept like a rock! Really feels good waking up after a deep sleep.

Clinking with my morning coffee!

Hope everyone has a super weekend.

Duane

• cotehele
    15 years ago

Good Morning!

Crafty-enjoy the Pumpkin Patch! It does sound good to be with family.
    Teresa-what lucky friends who get your quilts! Gotta have music here, so the radio is on.
    Maggie-good luck with your sale. Fingers crossed for little haggling and lots of buying.
    Duane-I am a dog lover, but two is my limit-we foster Goldens but don't board.

I woke up early and could not go back to sleep. Got up, made a huge cup of tea, checked the news, worked on the kitchen layout and made biscuits for DH's breakfast. Doing laundry, working outside while it's cool and trying to think of something for supper. DS comes over on Fridays.

No specific plans for the weekend; plenty crops up to do anyway, LOL.

I must clink with swiss chard cream soup, the tea is long gone.

Enjoy the weekend- hope it is the best.

Judy

• annie1992
    15 years ago

I agree, Duane, it'll be fine. I never panic, Wall Street can do what it's going to and my worry isn't going to make a difference. And, since I've never voted for a winning presidential candidate ever in my whole life, none of this political mess is my fault either, LOL.

Amanda is sick with bronchitis and needs a break. She's going to stay home all weekend and take antibiotics while I keep Bud and Makayla. We're planning to ride the Pumpkin Train in Coopersville, do some baking and generally get some "grandma time". I need it.

Annie

• susie_que
    15 years ago

Clinking with crystal light strawberry drink-yummo!!

Nice, no beautiful day here in Philadelphia! Its already in the 70's and bright and sunny.

My Fridays have been nice and relaxing since I have lost contact with my mother...her decision. Seems she doesn't care much for me these days what with me standing up to her ect...She told me in no uncertain terms that she doesn't want nor need anything from me, I did make 3 attempts to speak to her and all 3 times she hung up on me. Oh well.
    I am just going to let her be awhile. She did mention to another sibling she regrets what she said and does plan on apologizing so we'll see.

So I took Drew to school, went to the gym for a short workout (still recovering from a nasal crud running around) so I an trying to take it easy.

Then I headed to walmart to get some fall silk flowers-ran into a great sale on leftover summer attire so I treated myself to some pull on capri pants for $3. Just pack then away for next spring although I could wear them today its so nice out!!

Then I stopped at the store to get some groceries.

Drew has a few pals coming over to watch todays Phillies game so I got his fave hot dogs (oscar mayer cheese dogs) for him and his pals to nosh on while I make a roast beef dinner...supper will be late as the game will no doubt go until 7ish and DD is coming home this weekend for fall break and wont be here till 7:30 anyhow.

Tomorrow I have to work all afternoon but should be home by the time the Flyers game comes on....

Sunday is my birthday but we have no plans...money is tight as we are saving to move plus I have to work anyway. I really don't need anything-guess I am getting to that age where if I need or want something I just go out and get it.
    Frank and the kids will prob cook me dinner.

Everyone please have a happy and safe autumn weekend!

Cheers!
    Susie

• stacy3
    15 years ago

diane, sounds like you have lots going on. Our leaves are just about peak this weekend - so I really want to squeeze in some time to get out with the camera...

Teresa, enjoy your day off - sometimes those gray days are perfect, you don't have to feel guilty about not going out and enjoying the nice weather...weve got solid sunshine in our forecast but I"m not complainin!

maggie, good luck with your yard sale! I am going to take the liberty to post these great words of wisdom gotten from this forum over 3 years ago...I saved it - it just seemed so smart. :-)

Yard - Garage sale info * Posted by: Colo_Lady (My Page) on Mon, Apr 25, 05 at 11:32

I have a friend who is an expert at these. He helped me at one I did last year and I walked away with almost $1,500. Here's what I learned:

- advertise if you can but be prepared for people to show up before the hour that you said you would start. I had a guy come to the house the night before - he was a dealer and waved some cash. At first I thought, "Hey, that's not fair!" and then I realized, fair for WHOM? I wanted money for my stuff, he had money for my stuff. It didn't matter WHO bought it.

- do not price things as new - no one will buy them. If the objective is to get rid of stuff and make a little money, price accordingly. Remember, the stuff that doesn't get sold goes to charity and you get nothing. Never mind what you paid for it - how much is it worth to someone else? Figure that out and then go a little lower. If you really want to stick to a price, like on an antique or something, write "Firm" on the tag. Use easy-peel tags (nothing worse than not being able to get that danged price tag off when you get something home).

- Place signs in obvious areas - try to get the flourescent posterboard and make the arrows big. We just used flourescent boards and large arrows - people who go to these things know what that means.

- place large things (furniture) down by the street to attract attention and because no one can walk off with them.

- put things up on tables - no one likes to have to squat down to look at everything. Group like things together.

- have an extension cord out there so electric things can be plugged in to see if they work.

- have a box full of FREE stuff. Everyone loves free.

- have a radio playing - not loud - not head-bashing music - perhaps a little light jazz or maybe light country if you hate jazz (classical may also work but is less likely to get people in the buying mood).

- have lots of change available including coins and $1's. Don't keep the cash or cashbox where someone can walk off with it. That CAN happen.

- some people really like to negotiate - price your items so there's a little wiggle room to let it go for less. People like to think they got a real good deal. (Some people are not comfortable doing this - they'll just pay your asking price or walk away.) Some people will ask you what is the lowest price you'll be willing to let soemthing go for - prepare to answer that kind of question.

- Smile, be friendly, talk to people. Wave to epople driving by or slowing to look. Say hi to people, ask them how their day is going, comment on the weather, be friendly and BE APPROACHABLE.

- HAVE FUN! This guy was out in my driveway wearing a big straw hat and a funny t-shirt. Everyone loved to be around him. Are you SURE you don't have a friend who would help you?? Who will watch your stuff if you have to go to the washroom?

That's all I can think of - GOOD LUCK!

* Posted by: lowspark (My Page) on Mon, Apr 25, 05 at 12:36

Excellent advice from cololady! Here's what I can add from the point of view of an experienced "garage sailer":

Those neon colored posters, get all the same color so that once someone sees one of your signs, they know that they are following the correct signs to get to your sale.

Put your address on the signs in addition to the arrows. Make it readable - large black letters. It's also helpful to put the date and times on the signs so folks know that the signs aren't old, or when the sale is if you're putting signs up early.

Put a sign with arrows on EVERY corner where someone has to turn to get to your house. I hate to see a sign on the major street that says, GARAGE SALE 1234 ELM STREET. Then you turn into the neighborhood and can't find Elm street and no signs to guide you. Don't assume folks know where Elm street is - make sure they can find it!

Please, please take all your signs down after the sale is over. Otherwise the following week, you'll fool people into thinking there's a sale at your house.

Have your child (or neighborhood kid) sell cold canned drinks for 50 or 75 cents each - big seller and the kid gets to make a few $$ too!

Open early. 730 or 8 am. Any later than that and you'll lose business from early birds. Be prepared for business to drop off after lunch, usually by 2, the day is over.

I definitely agree with colo's pricing advice - remember, the buyer doesn't care how much YOU paid for something. They only care what THEY are willing to pay for it. I can't tell you how many times I've offered a lower price for something at a GS and had the seller say, Oh, no, I paid $xx for it, I can't let it go for less than that. I walk away when I get that answer. I'm not saying they HAVE to negotiate, but just don't give that excuse for not wanting to. Whatever you paid, that money is gone forever. Forget that money. What you need to concentrate on is what it's going to bring you today.

If you have more than one person working the sale, make sure on of you is "boss" -- meaning that person gets to do all negotiating and decision making as to what price items go for. Otherwise, you'll get conflicting answers to the same person and that can end up costing you.

Don't argue with the customer. If someone offers you a price, you can negotiate back up but once you hit your lowest price, end of conversation. I remember at one sale, the seller was arguing in a loud voice with a buyer, "It's only a dollar! What's a dollar!?" That's offensive. Negotiating - ok. Arguing or pushing - bad idea.

duane, I agree - bean soup calls for cool weather...even though it's been quite warm here - in the high 60's and 70's - it's still definitely fall - with frosts and cold nights too. I sure wish I could sleep like a rock - one night is all I'd ask for, really!

Judy, that soup sounds great!

awww, Annie. How wonderful for all of you that you all have each other! I hope Amanda feels better soon - I'm sure that time will do her loads of good. And you too. I hope we get to see lots of cute pictures!

Happy Birthday Susie - Hope that dinner is fabulous!

It's a 4 day weekend here. Sunday night our neighbors are hosting a party to welcome some new folks to the neighborhood. I am taking Debbie's bloody mary shots with the shrimp (since it's a fall - soup theme) and have some vodka infusing with cinnamon and apples for some kind of cider martinis - and am baking some "epi" bread. Also I will take creme brulee since Diana's thread made me order a torch - (fun!).

Stacy

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Good morning to everyone on what is a chilly Friday here. They are promising sun and 60 degrees over the weekend, so that'll be nice.

I'm still working away at dealing with my crop of green tomatoes, since even after 3 batches of salsa, a few batches of green tomato pie filling, and eating some as they turn ripe and throwing others into almost any dinner I make, my island is still half covered.

Also, I need to organize the freezer to get more in, and hope to get the building material scraps out of what's supposed to be our sewing/craft room, vacuum the construction dust out of my sewing machine and finally hem those shorts my son's been after me about for a few weeks. (Yes, he wants shorts shortened now, as the temps dip down near freezing...) But it will be nice to have a place to sew again after 2 1/2 years.

Happy weekending to you all!

• velodoug
    15 years ago

It's T shirt weather again here on the shore, but that's typical of NJ. We don't seem to have a proper Autumn any more. The frequency of cool days increases, the frequency of warm days decreases, and then around Thanksgiving it turns really cold for a few days and we start watching for snow.

But it's beautiful out today, I have some nice big scallops to put on the grill, and I think there's a bottle or two of Bass left in the fridge.

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

clunking with a plastic cup of diet coke with lime. I am at lunch at my office. Just read the economic news and am wishing I didn't. So I will make like Cleopatra, queen of denial- can't do a thing but wait anyway.

We have had yard sales for years. Now I prefer to sell big items Craigs List. Less work for me. But yard sales can be fun- but we had our first on 20 some years ago and the novelty has worn off.

T shirt weather here in Baltimore too. Just when I was starting to think about soup. I will wait on that.

My DD used to play college FH last year and a friend of mine has invited me to her FH game on Sunday- she is the head coach of a Division I university team in town so that will be fun.

Last weekend one of our goldens, Cooper came up lame and is on rimadyl so we will have to skip our off leash runs this weekend. I think we enjoy them almost as much as they do.

My DD is coming home from college this weekend to chill and study for midterms next week so that will be fun to see her.

Have a good weekend folks!

• bunnyman
    15 years ago

Annie I'm sorry to hear about Amanda. Seems to be a gang of bad bugs going around... the creeping crud gang I think. Lots of people hit with it at work the last couple weeks. Some sort of cold/flu/uti combo.

I'm working this weekend. Not happy times at all. Managment cleaned house yesterday... top dog resigned, two fired, two demoted. A good day to be a little dog. New business is looking brighter... not a done deal far as I know but there is more hope this week.

Fish day at the deli counter so I have to leave early and pick some up. Taking a bottle of vinegar to work with me... probably have to eat alone. Hope cold bugs like vinegar 'cause I'm gonna drown them in it.

: )
    lyra

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

I love reading everyone's plans for the weekend!
    Here we are quiet and there's just the two of us as holidays are over for our friend who was here visiting and my jetlag is wearing off now after two weeks at home.

We've had intermittent sun and showers since last night but the temps are still warm. I made the mistake of putting on some nylons (just 1/2 hose) while we went out for lunch and as we sat outside it was too sticky and hot and I was wishing I'd worn bare feet and sandals. So it's transition weather and nice to see some rain.

Guess I'll tidy the fridge and do a bit of grocery shopping. My computer is down at the repairshop and I'm fighting with DH's German QWERTZ keyboard where the keys are all in the wrong place! lol.

My family in Canada are planning their Thanksgiving turkey dinners so I might just buy a turkey breast and celebrate at a distance with them in the next days.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone. I'll make a cup of coffee just so I can clink with you all! :-)

SharonCb

• maggie2094
    15 years ago

Stacy, Thank you...and to those that posted the hints!!! Huge help. So I guess starting at 10:00 am is out...wah! lol I have lots to do so rushing through.

Happy Birthday, Susie:) I know just what you mean.
    Annie, Hope Amanda feels better.
    Cooper, I had thought about Craig's list. I don't know why I didn't do it!

Stacy, I was so glad that the Bloody Mary shots with the shrimp garnish were a hit with Debbie. Enjoy! Sounds like a fun weekend.

Be good, all:)

• chase_gw
    15 years ago

Sounds like lots of lovely "Fall" weekends for everyone.

It's our Canadian Thanksgiving this weekend. I'm already at the cottage. Will be 8 of here, Doug, Sara and Jason, Chris, Amity, Meredith, Clive and I. Boats to pull out of the water, docks to pull in, brush to burn, food to cook , wine to drink, family to love and laugh with. Lots to be Thankful for.

Happy Birthday Suzie!

The weather is suppose to be spectacular all weekend, the leaves are just a tad past their peak but still gorgeous, so all and all it should be a great weekend.

• pat_t
    15 years ago

I'm clinking with my afternoon pick-me-up cuppa joe. I skipped pastry class today as my sister & hubby arrived right before I was to leave for school. I got a major haircut this morning early and I feel nekkid now.

The annual seafood festival is this weekend on the beach - we won't be going as it is $22 just to get in the gate and walk around!

The weather here in NW FL is absolutely gorgeous. If you have a chance, please do yourself a huge favor and come to the beach in Oct. No tourists and the snowbirds haven't arrived yet. It's peaceful and beautiful.

Happy Birthday Suzie! Hope it's the best one ever.

And Happy Thanksgiving to all our Canadian friends!

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    15 years ago

Well, I'm starting my last week of 3 alone while DH is back in the Netherlands on business. We moved back to the States 12 weeks ago. So I still have lots of unpacking/organizing to do and lots of work in my neglected garden. I'm finally recovering from almost 2 weeks of a bad cold/flu bug. I've been living on soups and omelettes.

The holiday weekend will bring lots of tourists to Cape Cod, so I'll have to keep a close eye on the dogs just like in the summer. Our local "clam shack" is open this one last weekend, so I'm going to treat myself to a final lobster roll. I went to the library and checked out some good mysteries, so I'm all set in case it's warm enough to sit on the beach.

TGIF everyone.

• wizardnm
    15 years ago

Happy TGIF to all!

And a special Happy Thanksgiving to all my Canadian friends. I will be thinking about all those wonderful aromas as your turkey's are roasting.

Sounds like everyone is getting into the swing of fall, it sure is nice that many of us are enjoying nice warm temps this weekend.

It's our annual Applefest here. Many of the local orchards bring truck loads of apples into town along with many goodies made from apples. There is also a big craft show, I hope to get a chance for a quick run thru.... I usually try to do a little Christmas shopping at it.
    The fall colors are beautiful this year, I hope to capture some with the camera.

Working some long hours this weekend...this is the last hurrah!

Nancy

• amck2
    15 years ago

Last week's tgif offered a welcome to newcomers, so I will join in. Found GW when we were building a lake house which will eventually be our retirement home. We used to joke that building it would forever delay actually retiring ...these days it's no joke.

With my kitchen completed I was eager to put it to use and found this forum. I can't believe how helpful, pleasant and fun people here are. I love cooking and baking, so I'll probably be around for a while.

We're here at the lake this weekend. It's in NH and the foliage is beautiful. The weather is supposed to be ideal. We have some outdoor chores to do, but I hope we can hike the mountain that's down our road tomorrow. It's an easy 2 mile hike up but the views are spectacular.

We're UNH Hockey season ticket holders, and tomorrow night is the season opener. We've had the same seats for 7 yrs and our section is like a little neighborhood. It will be nice to see folks again.

DD, SIL and my little step-grandaughter will be coming Sunday & staying over through dinner Monday. DD is expecting late March - our 1st grandchild. Stay-over company always means a brunch, which is one of my favorite meals to prepare (and eat!).

Wishing you all a beautiful fall weekend! Thanks for being so welcoming.

• Seasyde
    15 years ago

I will join amck in introducing myself here. Ive been lurking, on & off for a couple of years. We are in the process of building a house  the road is a lot longer and rockier than we expected (and weÂre not even in permitting yet!)

There are some amazing cooks here. I have a huge file of clipped receipes from CF. Thank you all for being so generous with your time & receipes. Hope I can reciprocate some time.

On the TGIF front: DH found a place that is recycling old electronics for free this weekend. Seeing as we have an old tv, microwave, computer, vcr & laser disc player this offer seems heaven sent. Its usually pretty expensive to get rid of this stuff IF you can find a place to take it. Cooking-wise I will be making a cauliflower pasta that we both love. I make it often in the winter & have missed it over the summer. I saw a mention of pizza and have now decided on that for Sunday dinner. Weather here is supposed to be crisp & clear so if that holds IÂll probably be out cleaning out the garden.

Clinking with a glass of rose. . .

Lorri

• compumom
    15 years ago

TGIF y'all! Welcome to the newbies and my old friends. Happy Thanksgiving to those up north!

Houseguests were last weekend and it was wonderful! They were fabulous and helpful guests, we had a blast! It was good to have the house full again!
    Tomorrow I've got a chiro session scheduled, a haircut and then the wedding of a co-worker. It should be a nice event.
    Sunday we're taking MIL out to brunch and then marketing. She's the one who lost her license in August and has gotten a learner's permit (at 90!) to try and retake the test after driving lessons. She's a sharp cookie, she might just be able to do it. If not, we'll have to consider the alternative sources of transportation. The taxi coupons are a joke, everything around here is a $25+ plus fare--one way!!
    Sunday later afternoon and eve we've got plans with friends and hopefully an activity. We'll see...
    Happy Birthday Susie!
    Nancy, I'd love to be in Traverse City this weekend for the festival! Have fun!
    Maggie- good luck on the sale!
    Stacy- thanks for reposting the garage sale info, that's good to know!
    Seagrass- welcome back!!!
    Crafty/Diane-- where have you been? Enjoying the summer? Glad to see you back here!
    Annie- enjoy the munchkins, how did the auction go? I hope Amanda feels better quickly!
    Sharon/chase...who's jason?
    Sharon/cb--enjoy your paradise!
    Theresa- photos please to share your beautiful work with us!
    Pat- enjoy your company!
    Lorri- cauliflower pasta? Recipe please!
    velodoug, duane, michael, and anyone else that I missed, take it easy and have a good one!

• jessyf
    15 years ago

Chiming in to welcome the delurkers!

Im SO not cooking this weekend my knees are shot from a marathon session in the kitchen on Wednesday, and then lots of time on my feet Thursday. Good thing I have leftovers and DH wants to make pizzas.

Saturday were putting up our sukkah or booth for the Festival of the Tabernacles, or Sukkot. Ill be cooking again for a ladies lunch on Thursday, looking forward to that. I think I have my menu.

Sunday DH and I are going to see a performance of the first chapter of Faulkners The Sound and the Fury. We get a kick out of preparing for that stuff, reading the text and analysis. Did anyone have to tackle that in high school? Sheesh, Beowulf was easier to read!

Im glad the stock markets are closed for the weekend. I hate turning on the news.

The Dodgers lost again. Oh well!

Clink to yall.

• girlsingardens
    15 years ago

Well it is Saturday and finally getting to post: My mom came up yesterday and we packed up all Peyton's clothes that are too small. Feeling sad, thinking of getting rid of the clothes. But with girls clothes 0-3 months up to 6 and boys clothes 0=3 months up to 3t waiting for Hayden to grow, we have a basement with tons of totes full of clothes. I have been washing and putting away the clothes for the new baby. Hard to believe after all this time I only have 4 weeks to go. I am getting excited about the baby coming but a little nervous about having another little one in the house.

Annie,

Is nice to help out your daughter and take the munchkins for the weekend. My mom took my 3 yesterday and they are heading to the pumpkin patch this weekend. I need to finish up on the clothes and get laundry down. We got a new recliner this week. My mil got it for us in advance for the new baby. Let's just say it is called the Man's chair and the name is the beast. DH sits back all the way ( he is 6'2" and his feet are 3 inches off the ground. I decided to try it out and slept in it last night, it is great.

Hope all have a safe and fun weekend. Will be cheering the huskers this afternoon, and going to town to the farmer's market this morning, and need to pick some apples, I have been craving apple crisp( that and chocolate).

Stacie

• chase_gw
    15 years ago

Welcome newbies!!!

Ellen Jason is Doug's son from his first marriage...he's just a bit younger than Meredith.

Gorgeous day here, sun's up , mist on the lake, beautiful blue sky and suppose to be about 20 C (68F). Perfect Fall day

• Seasyde
    15 years ago

Pasta con Cavolo (Caulliflower)

Our local food coop offers cooking classes. I got this receipe from one of their regular instructors, a lovely Italian woman who is an amazing cook. Ill take her classes just because she is teaching them. DH & I love this dish. I buy cauliflower every time it is on sale, and often when it is not. BTW the instructor said that by cutting the cauliflower small enough she has been able to get it past kids who would never knowingly eat it.

1 small head cauliflower
    1/3 C. olive oil
    1/2 C. packed Italian parsley leaves
    3 cloves garlic
    1/2 t. crushed red pepper (or to taste)
    1 t. salt
    1/3 C. grated Romano cheese (Parmesean also works well)
    1 # farfalle (pasta bows)

Quarter cauliflower & microwave approx. 4 minutes on high. Cool & chop. (This may be done ahead of time.) [Note: original instructions had cauliflower cooked in boililng water. Ive found the microwave is easier though]. Start cooking the pasta. While pasta is cooking finely chop parsley & garlic. Combine with red pepper. Heat olive oil in medium saucepan. Add parsley/garlic/pepper mixture & saute for 1 minute. Add chopped cauliflower & salt. Cook 5 minutes, covered, stirring occasionally. If needed, add a small amount of pasta water. Drain pasta. Put back into pot. Add cauliflower mixture. Cook together for 2-3 minutes. Stir in cheese,

Serves: 6

• compumom
    15 years ago

Yum! That definitely sounds like a dish we'd love!

• chancesmom
    15 years ago

Compumom - thanks for asking for that, I was thinking I was going to have to search!

Chase say hi to Meredith and Clive. We are having a nice relaxing long weekend here, but cold. Going to a fun farm tomorrow with Chance and a friend while Dave does turkey (be afraid, very afraid!!)

janet

• KatieC
    15 years ago

Happy weekend, all! Beautiful weekend here, too. It's been clean out the garden day. We had to wait until afternoon to dig carrots because the ground was a bit frozen. Got the garlic planted and came inside to have a hot cider and there's no power. So I'm using up the last of the charge in DH's laptop while the water heats on the cookstove.

Yesterday we made our last trip to the u-pick and picked two buckets of winter squash...mostly Carnival (acorn-type), some butternut and a big Golden Delicious (looks like a warty pumpkin).

Tomorrow it's supposed to be a little warmer. Hope to get the garden tilled and bake bread.

~clink~ing soon with a barnburner (cider and rum...mmmm)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus