SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Hmm, Can i use a sofa table with this?

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

Hi guys,
Looking at this style sofa today. Note the curve of the back. Would it look odd with a sofa table behind it?

thanks in advance

Comments (91)

• amykath
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I love the first sofa. It is gorgeous! I am having a hard time visualizing the table behind it because the legs of the table will be lost in space. Just a thought and not sure it would work, but you could put a couple of large baskets (or anything you like) under the table, on the floor to give the illusion that the legs are not as far from the sofa. Also, it would look nice to fill in that large gap.

I would definitely go back and set up a mock table behind the sofa to see what you think..

I hope it works as I adore that sofa!!

• edeevee
    10 years ago

I think you can get away with it as long as you stick with that layout. There appear to be few spots in the room where you would be looking at the sofa and table directly from the side -- that's where the gap will look weird. I love it and the fabrics are divine!

• Related Discussions

Hmm...Help w/ unique design issues restrictions - All Hardscape

Q

Comments (14)
    Nice to see someone resourceful and thrifty challenging themselves with such a fun project! Definitely for a small space it's a good idea to keep materials consistent to avoid a busy look and hence make it look smaller. THose smaller penny pavers (1'x1') are about a dollar each and with a maximum of 168 sq. ft. it only takes up half your budget if you covered the entire yard! With only two small areas to pave, you could build a simple 2 x 2 frame to hold the pavers inside at each location and another line leading to and from them. If HD doesn't deliver use that $40 to have someone delivery it for you. Cedar mulch is ok, cheap, lightweight and smells great! Use the natural colour or have fun with the colours (red, green, yellow, brown and even black). If cash is real tight I believe Japanese gardens often use pine needles for paths. You could collect that for free if there are pine trees in your neighbourhood. Another edging idea is using the cut ends of small logs. People are throwing out recently chopped trees and leaving cut up pieces on the curb. Bury a bunch of those leaving just a few inches and they would lend an Asian feel to it as well. Bigger pieces could be used to make coffee table legs if you throw an old door on top. You can make hanging tea lights with wire and jam jars. Use screws to fix your chairs instead of nails that is if you have a drill otherwise nails will do fine too. Have you thought about painting the chairs a bright colour if they're too far gone? How about hanging an old mirror on the fence for depth and interest? Maybe frame it with an old window? Anyway that's my 2 cents worth.
    ...See More

Can I live without a couch and instead use 2 loveseats?

Q

Comments (28)
    I know from experience that a love seat and two chairs will work fine. But I don't tend to sleep on the loveseat. I do a lot of reading there, sitting sideways with my feet up on the loveseat cushion. This works well for me. You need to think about how you use your furniture and what would work well for you. There are many variations in size for sofas and loveseats. I'm currently shopping for a new loveseat and I've found that some small couches are narrower than some wide loveseats. So a lot has to do with how the manufacturer is marketing the furniture. Get your measurements and forget the labels "sofa" and "loveseat." Go out there and find something that fits that works for your family. If there's enough seating in the room for the family on a daily basis, that's good enough in a small room. You can always bring in chairs from other rooms or even get some comfortable folding chairs to handle guests when you entertain. Furnish the room for how your family uses it the majority of the time, and be flexible with how you handle the overflow when you have guests.
    ...See More

Table behind the sofa / couch used to display plants

Q

Comments (14)
    Thanks!, yes right now they are just small plantlets, separated them and I am sure once they grow bigger and taller....the look the display will be ever changing. @razamatazzy...the sofa, we bought a few months ago at Macys for around $600, its the Chloe velvet tufted sofa. It feels lovely and doesnt stain easily. The reviews are really good, so far I have had no problems, though its only been a few months for me. Cooks.
    ...See More

Leave table here or use as a sofa table?

Q

Comments (102)
    If you're not happy with the lamp you can replace it, but from what I can see, it's blue and seems to coordinate with the rest of your room. I would just replace the shade unless, like I said, you don't care for the lamp.
    ...See More
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Edeevee,
    Good point. The sofa has to float because of the window heights, doorways, etc. Any other position feels like an obstacle when you walk in...

BP, does it dig into the sofa fabric? these corners are rounded because it is sort of beat up (supposedly 150 yrs old(

AT, I think the baskets are a great idea! Glad you like the sofa, I do too.

• roarah
    10 years ago

Oh I love the first sofa, not sure it will work with the table but even if you did not like the two together the curve of the sofa and its lines are interesting and pretty enough to float alone. I would forgo the lovely table to have the first sofa! The second choice is nice but very expected. Your first one is exceptional, like I know your home will be, in that it is somewhat classic( with its wingback shape) yet very unique with its bend.

• bpath
    10 years ago

The sofa is leather, the table ends curl up just a bit, it's MCM. The table sits between the sofa and the window, butts up to the wall. So when someone plops onto the sofa or leans their feet agains the ottoman, the sofa pushes back against the table. Looking right now I can see an indentation where the edge of the table hits, and dimples from the corners. They have not poked through yet in 10years. .

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The table is on its way on a pallet somewhere, so that's a done deal, but glad you like the sofa !

• MarinaGal
    10 years ago

I think the first sofa would be a wonderful focal piece and statement in the LR. It can be your muse, whereas the second sofa is really nice, but safe. I don't think the table works particularly well behind the first sofa. I would be bothered by the gap and the competing lines of the curved back of the sofa and the straight lines of the table. Is your room plan drawn to scale? It seems to me that with the combo of the first sofa and the table you would be taking up a lot of floor space to fit the table behind the sofa (b/c of the curve of the sofa back). Could that table go in front of the staircase?

I love the risks you are taking with this house - it is going to be wonderful!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

We try to eschew friendships with people under 5'8, unless they have overwhelming offsetting personal characteristics such as wit, charm or fame.

I'll keep that in mind...
    ;)

• User
    10 years ago

I like the first sofa, love the second, and you can have a handy person re-shape the back two corners of the table to fit better behind the first sofa if you want. It wouldn't fit anywhere else after you modified it, but if / when you sell the furniture will probably convey anyway. You can find a stain that closely matches your console table and the newly routed wood on those rear edges can be distressed easily with a hammer and bicycle chain.

Love all the fabrics, but I do have a question.... Why get a tight back sofa only to lavish pillows upon it? The first thing a person does when sitting down on a sofa with a bunch of "throw" pillows is to move them aside to sit down. Are you doing those flat type pillows for the fabric impact only?

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

You could hide the gap with something if it bothers you. Sit a statue or fat vase there.

I love the lines of the sofa!

• peony4
    10 years ago

Mtn, I think the first sofa is so much more appropriate for a batik than the second, which is suitable for a more conventional solid or conservative pattern. That first sofa is *made* for batik!

I'm not familiar with slip construction other than standard fitting, but perhaps the back of the slip could have a bit more drape... so that it sort of flows down from the top of the back of the sofa, perhaps lessening the gap between the sofa and table. Corner ties or buttons would still keep it from being sloppy.

Otherwise, I would risk the gap... in your layout, it won't be highlighted, and, again, I think the lines of the first sofa are so much more in line with the look you're seeking. Good luck!

• chispa
    10 years ago

This is such a non-issue! Search on house "table behind sofa" and you will see all shapes of sofas paired with all shapes of tables. I was looking for the gap in the photos and in real life when you walked into these rooms you would never notice this as an issue. Get the darn sofa ordered now so you have a chance to get in before summer is over!

• camlan
    10 years ago

So I just spent longer than I should have browsing sofa tables at Houzz. There are a lot of sofas with angled backs that have sofa tables pushed up against them. There's a gap at the bottom, but no one seems to mind. I only found one sofa with a curved back, but the sofa table seemed to work well with it.

Here's my take--I like the first sofa the best, which is surprising to me as I usually don't like that style of curved arm. But the way the back is curved to echo the front of the arm makes the sofa work for me in an interesting way. The batik seems made for it.

And I like the table. I think the sofa/table combination has a lot of contrasts going--the somewhat streamlined lines of the sofa, the ethnic feel of the batik and multiple patterns, the curves of the sofa and the straight lines of the table, the crisp lines of the sofa and the worn edges of the table. I see the contrast between the curve of the back and the straight legs of the table as fitting into the pattern of contrasts that have been created. I think the combination would fit in with an eclectic room.

I'd keep the table a couple of inches away from the back of the sofa, to make it less of a "sofa table" and more of "this is a table we placed here because it looks perfect here."

The second sofa is nice. I wouldn't mind having it in my living room. But the first sofa takes things up a notch.

• peony4
    10 years ago

Ha! You are so right, chispa! I just did a google image search for this... lots of gaps, everywhere.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

I probably missed something but is the sofa table behind the sofa really the only place to set down a drink? That seems awkward to me. And your "coffee table" is an ottoman so can't set a drink down there? (I know kids aren't allowed drinks, but how about guests?) I'm just wondering if a coffee table may not be a better idea. I'm worried about where I'll set down my white wine when I visit...I'm only 5'2" but I think I'd win you over with my wit and charm. I just know if I have to reach over the back of the sofa, I'm going to spill a bit. Especially when reaching over all those big pillows...

• User
    10 years ago

Depending upon the extent of overhang of the sofa back over the table top, it could cut the useful space of the table in half. That would be a concern to me. If the table is pulled so far out from the table that there's no overhang at all, then you have two freestanding pieces of furniture instead of a unit of sofa/ table.

Mtn, I had to laugh....I realized I have exactly the five tiered serving piece you pictured above! I bought it at a consignment shop for $90... when DH saw it he asked if somebody was getting married at our house, lol! I couldn't resist, it is perfect for a buffet because it gives height to the table, and here it is pictured with another serving dish that was, ahem, a bit more....the glass one looks like I am planning to open a patisserie. In the background, extra card tables for seating and serving....yes, "overkill" is my middle name.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I'm 5'4" and, at my age, probably shrinking. My legs are short. Although the first sofa is beautiful, all I can think about is how either my legs would dangle (and that isn't comfortable or particularly dignified looking) or I would need several pillows behind me so I could sit erect with my feet on the ground.

Anyway, however I'd sit (if indeed I were allowed into the house...kidding), and if I had a drink (okay, white wine) or something to nibble on, I would NEVER think to set it down *behind* me. Esp. with a drink it seems awkward and a recipe for disaster. I would need a coffee table in front of me, if there weren't end tables right beside me.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

A thought on red wine. If it is spilled spill white wine right on top. I have heard this will prevent staining and make the red spot disappear. Have never needed to try it despite many parties with both red and whites served. Maybe, I should try an experiment. :)

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Mtn'dux, happy to hear you're getting the table, now get the sofa already! If a sofa could talk, it would be staying, "you had me at hello". lol Are you losing sleep yet? ;)

• chispa
    10 years ago

Here is a photo I found. The sofa and table gap is such a non issues, really we see this all the time! First impression is "wow, great windows and light". After spending a few minutes looking at the room there are plenty of things I would change or add to the room, but the sofa and table work just fine. In real life, you would be sitting down and not even notice the table.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Houzz photo[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/staying-put-by-duo-dickinson-traditional-living-room-phvw-vp~503213)

• zen4d
    10 years ago

I prefer the first sofa - it will look lovely with the batik. I agree that the second sofa would be visually too busy if you were to add more pillows and patterns. As for the table with the first sofa, I don't see that as a problem.

Good luck!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Zen, thank you!

Chispa, that photo is perfect! How ever did you find it. Thanks so much for your input.

Patty, HaHa. I visited the sofa today, and I have decided it's a go. My salesperson is in tomorrow.

Cyn, That's funny!

Linelle, The sales person was probably about 5'2 or so, and she sat on it fine. But, unlike me, she would not be comfortable without the bolsters. Some of us have built-in bolsters...

Of course we could also have a sign in the driveway; "You must be THIS tall to sit in the Living Room"

When we entertain adults, it's usually in the DR, maybe with a bar or app.s set up somewhere. Or, especially in this case, the verandah or screened porch or even poolside. By contrast, my family has gotten used to putting their feet up just about everywhere, and so we really use ottomans. That takes priority. In a pinch, a solid tray on top of the ottoman can allow it to play like a coffee table when needed.

KSWL, The table is pretty narrow for starters so hopefully I don't have to mess with it. I saw your picture and had to laugh! Especially because --- your raised glass pastry display --- umm, I have one of those, too! Only mine is just one level.

Re "the first thing everyone does when ...". I think that would be true if I threw a bunch of pillows on the second sofa. But this sofa is so deep, you need and want the pillows. We have a very deep sofa here in our family room, and everybody uses the pillows.

SueB, Yes, you are right the only place for a sofa sitter to place their beverage would be the sofa table. See my response to Linelle, in re: Tray Trick. But, if the sofa table ends up being used the way I use a sofa table here, the table will be where i keep my book and a bottle of water (when it's not staged of course).

Camlan, I love your analysis of this! Thank goodness for GW, where we can all overthink this stuff together! I have to remember "pattern of contrasts".

Peony, The salesperson called it "mattress like" and I think that might be why it will work so much better with the Batik! Thanks. As for the slipcovering, that did occur to me as well; create an illusion of a straight back. Ties or buttons could be very cool and boho, too!

Lazy, I could see a big buddha there or a collection of ginger jars?

Annie, you are in. No worries. I thought you were taller. Must be more careful.
    : )

MarinaGal, Thank you for the compliment! As for the sofa table and sofa, yes, they are to scale. There is about 6' between the back of the table and the doors. The table is too long to go anywhere else, not to mention that I do want the function of it in that space, as well.

PS I will have an overhead light in the room. I was leaning toward something with capiz, but also influenced by the very airy modern brassy one in the Exemplar Room (scroll up). That would be too tall; ceilings are 8'9". I came across this chandelier used in front of a sofa, and I love the way it sort of visually disappears. The finish is a little imperfect, a tad distressed. I will make sure to pick up both metals elsewhere in the room. Don't say I didn't warn you; it's Hot-Mess-Eclectic.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another pic of the chandy, in much the same way we would use it, ie in the seating area (though not as a pair). It would be centered over the ottoman.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This was originally my lighting choice:

{{gwi:1572759}}

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 19:52

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Oooh, love the way this is shaping up!

Also, I love that mirror in the last pic. I have just the place for it!

• lazydaisynot
    10 years ago

It's such fun to watch your rooms take shape! I love the sofa and the table. My initial impulse was to suggest putting baskets or something in the gap, but Chispa's photo brought clarity. Let the angles show!

I don't know where you come up with the unique pieces you use or the vision to pull them together, but it sure is fun being a spectator.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Yeaaaaaaaa! Now see how easy that was~you just can't always listen to us, especially me. I tend to be very bossy. Haha

As for your first choice light fixture, excuse me, but for some reason I feel it won't bother you if I say it's gawd awful. ;)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Patty, I know I need to be thick skinned with these choices I am making.

Just so i am sure, which one do you think is "gawd awful"? The modernistic one or the capiz one?

And nope, I don't mind at all.

• crl_
    10 years ago

I'm not even sure how to describe it, but your inspiration room makes me think of this kind of chandelier. (Sort of a birdcage-Moroccan hybrid maybe?)

Here is a link that might be useful: Chandelier

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Crl, no, I can totally see that in the space. Love the shape. The only thing is, in the Exemplar, they took the opportunity to diverge from the style with the chandy. So I am contemplating that too.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

I want you to do a mock-up of the sofa with the arch back in situ. That would keep me awake at night until I saw it and "fixed" it or abandoned the idea. I think you have done a marvelous job and sofa is a major piece of your decor, so get it right. I'm pulling for you and otherwise, I would not have said so.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Love how it's coming together.
    Couple of things. If you're sitting there with a bottle of water and a book, chances are, if you're like me, you're also sprawled somewhat sideways with your feet up on the sofa and the convenient place to reach for water is on a table behind the sofa, not turning to reach in front of it.
    I've had a large upholstered ottoman in front of my sofa (back when I was in a house) for years. A tray works.
    If you spill red wine, immediately pour club soda on it. (not white wine, that seems like a recipe for one disaster on another). I know it works. I had a formal dining room with a tabriz rug - white ground - and creamy white full draperies. A bumbling guest (my former brother in law) launched a full glass of red wine, drenching the rug and flying 4 ft to include the drapery. Got out the club soda and started pouring, then started sopping it all up, and amazingly, no stains.The drapery fabric was a soft cotton sateen, bordered by a contrast band. If they'd been silk it would have been all over, but you're not putting silk in your living room. So have the glass of red on your cotton slipcover and don't sweat it.

I like the metal chandy better for your living room. I think the shell looks almost too delicate. I just took delivery on a similar, smaller

for our powder room, and IRL it doesn't have a lot of visual weight.

Did you ever find the source for the blue print fabrics in your inspiration pic? I think I missed it if you posted. Would love to know the source of the pillow fabric, looks as if it matches the wallpaper.
    And last, just FYI, the sofa in the inspiration pic is very similar to the one in the Tommy Bahama Royal Kahala collection by Lexington. I saw it in a store in New Smyrna Beach last year and fell in love with it. If I can handle that much visual weight in my living room it may be coming to live at my house. It too is deep. And I'm 5'9 ... so it's all good.

Here is a link that might be useful: Turtle_Bay_sofa

• Jules
    10 years ago

I adore that Turtle Bay sofa, mlweaving. I've been searching for the right piece to use on my veranda, and this may be it. Thanks for posting.

• Jules
    10 years ago

Here's a photo of another sofa in that collection, the Bay Club Sofa, shown with blue pillows. I prefer the caning and curved arms on the Turtle Bay, but this is a good visual of how it looks paired with blue.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mlweaving,
    I'm glad you like the metal chandy. I thought it was pretty out there, so it's nice to hear some seconds.
    Funny, I was just reading about stain removal and I read that club soda is "no better and no worse" then plain water!?
    As for the sofa, my room has something the exemplar does not --- miles of dark wood panelling. For that reason I was specifically not looking for anything in the rattan/cane/wood family. In addition, the screened porch adjoining has a rattan sofa, and the front porch does, too. I felt the LR should be different.

Patricia, between the perfect photo Chispa found for me, and my own due diligence I did on site yesterday at the store, I am over the question of sofa/sofa table harmony. But thanks!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh I forgot to say, the fabrics I am using are from Quadrille. I may use some Robshaw too.

My quest was for the W/T fabric. The photo is from a 2009 Verandah mag, which I bought. But it only says Ralph Lauren, and I think it is a pinstripe but I'm not sure.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Mtn, that is so funny (tier tray)! Around here a few short years ago one could get some real nice things on CL. Now there are many 2nd hand / consignment shops that one is in competition for snagging the good stuff for a deal. I am both a CL troll and used furniture/consignment shopper so I often see things that were on CL marked up several times their original price. I have also seen some things from thrifts end up in higher-end consignments at astronomical prices.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Thanks for the fabric info mtn. I knew you didn't want the wood framed sofa, I was just answering the "besides, where would I find it comment"....and I love the sofa. I get why you wouldn't want it in your room with all your wood paneling.
    Not to hijack, but Jujubean, the one I actually saw in the store in FL is this one
    {{gwi:1572761}}, when we didn't even know we'd be building. I took the pic so I'd remember what it looked like. Found out a year later it was discontinued, so I'm glad to see this one, which obviously took it's place in the collection. I like the one I saw better for several reasons, including the single cushion, but oh well.

Re the chandy, it looks to me slightly Moroccan with the motifs in the ring. Goes well with the ikat and wallpaper.

• User
    10 years ago

I really like the brass light and think it will be better than the capiz shell one, which looks slightly messy to me. Love the contemporary vibe you are creating!

• chispa
    10 years ago

Mtn, glad the photo helped. I just took a few extra minutes to keep scrolling on houzz to find the best example ... I just wanted to show that it really was a non-issue.

One thing that did bother me was that in many cases the sofa table seemed to be jammed up against the sofa. I think it needs 1-3" of breathing room, depending on size/shape of the sofa and table ... they need to be connected but not conjoined!

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

Haven't had a chance to read through all 80+ posts and this may go against all "decorating rules" but if the table you ordered just doesn't work behind the sofa, would an option be to use it behind the two chairs?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Arapaho, that's a kind of cool idea. I don't know if Ive seen that. I will give it some thought!

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

Here's a photo from Phoebe Howard that shows a console table flanked by two chairs - could the chairs be placed in front of the table, angled or not, replacing the ginger jars with a lamp centered on the table?

• kitschykitch
    10 years ago

A sofa table is just a console, after all. It can go anywhere.

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

Another photo from House Envy:

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The photos you have chosen are so beautiful I am totally distracted! I also love the lil' stools, that could come in handy. Not to mention they would be fun to select fabric for!

I am fine with the table behind the sofa, but i now feel I have two choices!

thanks

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

Your table can accommodate those stools and they could be used as ottomans for the chairs or just extra seating which is typical. Another opportunity to play with fabric. Btw, love the chandelier you've chosen.

• kitschykitch
    10 years ago

I would flip the sofa and the chairs to show off the great Asian piece. I love the writing characters on it.

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

Funny you should mention that kitschy, I was going to ask mtn if her positioning of sofa was for the view out the front windows?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Arapaho,
    Thank you! I am pleased and a little surprised that people like the chandy, which I view as unconventional for the room.

A, and K
    If I switched spots, then, upon entering the front door, one would be faced with the back of the sofa. I always feel that closes off a room.