SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alex102938

Powder room by the kitchen

Little Bird
5 months ago

Hello, friends! While I wait for my antique secretary desk to be delivered today, I thought I’d tackle the powder room by the kitchen.
It’s just not really my taste (don’t like the pea green wallpaper), but everything works. So the first thing to figure out is whether I simply need to accessorize better, or if I should make bigger changes with paint, wallpaper lighting, mirror and faucet.
It is the only room in the house that has these colors. The trim elsewhere is white, except in the mudroom across from this powder room it’s gray. At first, I recoiled at the crazy color toilet, but maybe it’s better to have it blend in with the floor and counter, rather than be bright white and stick out?
I know you guys will have good ideas to try. I appreciate your help!

Comments (254)

• KW PNW Z8
    28 days ago

OMG - I love #7! It’s like a reverse image of the vanity! Can you get a sample of it? I can really envision it with the mural. Show it to your husband & the artist! I’m excited, can you tell? 😆 Thanks @Flo Mangan !

tagging @Little Bird - wow! I just tagged you! You should receive an email notice if you set that up in your profile. I just tried RedRyder & can’t & I’m sure I have before. I still cannot tag Jilly & I could before. She used to be Jinx - she changed her screen name but not her icon picture. To tag key in @ sign & start keying in screen name with no spaces even if name has spaces in it. A list should pop up & keeps changing as you key more letters or characters - no spaces but use the upper / lower case as screen name has. Sometimes, the name you’re trying to tag shows up in list - select it & it should show as green in your post before you submit it - like an active Link does when you include a link in your post. But, it’s very quirky & not very successful even when using Houzz app especially on a phone. I’m on iPad & not using app.

• KW PNW Z8
    28 days ago
    last modified: 28 days ago

@Little Bird Thanks for showing the mural plan again. That is going to be so very cool. Love the little sea creatures - ask for weedy sea dragons - they really look like sea horses. I created them with layered, laser cut stencils when doing a bathroom for my 3 nephews many moons ago. They loved them. Now, one of those nephews has his undergrad degree & is in first year dental school, the two twin youngers are in 2nd year college - they all still talk about their bathroom I did for them with all the sea creatures floating around! 💜

• Related Discussions

is it odd or 'wrong' to have a powder room in the kitchen

Q

Comments (22)
    I have an 1820-30 one-bedroom, 1.5 bath cottage, one room wide, three rooms deep -- with no hallway -- on the ground floor. the layout is, moving from the street: first room is the living room, second room is the dining room, and third room is the kitchen. The stairs leading to the second level (formerly attic space, now the bedroom and a full bath) are located in the kitchen, and yes, I have a teeny tiny powder room (my architect calls it a 1/4 bath) under the stairs: so, in the kitchen. The house is small (1050 square feet), so I was grateful just to have a powder room downstairs at all. I never thought about this question of it being in the kitchen before today! I have a full bath upstairs, and so I just tell my guests where each bath is, and they go to whichever one they want or whichever is available. One good tip another response mentioned: there is a very loud exhaust fan in that powder room. It was there when I bought the house, and I am glad to have it. Definitely a good idea. :-)
    ...See More

Remodeled Powder Room with Kitchen Leftovers

Q

Comments (19)
    Semi- We also paid for the slabs directly...same as kaysd. dedtired- Unless you can think of a way to use the travertine, I think Craig's list is a great idea. I never have bought or sold anything on Craig's list, but so many others use it....another great idea! kaysd- The reason our counters curve around is because that area use to be a bumped-out breakfast nook. The peninsula use to come straight out like they usually do, only it came out right into where the refridgerator is. We couldn't even open our fridge door all the way. So this was a way to enlarge the floor space of the kitchen. Our peninsula is 8 ft. long by 3 ft wide. I didn't think it was going to be very large, but it seems massive to me. KA:)
    ...See More

Arlosmom -- ?s about your powder room/corner kitchen cabinet

Q

Comments (4)
    We have something similar to this in our house too, although it uses a blind corner created by a a bedroom closet instead of a kitchen corner. (The closet runs 2/3 of the wall, and then the last 1/3, rather than being a nook in the bedroom, is used by a built-in linen closet in our hallway so that we have full-depth drawers that are flush with the wall.) Ours was designed into our house when it was built (1915 so the cabinets are ancient) but is basically just a cabinet frame set into the wall and framed in with moulding, so I imagine it would be pretty easy to do something with a cabinet box. (I'm also embarrassed to admit that I lived in our house for maybe a year before I realized that's what was going on there, too!) I think it's a super ingenious way to use corner space! (Really wanted to do this in our dining room with our new kitchen blind corner, but got vetoed since we'd have to cut into the wainscoting. Ah, well.)
    ...See More

Powder room and Kitchen

Q

Comments (8)
    I think it's unnecessary. A certain tv show seems to always make buyers note when the counters and cabs match which I think is all for show. I think I'd notice matching countertops /counters if the house were empty. Full of furniture, I don't think I would. I'd rather search out remnants for the (smaller) bathroom vanities, and I'd prioritize economy over matching items in different rooms.
    ...See More
  • Little Bird
    Original Author
    28 days ago

KW❤️❤️❤️ those weedy sea dragons are exactly the type of “magical” sea creature that should live in my bathroom! I can’t believe they’re real - I’ve never heard of them before. They look amazing! I would love to see the bathroom you did with the stencils…

• dsimber
    28 days ago
    last modified: 28 days ago

@RedRyder

Wondering if I have the right RedRyder? (I happened to receive notification today. Fun to catch up!)

• Little Bird
    Original Author
    28 days ago

Thanks, dsimber!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    28 days ago

I wouldn’t worry about mixing the two materials at all. It’s the overall look that counts. Just need subfloor really smooth for best install.

• KW PNW Z8
    28 days ago

@dsimber I’m sure that’s the right RR. See, I can tag you! I’ve seen you on Lola’s post I think.

@Little Bird - yes - the weedy sea dragons exist & were just in news recently. I think they’ve been brought back from the brink. Sadly, all pics of my wall work for my nephs is gone since my brother sold that house & I downsized harshly when we moved to this house from our much larger home in Seattle. I don’t have any of my stencil material anymore. I had lots of fun with it during the years I was doing it for myself and others.

• dsimber
    28 days ago

@KWPNWZ8 @KW PNW Z8 ...but I can't tag you!

Lola is at least one of our connections. I'm guessing you, like so many of us, were first drawn to her art. I had to tag her on Little Bird's other thread early on. LB, what is your other thread called? I'm not getting notifications. Love looking at your art and the creativity in all that you do! ❤️

• Little Bird
    Original Author
    28 days ago

Hi dsimber, the art thread was “How to display Korean hanbok”.

• jayapple21
    28 days ago

Since the mural is the jewel in the room would you consider having the artist complete the mural first before making a decision on the flooring? The new toilet fixture will be an easy choice and you'll want the lighting to work well with the mural so maybe reversing the steps to completion would help with your final decisions.

• dsimber
    28 days ago
    last modified: 27 days ago

Thank you, Little Bird. (I have my own little bird nesting in my front door wreath!)

• KW PNW Z8
    28 days ago

@jayapple21 makes a good point @Little Bird. I’d pondered that myself. I was thinking the floor demo might be the messiest & wondered about having that done & any subfloor repairs needed then have the walls done start to finish before putting new floor in. Might be lots easier to work on walls without the toilet in the room.. Getting the skillset in there to do the floor doesn’t have to be the same person as the one who does the demo. Not sure what kind of demo & repair the walls will need either. Is that plaster under the current paper? Is the wall trim coming off & mural covering entire wall?

• pat1250
    28 days ago

Following

• Little Bird
    Original Author
    28 days ago

It’s tempting to put off deciding on the floor until the mural painting is done, but the artist wants it installed first so he can make sure his colors don’t clash with it. I was too lazy to go look for more floor tiles today, but I’m going to try to find some that are less busy, and about the same lightness/darkness (there’s probably a technical term) as the quartzite counter. So neither one will stand out; it will be the mural that is “different” in the room. Thank you all so much for your help this far. Everyone is so kind, and I really appreciate you guys!

• KW PNW Z8
    28 days ago

Well, your artist makes a good point as well! So many ideas & so many of them good ones!

• RedRyder
    28 days ago

Hi, @Little Bird - I read the thread. Cannot believe we are both doing small bathrooms at the same time AND I considered a b&w mural… 😂. I’m using a different wallpaper over wainscoting instead.

I love, love how the walls will be unique (so much like you!) and I think the floor has to be “quiet. Plain, even. I’m probably the only one who votes for the plain dark gray floor because everything above it demands the attention. The other tiles are hard to assess in the photos so if you can send us to the manufacturer’s online photos, that might help (or a Pinterest one?). And yes, if there is any pink undertones, that’s not good. (Full Disclosure: I chose a plain hexagon blue tile for my teeny powder room, so I’m liking plainer floors in these small spaces….)

I like toilet #2 better, whichever brand it is. Nicer shape. Don’t worry that the toilet will be white - they all are and no one pays attention to them. If someone does, they’re a designer or plumber….

Re: Tagging People - I have read that using @ with someone’s Houzz name will work on SOME devices. But not on iPads! If you’re using the @ with the first few letters of someone’s Houzz Name, it may drop down from a list on a desktop (as mine does) but never on an iPad or iPhone. So their name doesn’t get “highlighted” in blue.

BUT - when you open Notifications, you will see the threads of the people you follow. If I follow @Flo Mangan (which I do), my Notifications will always have threads she comments on. But if I write her name on my iPad, as I just did, it doesn’t highlight.

• RedRyder
    28 days ago

Question - Is tile #7 too big to use in your bathroom, or can you accommodate the large sizes?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    28 days ago

Hi! RR. Good to see you here. Little Bird, my only caution on the mural is keep the sea horses cute not too scary. I am a fan of anything associated with water! A Pisces ya know.

• Little Bird
    Original Author
    27 days ago

Hi RedRyder! I would love to see how your bathroom is coming along. KW originally voted for the very dark floor tile too. Tile #7 is the same as the very dark one; 12x24. I think that’s the direction I’m thinking now…plainer floor tile. Maybe in herringbone or another fun shape? But minimal color variation and matching grout.
    Flo, I agree with cute rather than scary animals. Especially for a guest bathroom! Even for my taxidermy bug collection, I tend to lean cute rather than macabre. Here’s one I just got for the master sitting room. It has such beautiful colors, it almost looks painted! But just like KW’s weedy sea dragons, these magical looking blue lanternflies are real!

• KW PNW Z8
    27 days ago
    last modified: 27 days ago

Hello RR - you & I are on the same page with many of our suggestions / opinions - a great confidence boost for me. That deal with tagging issues is newer as I used to be able to tag most everyone all the time on my iPad. I’ve had issues with tagging on my desktop too. Using my iPhone is not something I do so don’t know about that.

Hi Flo - I agree with your keep em cute caution - that’s why I suggested the weedy sea dragons. I think LB’s fantasy creatures are mostly pretty cute so I bet that’s what she has in mind. I’m thinking of the creatures living on the mantel in her library.

• KW PNW Z8
    27 days ago

@Little Bird - just saw your post & the lanternfly - on the desk in sitting room. That really goes with the art in your entry I think… so pretty. Haven’t forgotten about sitting room - I’ve been thinking about it. 😊The desk you found is very pretty & really nice in that space. The wood pattern is lovely. I wondered about the material on the desk bench - is it leather or fabric? Wondered about recovering with something with gold - for the ceiling light you’re putting in room - & cream - for the day bed frame. Then I wondered about changing duvet / comforter to a floral print with desk color tones in it & a lighter background. Maybe use same fabric for desk bench. A small floral print might be nice with the drapes & the ceiling patterns - & floral would have green too. Are you willing to paint the bed frame & round side table? Wondered about gold for side table. The light you’re hanging has elegance & will be great with the desk - doesn’t seem like it should be too large but then I don’t know dimensions either. The important thing is you said you love looking up at it & this room seems to be your private getaway space so decorating it is all about you! It doesn’t have to ’flow’ colorwise with the rest of the house.

• Little Bird
    Original Author
    27 days ago

KW, Yes! Like those magical creatures in the library. That’s the feeling I’m going for. I’m really asking a lot of the artist. I want a hazy traditional landscape, yet magical, and with imaginary creatures living in it. But he says he totally gets it, and I’m really interested to see what he comes up with!

• KW PNW Z8
    27 days ago

LB - That’s why he’s a great artist! He has ’vision’. Has he seen your daughters art - or does he know some of your great art is their work? Bet he knows he has competition! 😁 Would you share a bit about his process? I wondered if he makes any small mockup drawings or if he has carte blanche but consults with you as it progresses? Since he has done work for you before with such perfect result, I’m betting it’s the latter - unless he makes you promise not to peek until a great reveal when he’s done!

• Little Bird
    Original Author
    27 days ago

KW, it is really remarkable, in that there is no formal “process”, or at least not a visible one. I’m sure inside his brain, wild things are happening. I show him a bunch of photos that are seemingly unrelated, and tell him all my disjointed ideas. He comes with his paints and works directly on the wall, and only needs about day to work it out. I comment, and he finishes up the next day. It really is such a special ability he has!

• KW PNW Z8
    27 days ago

LB - 2 days?? I imagined days - especially for your DR ceiling. That made my neck hurt thinking about it.

• RedRyder
    27 days ago

I am in awe of people like your artist. If you trust him, I’m sure it will be what you want.

As for my powder room: I have all the elements chosen, many are sitting in my living room awaiting the start of the project. I just chose my contractor, who happens to live down the road (!) and also gave me the best quote for the labor. I use Houzz for contractor recommendations and did so for my deck project as well. Every referral was a pro, so anyone reading this, keep Houzz in mind if you need contractors.

My powder room is 3 feet wide, 9 feet long with 10 foot ceilings. Yup, I call it The Coffin! I will be doing wainscoting with wallpaper on the walls and ceiling, wall hung sink, new sconces and mirror, faucet/toilet paper holder/towel hook all in aged brass. Here are before photos. Going into the bathroom, you have to squeeze around it to get inside! I think the smaller sink will help.
    I may be on here for help with the mirror choice since it will be a tight squeeze when I go from a singe loverhad light to the side sconces. My tile is solid dark blue and I will find blue grout.
    I don’t have a start date yet.

• Little Bird
    Original Author
    27 days ago

RedRyder, I think your bathroom will look fantastic with wainscoting and wallpaper. Too bad you have to get a smaller sink - I like the pedestal sink that’s there. I think I’ll go with brass/gold fixtures in my bathroom too. Maybe something like this if I get toilet #2. Please do post your progress!

• Little Bird
    Original Author
    27 days ago

KW, I just saw your suggestions about the master sitting room. The desk bench is fabric, and I already sent it out to get re-upholstered in a greenish bluish color, like the drapes (hopefully).
    I’m open to painting the bed and side table, which I had painted grey in my previous grey stage, but I can definitely try another color for this room.
    I found this colorful painting that pulls together some of the bluish greenish color with the orangey of the desk. I think the lady in the painting looks like me, wearing a hat to protect my face from the sun while drinking a cup of tea. I also got this giant atlas moth. I don’t really have a cohesive plan for the art in this room, but I like really looking at these two pieces.

• KW PNW Z8
    26 days ago

LB - the art is lovely! It’s such a happy & peaceful scene. Perfect for the sitting room. The colors are wonderful & it really will look great with the desk. The frame molding is really pretty - almost dainty with its detail & it looks gold tone so will be great with light you’re hanging in room. It’s quite large too - where are you thinking of hanging - maybe on the wall at head of daybed? The moth is amazing - truly miraculous the beauty that exists in nature. Tea - I’m sitting here with my evening bergomot with honey. So calming…

• Little Bird
    Original Author
    26 days ago

I love bergamot and honey too! I wish I could have you over for tea!

• dsimber
    26 days ago
    last modified: 26 days ago

Little Bird, I've been re-reading your other threads ("Bench or cabinet in entry?" and "How to display Korean hanbok.") I'm again enjoying your creative choices. I read that you are in the Midwest. May I ask where?

• Little Bird
    Original Author
    26 days ago

I’m in Minnesota. If you’re nearby, you should come over for tea too!

• dsimber
    26 days ago

Tea and a tour, please, Little Bird. I'm in Iowa City. Years ago, I spent a lot of time near Alexandria where my sister lived. Oh, the lakes and trees. And who doesn't love Minneapolis!

• KW PNW Z8
    26 days ago

My older sister & husband lived in Eden Prairie & Burnsville many moons ago. My husband & I were in Omaha with USAF & we visited - in summer - I do remember the extraordinarily large mosquitos 😱

• Little Bird
    Original Author
    9 days ago

How do you know when you’re finally gone overboard with the orchids? When you can no longer see your dining room? Or not until they start falling off the edge of the counter?

• KW PNW Z8
    9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

Ahh - but I see succulents mixed in there so it’s not a total orchid obsession! Also I notice that your orchids are exclusively in shades of pink… so a pink orchid love?

• Little Bird
    Original Author
    9 days ago

I used to have many colors orchids, but they succumbed to mealybug when I brought home a few from a fancy florist. That’s when I switched over to succulents, but I can’t resist when I see orchids at Trader Joe, and these have been healthy over the past year. No more fancy florists for me!

• Little Bird
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Two fun unique flowers!

• glschisler
    5 days ago

Beautiful plant collection!🥰

• dsimber
    5 days ago

Hi Little Bird. Please pardon the interruption. I think you added an antique secretary behind the chairs in your living room. Or is it that Flo did a mockup of one you found, but you decided against it? If you bought it, would you please share a photo of it in the room? 🙏🥰

• dani_m08
    5 days ago

RedRyder -

I was wondering if I was the only one having tagging issues on my iPad/iPhone.

I hate all the changes that Houzz keeps making that causes using an iPad so difficult! No auto capitalization after a period. No auto period after spacing twice. No auto apostrophe when it should be added. All of the foregoing used to work when I first joined Houzz three years ago.

And now tagging people - that’s been fairly recent. Very annoying. It sed to beeasy to tag people. In fact, if you just started to type a user name, it automatically pulled up users in the thread first before you even fully typed out the entire name) - but that stopped awhile ago. Then I wasn’t able to pull up any user name that had more than one word.

I then discovered that if I held curser down on someone’s user name at the beginning of their comment + clicked ”copy” - I could paste that when I started my comment, and it would provide the correct name to type in order to have that user show as an option on my screen -

For example, if you do that to Little Bird - this is what you see when you paste it: https://www.houzz.com/user/alex102938

If I typed ”@alex102938” - Little Bird’s correct tag is shown. HOWEVER, within the last couple weeks, that has stopped working. It still pulls up Little Bird’s correct tag - but when I click on it, it fails to actually tag her:

@Little Bird- no longer green on my screen - and doesn’t actually tag person.

SO FRUSTRATING!!

Okay - so for my rant!

Little Bird - your orchids are beautiful! I’ve had a few for about three years - and suddenly they have spider mites. Not happy. I think they were on some fresh cut flowers that I purchased. They have also traveled to a few of my succulents. 😢 I’ve never had any pests before.

Your powder room is going to look beautiful! Very interested in seeing the room when finished!!

• RedRyder
    5 days ago

@dani_m08 The tagging doesn’t work properly on my iPad. When I start a person’s name with @, it doesn’t highlight in green. HOWEVER, ironically, Little Bird’s name was in green on my screen in your last comment to her, but it doesn’t do anything.

My iPad does start a new sentence with a capital letter.

I think some of the upgrades may be incompatible with Apple Products. My desktop Houzz software does all the things you’re not seeing. Names start popping up when half typed, etc. Not true with my iPad, which is what I use 90% of the time.

• Little Bird
    Original Author
    4 days ago

Dani_m08, I’ve never been able to tag at all on my iPhone. But I do have a solution for your spider mites! I had some hitchhike in on new plants, and infected all of my orchids and succulents. If you catch it early enough, you can save your plants. First, any spider mites or fluffy white stuff you can see - spray with 70% isopropyl alcohol and use a cotton swab to remove from the plant. Then sprinkle all of your pots with Bonide Systemic House Plant Insect Control and water in. This completely got rid of all my insect problems. I repeat every month or two as a preventive.

• Little Bird
    Original Author
    4 days ago

Dsimber, you’re not interrupting - I’m the one who can never focus on the task at hand 🤣. The toilet, tiles and faucet have been ordered for the powder room, but who knows when the contractor will actually get started on that. So we might as well chat about unrelated items!

I do have an antique secretary in the living room. Or did you mean the secretary in the sitting room by the master bedroom? I thought that was also an antique when I saw it, but it turns out that it’s just used furniture. My local antique and junk stores gave a lot of fun stuff!

• KW PNW Z8
    4 days ago

@Little Bird Wow - I don’t think I’ve seen that updated pic of your LR antique desk with the deer & pinned insect display. So pretty & really interesting! I do remember the reclining deer - it really looks nice in that spot.

• dsimber
    4 days ago

Thank you, Little Bird! Beautiful pieces! These just might inspire me to find the antique and used shops in the Iowa City area. I've only been here for two years. Lol.

• dani_m08
    4 days ago
    last modified: 4 days ago

Little Bird - THANK YOU! I’ve been so upset - and have been acting like a freak about these things (I am constantly checking my orchids + succulents - and I have a lot of succulents!) I use my camera on my iPhone and 10x magnification every time I see a tiny speck on something!

I have been using the isopropyl alcohol + using cotton swabs to remove them. Some of them are so tiny! I’ve also been hosing them off in the utility sink - and then spraying the alcohol everywhere on the sink + counter in case any of them didn’t go down the drain!

I started looking at preventative measures - but wasn’t sure which one to purchase. I’m heading to Amazon now!

Also, you have a beautiful home!

RedRyder - I have a MacBook Air at home (desktop at my office - but I’ve been home mostly due to health stuff - if I was at the office, I wouldn’t have time for Houzz during the day).

Last time I used my Macbook Air for Houzz, it also had some problems - it’s also difficult to get used to NOT having a touchscreen when using it for “fun” because I’ve always preferred to use my iPad. Maybe I will try it again.

Or maybe I need to tell my lawfirm that I need a desktop at home. . . 😉

• Little Bird
    Original Author
    4 days ago

Thanks, KW. I have even more of those insects (we have a really good taxidermy shop nearby), but it’s a lot of trouble to rearrange them to fit in new ones, so I haven’t added them in yet. It’s like with the orchids - how much is too much? I do tend to go all the way to the edge

• KW PNW Z8
    4 days ago

@Little Bird Your comment ”I do tend to go all the way to the edge” made me laugh. My family claims that I tend towards ’obsession’ with some of my interests. I claim those interests are ’passions’ and which feeling every person should have about one or two of their interests!

• happyleg
    8 minutes ago

Love love IT!