SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
schorschi_gw

To Miele or not to Miele?

Schorschi
12 years ago

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum. I'm a German ex-pat of 10 years living in Florida.

Recently our GE washer broke. Made a loud thump in the middle of a wash, ever since then the drum seems to sit a couple of inches lower. Don't think it is worth fixing as it cost only $300-$400 eight years ago or so.

So, we'd like to get a Miele washer. Have an eye on the W4842 with the five year extended warranty and perhaps the RemoteVision module. All in all (and incl. tax) it would cost about US$2500 from a local dealer. Ouch!

So, today my wife and I went to Sears and looked at a Kenmore model for around $1100. I didn't count the programs it offers, but appears to have comparable features to the Miele. Sanitize cycle, 1200 rpm spin. They offer a five year warranty for $410. After tax that would amount to a little over $1600.

So, I'm asking myself, if I buy a washer with a five-year warranty, does it matter which brand I'm getting?

Looking beyond the five years it might be different, as one would expect the Miele to outlast most everything else.

So, besides that what warrants the expense of an almost additional $1000 for a Miele over a Kenmore?

Do they produce that much different results?

Other than that, I'm not impressed by the W4842's non-metal door and locking mechanism. We used to have a Miele FL when we lived in Germany, which, if I recall correctly, had an all-metal locking mechanism. Why doesn't the W4842 have that? Does the W3033 have a metal door/locking mechanism?

Other than size what exactly is the difference between the W3033 and the W4842?

Georg

Clearwater, Florida

Comments (14)