SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathy_94952

Thank you and what I've learned (so far) - Pics

Kathy F
12 years ago

First, a VERY BIG thank you to all of you who answered my many questions this past week, especially Dave who was incredibly patient and responsive. Dave, I almost felt like you were here with me, coaching and rooting me on. Thanks also to the collective questions and answers that went before. I have spent hours reading and have found immeasurable help.

Anyway... this past week I dove in and spent 3.5 days with 45-50 pounds of tomatoes and tackled several different projects with a BWB.

Here's what I ended up with:

9 pts crushed tomatoes

10.5 pts Italian Style tomato sauce

6 pts Chunky Basil Pasta sauce

2 qts and 7 pts plain tomato sauce

2.5 pts tomato paste (in the freezer due to question about canning safety)

Seriously, I could not have gotten so much successfully canned or maintained my sanity without the help here. I can't thank you enough.

Here's some of what I learned, in no particular order:

- Canning tomatoes always take WAY longer than I think it's going to... by a factor of two or more.

- I'm not sure how worth it it is to me to can some tomato products. It's a whole lot of work for relatively small output. It's very satisfying when it's over, but I may stick to plain sauce and try paste in a crockpot or the oven for freezing in the future.

- Times listed in recipes for boiling things down are for really thin results. Go longer for thicker, and as long as I don't push it too far, it's still safe.

- Using all plum/Roma tomatoes doesn't work for raw pack tomatoes; there just isn't enough juice.

- Don't use all (or even mostly) plum/Roma tomatoes for most projects. You don't have to cook them down as long, but the flavor is not as good.

- I by far prefer doing recipes that allow the food mill vs. peeling.

- Canning tomatoes is MESSY. Have a LARGE stack of clean dish towels standing by on which I don't care about stains. Wear old clothes and an apron. Lay an old towel on the floor under the food mill and between my prep area and cooktop to keep the floor clean.

- I love my new stainless steel pot with the volume marks on the inside. It made it super easy to keep track of how much things reduced.

- Read, re-read, and re-re-read a recipe, advice, etc. before starting a recipe.

- Wash the jars after they cool. Don't store the jars with the bands/rings on. (I had no idea about this one till I read it here!)

- I can't/don't want to grow enough tomatoes for many products. It takes A LOT of plants to get enough fruit ripe at the same time.

- I LOVE my new Wolfe cooktop with 5 burners and dials that light up to show which burners are lit. I had all 5 burners occupied numerous times and everything fit, even with 3 large pots at the same time.

Once again - thanks for all the help!

Kathy

Comments (12)