SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sahoyaref

What I've learned about terrariums

sahoyaref
19 years ago

This is kind of in answer to Laura's post on MrB's thread 'Brainstorming a Giant Orchidarium'. I thought it might be better to have a separate thread. And, of course, everyone should tell what they've learned! Some of the main things for me:

1) Don't use a misting system, unless you can figure out a way of using the water in your false bottom (which ordinarily would be a bad idea, because you would quickly clog your misting heads) instead of an outside resovoir of clean RO water. I have had endless trouble with mine. I'm quite frustrated with it. I mean, it's supposed to be a time saver for me, so that I don't have to mist daily by hand. But not only have I had to change the position of the misting heads endlessly, but the stupid heads themselves spray in more of a 230 degree pattern than a 180 degree pattern (like they are supposed to). As a result, I am misting the walls of my tank, which is pointless. Plus, I need to empty the excess water the builds up on a weekly basis. For me, I can simply place a bowl under my waterfall and let it flow into the bowl until the excess is gone (about three bowlfulls), but that's still a hassle. So next time I'd just hang a hydrofogger in there, like Homer does. He's never reported any problems with his!

2) Get slow-growing plants! It might be annoying at first, as it takes everything forever to fill in and get that 'settled' look, but it will save you tons of maintenence and transplanting later. I have completely removed all of the invasive plants from my terrarium. They were really starting to bug me! Selaginella is the only fast-growing plant that is acceptable, because it stays low to the ground and looks like moss, a desirable trait, in my opinion. I have found the following to be annoying fast-growers: wandering jew, fittonia (nerve plant/snakeskin plant/mosaic plant), all ferns that are not specifically bred to stay very small, and that's all so far. I'm sure others would add Ficus pumila to my list (I don't have experience with it, so I can't comment). I do currently have a pilea (aluminium plant) in my tank, but it's new, so I don't know if it's invasive. I suspect it will be, but I just LOVE it, so I think I'll put up with the trimming chore for him. =) Good plants that are not invasive include: tillandsias, paph orchids (get large in time, but never too large), rabbit's foot fern (Humata termanii or something like that), parlour palm/neanthe bella/chamadorea elegans (slow-growing IME, but will eventually outgrow all but the largest tanks), Lockhartia osterdii (orchid), Cirrhopetalum pulchellum (orchid, and probably most other Cirrho's as well), Anubias barterii nana (for a waterfeature), and so far, Butterwort (Pinguicula).

3) Be careful of what plants you put next to your waterfall! They must be either carnivorous plants or aquatics. Everything else I have tried has rotted or gotten covered in algae from the constant splashing of water on the leaves. I suppose other plants that also REALLY LOVE water and humidity would also do well, but I haven't found any. Perhaps bromeliads that like having their 'vase' full of water all the time and are growing epiphytically so that their roots don't stay too wet. I even had no success with ferns next to my waterfall. Even java moss seems to get a black mold on it after a little while. So anything in the 'splash zone' must be very water-loving.

4) Terrariums are highly addictive. I now have three of them, one main tank, one for carnivorous plants, and one for propagating other plants (mostly cuttings). I hope to make another one in the coming year, about 20-30 gallons. =) Soon my house will be littered with tanks! Just like when we were crazy about fish. . . it's hazardous to keep all those extra tanks you had!

5) Phalaenopsis orchids are not good orchids for terrariums. I never got a single one of mine to rebloom. Lots of leaves, no flowers. So, one by one, I have taken them out, and put them in pots on my windowsills, and they have all rebloomed (except one, but it needs more time), thanks to that lovely temp. drop that they need. So unless your terrarium is right by a window or gets a draft (which most other plants don't like), steer clear of phals. Stick with truly warm growers, esp. the minis!

And that's all I can think of right now. Of course I've only been into this for a year and a couple months. I hope the others chime in!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES