SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wonderpets_gw

Lessons Learned So Far

wonderpets
15 years ago

I remember a similar thread from earlier in the season. It took me a while to find that one, but I've linked it below. I think there was another one about what you'd do differently after trying SFG for a while. I still can't find that one.

Anyway, I wanted to post what I'd learned this year and encourage everyone to add their own lessons, whether they are SFG-related (like placement of my trellis) or just general (like Fay + tomatoes = so much moisture and splitting!).

Lessons I've learned this year

1. When the weather people say to expect up to 5" over a three-day period, pick every slightly red tomato you have. Or else, after the rains subside, expect that 75% of your crop will have huge skin splits.

2. Peppers need lots of light and tomatoes grow tall. Situate your bell peppers so that they will get more sun and not be shaded by tomato trees.

3. Trellis supports need to be really, really tall, so that you can get them deep in the ground. Preferably, put them in the "regular" ground outside of your raised bed. Otherwise, don't count the several inches of soil inside the bed as part of their depth. One good rain or two and the poles can topple.

4. Mel probably suggests trellising tomatoes because they'll need the extra support. See rain problem in number 3.

5. Cucumbers and pole beans look nice sharing a trellis, but watch out for the cucumbers to take over!

6. As I've mentioned elsewhere, the official starter size of 4' wide can be problematic for shorter folks. If you let your tomatoes bush, think about whether you can really reach all the way in. Also, think about the items planted on the other side of the trellis. Can you see through AND reach through (at the same time) the net and the plant to harvest something growing in the next square?

7. Put down some kind of material outside your box to deter weeds and grass.

8. Don't connect all your trellises together -- if you do, when one falls (see above), they all fall.

I have a few other thoughts after this season, mostly pertaining to composting. I may start a similar thread over there when I have time.

What have YOU learned?

Here is a link that might be useful: Lessons after second year

Comments (7)

Sponsored