SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardner_want_to_be

Newbie - Lessons learned this year!!! What have you learned?

gardner-want-to-be
16 years ago

The most important lesson I learned is that this WSing is great--I love it and can't wait to do it again. And, even though I am a senior citizen, I am not too old to learn a lot of new tricks...which is because of all you wonderful members of this forum, I can't thank you enough. I also learned the following for next year.

Put more thought into what I am WSing. This year, I sowed a lot of perenials that I didn't know would not bloom the first year; therefore, I couldn't help but buy some annuals for color in my garden. I planted them all around my perenials that I will see bloom next year, or the next. I did a lot of research on flowers, but still didn't know a lot about them. I planted some seeds which had no chance of growing here in this zone...also, the squirrels liked the taste of them and ate them. I started too late--first WS planting was almost last of Feb (but I couldn't help that due to surgery). I will start on the Winter Soltice this year. I am already thinking about what I will WS. And, don't try to sow all the seeds I can get my hands on--it is impossible to get them all planted out soon enough, I still have some to get in the ground. My neighbors and friends sure have loved the ones I gave to them though. One friend even got all of one kind and left me none. I got her back though, when I went to her home on Saturday, and she was not home, I picked me a lot of seeds. LOL!!! Here are a couple of pictures of my beds:

I love my nasties--I am going to plant many more this year.

{{gwi:410263}}

I put all this sod down in my side yard since 1 May and made the sidewalk with cypress mulch. I tried to do too much for an old lady like myself--it was wonderful fun though! This weekend I bought two Jasmine to grown on the Arbor.

{{gwi:410264}}

Some of my WS plants, planted among all my others.

{{gwi:410265}}

{{gwi:410266}}

{{gwi:410267}}

{{gwi:410268}}

Some of the critters that come up from the creek every AM for their breakfast.

{{gwi:410269}}

Is the middle one a plant or weed? (next to the PVC pipe I am putting in to water easier and better)

{{gwi:410270}}

My favorite hosta bed--I didn't even know what a hosta was until last yer--a friend brought me some when he went to visit his Mom in Pennsylvania.

{{gwi:410271}}

Don't want to bore you good folks any longer, so I will only show a couple more pictures of my new side bed.

{{gwi:410272}}

{{gwi:410273}}

Oops! Couldn't forget to show you Elvis. He gets awful tired sitting in various windows watching me work outside. I can't let him come out with me because he was already declawed when I got him--he is a Katrina refugee.

{{gwi:410274}}

Again, thanks for all your help and I love the pictures of your gardens that you have been posting. Keep them coming--I can't wait until my beds get full like yours. Hope I haven't bored you too much. It has been fun putting my pictures on this post and listening to the wonderful RAIN outside. We sure need it. Happy Gardening!

Jeane

Comments (27)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012