SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deannac_gw

Think I'm losing my acorn squash!

deannac
11 years ago

Okay, I'm not sure what I'm not doing, but it's something. This is my first year growing Table Queen squash.

They came up like gangbusters, started blooming, set a ton of fruit and when I went out to water this am, I saw that the leaves have a white scale on them!

I KNOW I have some sort of caterpillar that eats sevin dust for dessert, I've tried to hand pick them, but idk how as they're inside the closed blooms, the blooms that are fruiting. I'm assuming that's what's causing the droppage.

I also have Amish pie pumpkins and sugar baby watermelons in the same bed, but they seem unaffected by the scale, although I suspect the caterpillars are doing some damage there as well.

Does anyone know what I can use to kill the caterpillars (organic's good, but I have no problem using insecticides when nothing else works, even if I have to hand pollinate). The chickens get the ones they can (chickens are great if you have tomato worms and such, they go right in and get to work).

Side note, I also have the last of the crowder peas in that bed, the trellis they're on will support the melons as they take over. I've done that last pea planting for seed (I love em so much I ate all but 10 pods, so I planted them to gather seed for next year)...WHEW. Thanks so much ya'll, I'll try to get pics of the scale. I felt it, thinking it was mildew, but it's not...grrrr

Comments (2)