SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calshaye

help!! i'm losing my av's again!

calshaye
11 years ago

Hi everyone, I'm having problems again and I really need some help. I'm losing my AV's again but this time it is due to powdery mildew. Also think my soil mixture is not right. I have about 25 named varieties and alot of them have babies. I noticed white stuff on the lower part of the leaves and also on the pieces of perlite in the soil mix. Let me back up just a minute. I had algae growing on top of the soil of ones I had bought. So I purchased pyhsan 20 made a weak solution of the stuff and treated my plants. They seemed to handle it ok but had a few rough days. They seemed to come out of it and I thought everything was Ok, I noticed they were dry so I watered them with fertilizer just yesterday as they felt dry to the touch. They are in 3 oz. solo cups and some of the smaller ones are in 1 oz. solo cups.

My soil mixture is 50% perlite, 25% coarse vermiculite and 25% peat. It was suggested that I put thin layer of perlite on the bottom of the cups then filled the rest with the soil mixture. Finally I got mouse ears on alot of them, then the algae appeared so I did physan treatment.The physan really didn't make much of a difference and it was alot of work so I didn't bother to do the follow up 10 day treatment. Just cleaning the top of the dirt made more of a difference so I did this to all of them. Now I just watered them the other day as they were dry to the touch and I have powdery mildew. I have noticed that alot of the mildew is on the perlite. I have cleaned some of the with q-tip and alcohol but I still have the mildew on many plants. I did just put a small fan up tonight to give them adequate air circulation to see if this will help.

Should I transplant them into a better mixture or just leave them alone for now. Some have babies and it is affecting those. They are still to small to separate. I have some leaves that still do not have mouse ears or babies yet on others but I have noticed mildew on the bottom of some of these leaves. I started all of this in July so should I transplant them into a new soil mixture of 1:1:1? I am fertilizing with 7:7:7 each time I water. Some I top water and some are in wick watering containers. Please help me!!! I lost my 1st bunch of leaves and had to start all over. I know I must be doing something wrong just not sure what to do now. They are under lights and have about 12-14 hrs. per day. Sorry I went on so long but just wanted to let you know what's going on so I could get some advice. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have googled this and did a search on the forums but didn't find enough information to help. Any thoughts......

Thank you so much for listening to my AV problems!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH