SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oldlace

New to canning, scared I messed up!

OldLace
11 years ago

Hi all,

After a long time of wanting to take up canning, I did what I felt was a decent amount of research and decided to can some apple butter. I don't have and family or friends who can, so I had to do it on my own.

I understand that fruits can be canned in a water bath, and veggies and meats have to be pressure cooked to kill botulism.

The recipe I followed for the apple butter called for lemon juice, but I didn't have any handy and I figured it was only for flavor anyway, so I skipped it, made my apple butter and processed 5 jars of it.

Then a few hours later I read a different recipe (for cherry pie filling) that said you have to add lemon juice to these things because it helps with the acid levels to kill bacteria.

Now I'm scared I messed up my apple butter! The last thing I want is to make my husband and kids sick because I canned bad food! Should I hurry up and eat it? Save it? Dump it down the sink? Can I open it, add lemon juice and try again? The seals on the jars popped perfectly, so I know they're sealed, but I can't stop worrying about this stupid lemon juice! Please help!

Comments (9)