SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ty2019

i messed up, i need advice with lawn renovation

Ty2019
11 years ago

Hi to all, i'm a (Newbie) and what im about to share will make the pro's here cringe and some of the one's that got a little experince under there belt shake there head and laugh out loud. my lady has been getting on me for the last 3yrs about our backyard but because of work and my traveling she some what cut me some slack,im pretty handy in the house,in the garage and outdoors when im camping and fishing,im explaining my mistakes in the order that they happen,april 2010 we move in, honey what you gonna do about the back yard ahh it's ok we got grass a few bald spots here a few bald spot's there a few weeds here and there i'll just THROW down some grass seed water it pay the neighborhood kid to cut it, it'll be ok,honey why the grass ani't growing the birds must've ate my seeds,year 2011 i'll just spray the weeds and THROW down some fertilizer,it'll grow then,April 27th 2012 i actually take the time and walk thru our yard looking at it thru my "unexperinced" eyes, i see weeds some funny looking grass and what my neighbor called creeping charlie, so i come up with this brite idea and i sell it to my lady, start over thats all just start over i borrow my co-wokers "Rotiller" its friday nice and sunny and i go to work at it from 2 that afternoon to 8 that nite i "till" 6" down the neighbors are bringing me ice water, i pick up the clumps of dirt shak'em throw the grass in a lawn bag get up brite and early sat.morning level everything off grab my brand new hand spreader put down some scotts turf starter,put down some scotts Bluegrass seeds and cover everything up with peat moss,just as im finishing it starts to rain and im standing there thinking and grining like a chess cat from ear to ear, this can't get any better i did it i finally did it ! i come in my lady is happy im happy " WHO DA MAN " i grab a cold beer and for the next 3weeks i water faithfully,it started of nice on the side of my house i had a 7X12 foot section that came up beautifully,next to my garage i had a 4x4 section that came up good also and as you already know by now everything else was all weeds with very very little new grass growing in between them! i turned up every weed known to man i turned up creeping charlie again,crab grass,dandelions and these little things,little leaves on a stem that were lined up perfect side by side up along the side of my garage that i have never seen before in the yard,i promise you i was thinking the neighbor hood kids had come into my yard and planted them as a prank they were every bit of 3" tall and lined up to perfect my neighbor said if i left them alone they would grow into maple trees, ENOUGH this is it i went and bought some roundup weed and grass killer mowed it short and sprayed everything as of today its starting to turn yellow/brown,i really need some advice on what steps i should take now to prepare for my end of august early sept planting,after this first treatment i think i should rake up all dead matter and treat any new weeds that come back all the way up to my plan planting,since i done tilled once will i need to turn up the first inch or two right before i plant again ( PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME THATS NOT NEEDED) sorry my post was long but i had to explain as to how i ended up in this mess,and Thank you in advance for any help/options you can give me with this.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio