SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thegunnerswife

New to gardening, hope I didn't mess up!

TheGunnersWife
9 years ago

Okay I live in SoCal and my husband LOVES to smell my parents roses whenever he walked up to their front door. I decided I wanted to get him some of his own so I got some Mr. Lincoln trees and a few shorter Mr. Lincolns and several Tiffanys. I also have 2 patio trees in pots, I think they are Julia Childs. I have learned so much from looking around on this forum for a few weeks and now I am finally registered and posting!
I have had the Mr. Lincoln trees and the patio Julia Childs for a while now. I didn't think the patio trees would survive but they have and they have bloomed several times! Right now one of them has browning all over the leaves and I am not sure what happened. It had aphids and after reading on here, I sprayed them off with the hose. I have used the Bayer plant food granuals before I knew I should not do that on new plants!
I built some planters in the front of my house and I dug out the dirt, sifted the rocks out, got dirt from the side of my house that I have sifted, mixed it with potting soil and filled my planters with it. when I dug the holes for the roses, I added special potting soil for roses with bone meal in it. I have been watering them most every day.
The Mr. Lincolns seemed to have gone into crazy shock when hey were taken out of their pots and planted! One of the tall trees lost ALL his leaves, he has grown the leaves back but neither of the tall ones are blooming anymore. On several of them I put the granular food when I planted them. I stopped doing that on the last 3 I planted because I read it could burn the tender roots on new plants.
The plants had roses on them when i bought them and even some buds, the roses have all died and I cut them off, the buds never opened. The Tiffanys actually had the stems bend and wilt, I don't know what happened. What should I do with these guys?
I got them all from Lowes and they have a 1 year guarantee.
Hopefully I can get some of the pictures up that I took and you all can see what I have.
Any advice on how I should care for these guys so they live and want to bloom would be great!

Comments (9)