SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
singcharlene

I didn't harden off veggie transplants in new garden!

singcharlene
17 years ago

My 8 yr old son & I were so excited to plant today & I totally forgot about hardening plants off outside first. Except for a few tomato & cucumber plants that I bought last week & had them sitting outside underneath a slatted patio cover, we bought a lot transplants today & planted them today. We planted: tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, cucumbers, carrots, pumpkins, squash, zucchini, peas, spinach, herbs, strawberries, & will plant seeds this week.

Are they doomed?!

We built raised beds last weekend. My second veggie garden ever.

Four beds 10'x4' each, a "patch" on the ground 8'x8', & two tractor tires for pumpkins. We filled with a mix from a soil company of compost, planting mix, peat moss & cow manure. It's seems like the mix should be richer (especially for the price of 7 yards!) it has a lot of small rocks in it. Topped it off with organic fish type fertilizer.

If anyone has done this before, what, if anything, happened to your plants? My son helped weed, rototill, build the boxes, fill the boxes & did all the planting & watering today with me. I would hate for his first experience to be a drag because of my newbiness.

I guess there's nothing to do but wait & see? Thanks!

Comments (4)