SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sivyaleah

Hoping I Didn't Kill My New Valencia

12 years ago

I had ordered a few bare root roses several weeks ago. One of them, Valencia, was planted in a poor spot. I didn't realize it - I'm new to this home so not quite used to the different areas of the garden spots yet. I do admit, it was the last in that day and we were utterly exhausted. Where I planted it was more for appearance sake, and as it went in I mentioned to my BF that I was concerned about the quality of the native soil plus we were running out of the amendments at that point and it was late on Sunday and nothing was open any more.

Anyhoo. Put it in and hoped it was ok.

A week later, I realized the area was just TOO moist. Told BF we were going to have to get it out of there and find another place for it. But, by the time we actually managed to get around to it, nearly 2 weeks had passed. There was some die back at the cane tips, and what little leafing out it had (which it came with) was dying off.

I purchased a very large pot for it instead with very good soil (Dr. Earth) and mulched it too. I had one spot in the yard which gets sun nearly all day so I figured this rose needed the best spot possible, but, I didn't want to dig it in because it's right by my back porch steps and having a thorny bush permanently there may not have been the best idea; I figured I could move it to the patio later on once it's healthier.

I cut back the dead parts once planted. The rest of the canes are still green. But it sure does not look happy.

Can anyone give me any tips on how to baby this one along until it recovers? Thanks very much.

Comments (5)