SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Thoughts on basement canning kitchen for retail

2ajsmama
13 years ago

I was thinking of getting an electric coil range and putting it in my basement for canning - I can't really PC on my glass-top in the kitchen. Running water (actually the sink drain) might be a problem though since basement is below grade/and waste pipe is fairly high on the wall, don't want to have to put in pump just for a sink drain.

I don't know what Health Dept would think of a basement kitchen though, since I am thinking of making acidified foods to sell, I don't need a commercial kitchen as of today, but there will be inspections. Maybe it will be easier to pass inspections if I cook and jar upstairs, but I don't know if I want to run hot jars downstairs. The BWB with water and jars is heavy (as would be the PC). I could just fill pots (cooking and BWB) with water upstairs, then cook and process, cool, downstairs. The BWB isn't that heavy with just water (no jars) in it.

But don't know if cooking in basement would be a no-no. Maybe cook upstairs, then run the hot preserving pan and fill jars (heated in BWB in basement) downstairs? Would that still be frowned upon (having open pan/jars in basement with concrete floor & walls, exposed insulation in ceiling)? Maybe I'd have to finish the ceiling in that area? Do I *need* to have running water in the processing area? Or just the prep/cleanup area(s)?

Thoughts?

Comments (12)