SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
breakfast_gw

Kitchen Layout thoughts?

breakfast
13 years ago

First post, would like some feedback on my initial layout. I know I need to provide more info, but I am meeting with my first contractor next week to get an idea of my possible budget (I am guessing $25K with middle of the road finishes) and wanted to try and get some feedback. Thanks to anyone who has the time/patience to take a look.

I only will have a 4 wide aisle, have about 4Â 10" now, but also work around our portable dishwasher as movable island a lot.

Would appreciate any general feedback. Pics are from before we moved in. Color scheme slightly lighter and some open shelves now installed on right wall of kitchen.

Here is some information overload about my kitchen.

Galley kitchen, openings on either end to access dining room/ sun-breakfast room and also exit to back door and basement on bottom of drawing or north wall of kitchen.

Main goal is to open up kitchen to dining room/ dining room to living room. Also would like to upgrade appliances, get more counter space and install dishwasher under counter instead of hooking it up to the sink and rolling it around the kitchen as an island. Would also like counter space next to stove, currently a wall on one side. Was thinking a 24" cabinet with a flip up 18" to 2 countertop to extend, or a 36" high 4 breakfast bar with a 12" cabinet underneath and a counter that extended 15" from the cabinet. Will also add 5  6 outlets in kitchen (2 current not behind refrigerator/ stove. And some in the breakfast room. I tried to show on drawing along wall.

2 Adults. 1 toddler, one on the way.

Usually 1-2.5 people in kitchen.

Informal entertaining mostly. Kitchen cooking and cleaning connecting to hanging out areas.

Â

Hoping to keep sink and stove within inches of current location (as shown on drawing only moved several inches, moving fridge to opposite wall, will need new water line for water/ice. Stove has no hood right now, will install cabinet attached. Hoping to keep existing pine floors.

Â

On drawings existing doorways are yellow, existing windows are blue, walls we want to knock down are green. All doorways are doorless, opening into LR from dining room is an arch.

Â

Would like to keep stairway/ windows if possible. Wall to sunroom is original exterior wall, think it would be too expensive to open up more.

Â

Would like to move existing 12" deep cabinets (1-24" Wx 84" H pantry, 2- 33" 34"+H double door cabinets) to breakfast room for breakfast station with coffee maker, toaster oven and microwave.

Would like to keep sink under window, proposing 33" cabinet/ 30" sink? Would like SS undermount or apron sink.

Â

All appliances planning to be white. do you plan on having (helps to figure out work flow, work zones, and types of cabinets...upper/lower vs full height, etc.)

o Free standing Range 30"

o DW Â have portable Maytag that can be converted, hoping to use

o Refrigerator would like counterdepth French door bottom freezer, 36" W.

o Would like to add garbage disposal and vent/hood (cabinet attached) for range.

o Like open shelves have now, would like to maintain above dishwasher or use glass cabinetry. Also will have 2 open shelves above old cabinets to be relocated in breakfast room.

o New cabinets I am thinking oak? I think thatÂs what I have currently, or bottom oak and upper white or creamy yellow.

dining room looking towards living room

kitchen looking into sunroom over looks park

overview plan

kitchen looking towards sunroom

dining room proposed layout

sunroom-breakfast room layout

Comments (12)