SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
camg_gw

Had to find new builder and design new kitchen. Thoughts?

CamG
11 years ago

Hi everyone,
We were within a few weeks of breaking ground the custom home I slaved over for the last year when we had to find a new builder (for reasons too complicated to discuss here). We are simply burned out at the prospect of getting new bids on our custom house, and we found a great new builder whose stock plan, with some modifications, is quite similar and really quite nice. I'm ready to get on with my life, and we will soon have 2 little ones under 2 in our 900 sf house, so it's time to get moving forward on this.

Below is the result of my changes to the new builder's kitchen. The island is 60" x 37" with a 15" overhang facing the broom closet. We haven't planned out all the cabinets yet, but were thinking on having an 18" drawer base to the right of the dishwasher, and a 18" pull-out trash to the left of the sink. We should have right about 4' clearance on all sides of the island. The door to the stairs leads to the basement. The door to the bottom goes into a front living room.

My primary concern about this set up is that it is a long and weird path to get utensils out of the drawer base next to the dishwasher, get food out of the microwave, and then sit at the island. I don't really see any other place to put the microwave. I thought about putting the fridge where the broom closet is, but then I've got an island right between the fridge and sink.

Kitchen gurus, please any thoughts? Thanks so much everyone.

Comments (32)