SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
61tinkerbell

Ripping out brand new, never used, builder grade kitchen... Crazy?

tinker_2006
8 years ago

Hi friends,

We are going to be building a new, semi custom home, but after viewing the design center, I'm really disappointed in my cabinet selection they offer (Home Depot - American Woodmark). They will not offer a credit and have to put the kitchen in, The upgrades are over-priced ridiculous... Maybe it would be easier if I was green to building, but I'm not, and our current home has beautiful, custom build cabinets that were half the price of the upgrades this builder offers. I might be able to swallow the kitchen upgrade cost - IF I LIKED THE CABINETS, but I don't! The white is too white for me and the other option is too creamy for my taste.

I'm thinking of purchasing the bare bones, and replace the cabinets before we move in. I'm sure that new, custom built will be less than the $22,000 upgrades (upgrades is basically the range hood, door panels on island, and a few other little stuff). How crazy does this sound? Or it it worth considering upgrades, keep the boxes and replace the doors only? I HAVE to order the granite I want - and that is making me nervous.. that it will have to be removed and replaced. This is NOT a big kitchen at all.. we are scaling down home size, but I don't want to scale down home quality.

Comments (35)