SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jgronholm9861

Would I be crazy to paint my brand new cabinets?

Jenn Gronholm
6 years ago
A year ago, we purchased a home with brand new maple cabinets which were put in by the previous owners as they were trying to sell the house. They had already moved out by that point so they did not even use the kitchen after it was redone so it was literally brand spanking new when we moved in.

The cabinets are very nice and appear to be good quality. The only problem is that I desperately want a white kitchen and I really wish the cabinets were white. I have thought about painting them, but I’m terrified of either ruining them, or having them look beautiful at first only to be a complete disaster after a year or two.

I have done a lot of research on the subject of painting cabinets and have found many people who have painted their cabinets white with great results. However, most of the time it’s people whose cabinets were really outdated and they were trying to freshen and modernize them until they can afford to replace them. Replacing mine will likely never be in the budget, at least not in the foreseeable future. And even if I could afford to, it seems completely ridiculous to tear out perfectly good, brand new cabinets.

So basically, the only way I will get a white kitchen is if I paint the cabinets. Should I do it? My family thinks I’m insane to even consider it. Please help!

Here is a picture of my cabinets as they are now. For reference, I believe my counter tops are fantasty brown granite.

Comments (22)