SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
camg_gw

New plan, new builder, question about columns

CamG
11 years ago

(Sorry in advance for the length.) The many people of this forum have been a tremendous help to me in designing our own plan over the last year. Unfortunately, we ran into issues with the builder we had been working with for the nearly the last year, and within a few weeks of breaking ground, had to part ways. We are completely burned out on this house designing process, and our custom plan was probably beyond what we wanted to spend except for that one builder, who promised to do the plan for significantly cheaper than the other bids we received (which perhaps should have been our first red flag, but that's immaterial now). We're ready to be done for another reason, we were ready to simply move on: last night, my wife gave birth to our second (both mom and girl are doing great). The two are 14 months apart, and we will have very little free time in the coming months to think about house designs, bids, etc.

Yesterday (just before my wife's water broke), we signed a contract for a heavily-modified version of a local builder's stock plan. We're really happy with the plan, the price, and the builder, which are three things we were never able to connect before.

The plan does not comply with much of the excellent advice we have received on this forum (it has large, front facing garage and faux-craftsman-like columns) but after a great deal of thought, WE'RE happy with it, and that's what matters.

At any rate, here's the question: I had the builder add a column to the front, and we're trying to decide the proper placement. I don't have an elevation yet, I'm hoping to have this decision made prior to the elevations being finished. I can't move any of the windows in the house, but I can move the front door and the front pillars. The following are the two choices as I see them: (these pictures are photoshop versions, but generally reflect the placement of pillars according to the actual plans I'm drawing on. I'm sitting in the hospital now and won't have a chance to scan the plans for some time, so hopefully these provide enough of an idea to make a decision.)

Option A: Have two pillars flank the front door, leaving a long open space next to it (but then the window won't be centered in the pillars)

Option B: Have the pillars all equadistant, with the front door and front window centered between pillars, and have about 8" of space between the left-most pillar and the garage wall.

The movement of the front door really makes no difference to the floor plan, as there is a 6' deep front hall running between the garage and the living room, so this is really purely an issue of aesthetics from the exterior. I suspect Option A will always bug me because the first story window is not centered between the pillars. Thoughts?

Again, thank you everyone for all of your help, I'm sorry we will be unable to use much of it.

Comments (12)