SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bdmike

Need Info on Training Weeping Norway Spruces 2 Dimensionally

bdmike
15 years ago

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and am very grateful for all the great info here.

Here is my question......A few years back, actually quite a few years, I remember seeing a row of weeping norway spruces planted along a property line for privacy. The trees' branches were strategically trained horizontally along wire horizontals at set intervals (if I can remember correctly probably every 3 feet up to about 12-15 feet and then topped off at the top wire). All branches that strayed out of the 2 dimensions were pruned off. Branches were pruned along the horizontals when they met up with the next tree's branch along that same wire. This gave the row a very unique look which reminded me of curtains hanging on a stage before a performance. This allowed for an excellent privacy hedge with a thin profile for limited space. My questions are....1) Does anyone out there know what I am talking about and/or done this type of training with Weeping Norways? 2) Which Weeping Norways would lend themselves better to this type of training..'inversa' (which I am leaning towards), 'reflexa' (which I don't think has the best growth habit for this application) or any others? Suggestions? 3) What would be the ideal spacing between trees? 4 feet..6 feet...8 feet?...more? and 4) What would be the ideal spacing between horizontal wires..2 feet.. 3 feet, 4 feet? 5) Any good sources for the trees here in NY?....... This type of training is similar to vineyards, but with much more height. Thanks and I look forward to posting on this forum since conifers are one of my passions. Mike

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville