SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
argyleeyes_gw

Weeping Spruce: Norway vs. White

argyleeyes
12 years ago

Hi, I have plans to put 4 weeping spruces in my front yard (grouped in 2's). I can't decide between the Norway (Picea abies 'Pendula') and the White (Picea glauca 'Pendula'). I'm almost ready to get two of each! Any thoughts on the White vs. the Norway (or something similar) would be appreciated!

Here is some more detailed info:

I don't have a lot of room, so I like that both are columnar. I need some conifers with a lot of height, but not much width! They will be north facing, but near the front of my yard so they will get sun almost all day long. I'm in about a zone 5 (Utah, near Provo). The dirt is rocky clay, but they will be on a slope. We get a lot of deer in the winter!

I'm trying to go for the "woodland/alpine" rocky garden look. I like the straggled "Charlie Brown Christmas Tree" look - but I want to avoid the extreme "Dr. Suess" look. I don't like anything that is really full and bushy.

I like that the Norway is a deep green and has interesting cones. I need it to be upright/vertical, so I'm not excited about keeping it staked.

I like that the White is more upright (doesn't need to be staked?). I also like that it doesn't look as "ragged" as some Norway's, but at the same time it still isn't "bushy". I wish they were as green as the Norway!

If I do decide to get 2 of each, do you know if the growth rate is similar? I don't mind that they won't match "exactly", but at the same time I don't want one variety to look significantly taller/wider/healthier than the other in a few years. (Both the Norway's and the Whites at the nursery are about 5' right now).

Also, the two Norway's that are at the Nursery are staked, and they have a central leader that is nice and vertical. If they are already "heading in the right direction" would I need to stake them? Would I need to stake the Whites?

Thanks to all of you conifer experts out there! I've been trying to figure this out myself, but so much of what I find on the Norway's is in reference to the "slumpy" (not staked) version.

Comments (4)