SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cnid_gw

more on staking weeping norway spruce

cnid
15 years ago

I got 2 picea abies pendula in 5 gallon pots for $50 each! They are in great shape. Couple questions.

My site is very windy. I have trees planted around the perimeter but they aren't yet an effective windbreak. Are the weeping norways fragile in the wind if grown tall?

They are not especially pot bound but there are some bits of root circling. Should I leave them or tease them out? Thought I read that conifers did not take kindly to having their root ball disturbed, moreso than other plants.

The trees are 4 and 5 feet tall, not counting pot. I would like to continue to train them up. I have looked at many internet sites and can't get an idea of how tall it will grow. So many sites have exactly the same blurb - 6 feet with staking. Another (reliable) site says 16 feet! I am planning to put a 10 foot length of copper pipe in when I plant it. I thought I would let it start to droop at about 7 feet tall. But if they only go to 6 feet, I want to leave some of it to droop.

Finally, I think I need to factor in lateral growth when I place them. Even if staked up, can I expect fairly broad lateral growth from the lower branches? Read 12-13 foot spread on one site, but is that if left prostrate? Just thinking about what to plant next to it.

Thanks

Comments (8)