SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gumper97

Is a weeping Norway spruce a good specimen near a swimming pool?

gumper97
14 years ago

Hello,

We are about to install a swimming pool in our yard. We built our house last year and the landscaping is still minimal. We put a windbreak of columnar Norway maples/blue spruce/Oregon green pine (I think?) down one property line, and the existing neighbour on the other side has several pines, viburnums and bamboo grass screening our property from his. Otherwise, the yard is empty.

The pool design we are going with is a lagoon shape. There will be a wrought iron fence around the pool and deck itself rather than fencing the whole back yard.

We plan to landscape around the perimeter of that fence and there is one area where the concrete and fence 'nip in' (for lack of a better term) leaving us with a wide garden space - perhaps 8x10 ft - to fill.

I was thinking of putting a (staked) weeping Norway spruce there as a specimen, plus some smaller underplantings. Is a Norway spruce a good choice to locate close to a pool? Are there any other recommendations you could give instead? I'm in zone 5 and the area is relatively sheltered. I'd like to stay away from anything that will drop debris in the pool/deck or that would die if it got splashed with salt water.

Thanks!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!