SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessicakoehler

Placement of Weeping Norway Spruce, Dwarf Bald Cypress, Crabapple?

jessicakoehler
7 years ago

Hi there,

This is my first time writing for landscape design, so I hope I'm in the right place!

I just had a fence installed a few months ago, and finally getting around to making a bed in the last bit that was empty.

I purchased:

1 Lollipop Crabapple tree

1 Weeping Norway Spruce

1 Dwarf Bald Cypress

I just planted the weeping spruce and the crabapple tonight, so I'm able to easily move them. I have to adjust them anyway because they were planted a bit high, but it was getting late and wanted to get them in the ground.

Now for the help. I originally thought to put the lollipop crabapple tree in the corner because I know "eventually" it can get 10x10 feet. Does anyone have one and have an opinion on that? I read you can trim them, but not sure how much you can trim without hurting the tree. I do want it to grow, but it is very small right now. I just took out an ornamental pear tree from that spot that I planted last year because it had a disease, unfortunately. It was tall and went over the fence. Now I am staring at this little guy, and it seems off! haha

I know it is quite bare, even when these get planted, but I am just not happy with it. Would anyone care to share their opinion?

A few options I thought - remove crabapple and find another spot for him. Maybe put him down near where I have the cypress hanging out. Move Weeping Norway to spot the crabapple is, maybe put some rocks near him so the branches can cascade over rocks?

We don't have the biggest space, so we tend to purchase unique trees/shrubs and don't follow must rules when it comes to gardening. We tend to like more of the rock garden/japanese inspired designs. We like things that look unique, and I purchased the crabapple mainly for the birds.

Any advice I would dearly appreciate! :)

Thank you!

Here is a better picture of the space - even though I did more and extended the bed down (past the weeping spruce) - I am replacing the boxwoods along the chainlink with a elderberry tower to give more privacy. This is when the ornamental pear was in place. I really miss it, but it has pear rust and it gets very bad late summer - and I noticed the tree has weakened this year :( Would rather remove it while it's small and not have to deal with it later.

Comment