SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trainee

Have you removed all grass from your front yard & replaced with plants

KW PNW Z8
16 days ago
last modified: 12 days ago

5/2/24 Update: I don’t know why I didn’t include the conifer forum in my list for where to pose my question so I’m belatedly doing it now. I’m still in info gathering mode to be ready to articulate my ’vision’ to the Pro landscape designer who will come to our home on 8th for intial consult. I welcome ideas & input on things I should consider.

My home is in SW WA & we are considering removing our front yard turf & replacing with a designed scape of dwarf conifers, some native plants and hard scape - dry creek beds, rockery etc. Our reasons for this are around reducing usage of water, chemicals needed to maintain turf and a lot about ease of maintenance as we age in place in our single story home. We have previously reduced turf area by widening borders & adding dwarf confers to the borders but the yard is still mostly turf. We do have an upcoming in home consultation appointment with a professional landscape designer. In our neighborhood of 58 homes, at least 9 have either never had a turf front yard due to lack of space or never wanted turf so have had shrubs and ground covers. Several have removed their turf later and added plantings & rockery so neighborhood acceptance of no turf not an issue. Of course, no HOA either. Our lot is very wide so we do have a good stretch of grass in front - more than most homes in the neighborhood.

I’m looking for tips & suggestions for things we should consider. I also would love any sites you know about with pictures & examples of smaller yards with landscape without turf. I am making a list of site factors & challenges to consider - such as excessive fir needle drop from the old growth firs on properties behind us. When the big winds come from east our roof & even west facing front yard can be covered with fir needles & cones. I’m also listing existing established plants that must stay put & those that can be relocated as well as those I’d part with.

Do any of you have advice for me to think about? Thanks!

This pic below was taken from neighbor’s drive - the border is the brick - rocks are his.

Elfin Thyme along top of lawn

Comments (85)