SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spruceman

Health and Beauty of Norway Spruce Trees--a Hypothesis

spruceman
13 years ago

Health and Beauty of Norway Spruce Trees--a Hypothesis

I have talked in this forum more than once before about the very high degree of variability in Norway spruce trees. In my previous posts I have emphasized the importance of having the right genetic strain for each area of the country--the right seed source or provenance.

Another issue I have discussed here is the possibility--I think a very high possibility--that Norway spruce trees are damaged and or killed by improper applications of soil acting lawn weed control chemicals. I don't have anything approaching good scientific evidence for this, but I have observed a possible cause/effect relationship of this kind so many times over the 30 years or so that I have just about concluded that it is fact.

Now I want to present another hypothesis about Norway spruce growth. Again, I have nothing like scientific evidence for my specific hypothesis, but there is a large body of scientific research that is at least tangentially related.

Here is my new hypothesis: That Norway spruce trees, especially those growing on strongly acid, and even moderately acid soils not especially high in magnesium content, can benefit from applications of pulverized or pelleted high magnesium limestone, even when there are no symptoms of any magnesium deficiency.

There has been a good deal of research on the causes and treatment of the so called "forest death" that has occurred in parts of the Black Forest in Germany, and in forests in other parts of Europe. Much of this research has focused on Norway spruce trees. The problem has been determined to be at least partly a magnesium deficiency aggravated by acid rain, air pollution, and drought. Applications of magnesium have proved to be beneficial. You can review this research on-line by using "spruce magnesium deficiency" for your search.

My hypothesis here is something very different from what that research has shown. Basically it is this: that seemingly healthy Norway spruce, but spruce that seems to have relatively poor growth and generally thin foliage, etc., can be made to look much more healthy and lush by the application of high mag limestone to the extent that the Ph and the amount of magnesium in the soil is brought well above the minimum levels needed to avoid specific symptoms of any deficiency.

In a nutshell, those of you who have poorly growing or unattractive Norway spruce trees may have a remedy.

I have been a careful studier and observer of Norway spruce for something like 30 years. I have had this hypothesis in mind for about 20 years now, but the only evidence I have had has been casual observations. More and more these casual observations have led me to think about this more and more. This last weekend I made an observation--again, not a carefully scientific one--that has prompted me to finally post this.

I visited the Morvin Park Estate in Leesburg, VA. I had visited this estate several times before. There are a good number of Norway spruce planted there. Almost all of them from all appearances, including their age, would seem to be a single planting from a single seed source. Most of them are relatively attractive, but not especially so. Now what really grabbed my interest at this visit was one particular Norway spruce tree. It is like all the others in its very basic appearance, including the cones. I had seen this tree each time I had visited the estate before and took no special notice of it--it seemed much like the others. But this time I was, and this may not be too strong a word, simply "shocked" by what I saw. This tree was so incredibly lush and full with dense foliage of a wonderful green color, that it looked like a completely different kind of tree from all the other Norway spruce trees there.

Anyone in the area can visit this tree--it is the first one you see as you take the path from the parking lot up towards the estate house. It is about 150 feet or so up from the parking lot.

OK, here is my hypothesis. How could that tree be so different from all the others on the estate, and seemingly so improved from what it looked like a few years ago? What could be different? What could be the cause?

This Norway spruce tree is the only one growing in a special garden area, the area where the most prominent former owners of the estate are buried. There has been in recent years a large project to restore the estate house, and along with that, some new special attention has been paid to the garden area. It looks like it has been more carefully attended, and here is the key, I am guessing, yes, just guessing, it has been fertilized, and the grassy areas, including that under and around this tree, treated with "lime."

There are a number of limestone quarries in the area, and many if not most of those produce high mag limestone.

OK, this is just one observation, but I have made many, many other similar ones. Just for one more--at the Virginia Arboretum there are a lot of nice Norway spruce trees. I have posted pictures of them here in the past. The best of those at the Arboretum are those growing next to if not virtually on top of limestone outcrops. The limestone in the area is a very high mag variety. Those further away from these outcrops where the soil is very deep above bedrock, do not look nearly so good.

Well, enough--I could cite one or two dozen more "observations" like these.

So here is what you can do. If you have Norway spruce trees that are not now perfectly gorgeous, and want to experiment on the basis of my hypothesis, apply high mag limestone at a rate of 4 pounds per 100 square feet under and around each tree to a distance of about 20 feet or more from the trunk. If you have soil that already has a high Ph, you need to be careful that you don't raise the Ph too high. One study suggests that the optimum Ph for Norway spruce is between 5.2 to 5.8. Of course what is the optimum Ph could very with soil type. If limestone is applied, the Ph on a light sandy soil will be raised more than it will be on a heavier soil. And soil depth is also a factor. So be careful. But the risks of the treatment I am recommending are very slight. I don't know that there is any chance you can raise the magnesium levels too high. I am not recommending using any other method to raise the level of magnesium.

The effects of the treatment I am recommending will come slowly--probably the results will take 5 years or more to be realized. It requires a year or so for the limestone material to sink down into the soil much at all. The uptake of magnesium in needles already formed is minimal, at best, and Norway spruce retains old needles for 6 years or so. So it will be 6 years before all the needles on the tree have improved levels of magnesium. And it also takes time for older trees to grow enough to show improvement in the density of their foliage, etc.

Yes, I repeat, this is all rather unscientific. I have searched for information about the effects of some kind of optimum Ph and magnesium levels for Norway spruce. I am not aware that any research has been done. And it is unlikely that any will be done any time soon. At my timberland I did an application like what I am recommending about 16 years ago. In one case, especially, the "results" have been dramatic, but I can't be sure some other factor was not involved. This fall I will more carefully select a few trees to treat in locations where I think any results could be less likely to come from other factors, and leave other similar trees untreated. This time there will be better reasons to think that any results I may see will be meaningful. I will report back in 5 years or so.

But I am confident enough about the possible benefits of this treatment, that I have spread high mag limestone around all my Norway spruce trees here at my home near Winchester, VA. Almost all look very good so far, but maybe they could look even better.

One hint--the "pelleted" variety of limestone is much easier to spread than the pulverized limestone. The brand I used here is produced by Stuart M. Perry of Berryville, VA. The analysis is:

Calcium oxide (CaO) 28.5%

Calcium carbonate (CaCO3) 51%

Magnesium oxide (MgO) 19%

Magnesium carbonate (MgCC3) 40%

Calcium carbonate equivalent 90%

Effective neutralizing value (ENV) 75%

These numbers I believe are typical of what is called "high mag" limestone. Another type of limestone that is high in magnesium is dolomitic limestone.

On the bag the recommended applications are: 1 bag (40 pounds) per 1,000 square feet to maintain Ph, and two bags to correct acidic soils.

Elsewhere I read that 40 pounds per 1,000 square feet could raise the Ph by .2 to .4. But I don't think there is much risk that the kind of application I am suggesting will raise the Ph of the average soil by enough to do any harm. But if your soil already has a Ph above 6.0, I would be careful, especially if the soil is light sandy soils and not very deep.

Of course, various soils have very different levels of nutrients, including N P, and K, and these can affect the soil reaction and Ph levels, and the Magnesium availability. Soils are not a simple one dimensional kind of thing. In addition, the depth of any soil is important, and the Ph levels near the surface can be very different from levels deeper in the soil.

I add all this so no one makes any mistake in thinking soils are more simple than they really are.

--spruceman

Comments (29)