SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mom2volleyballgirls

Am I over watering or under watering my Weeping Norway Spruce?

Hi-

I originally posted this on an existing thread about a Weeping Norway Spruce losing its needles, but IÂm not sure anyone saw it. IÂd really appreciate any helpful input. HereÂs the background on my needle-losing Weeping Norway Spruce:

We're in the high desert area of Northern Nevada, zone 3-almost zone 2-very little precipitation year round, usually a little more snow in the cold months than rain in the warmer months, and occassionally very high winds from the southwest. I planted the tree in the late spring of 2006 on the southeast facing side of the house and it receives full sun all day. It's in the same drip irrigation zone as my rose bushes, on an every other day schedule-mandatory water conservation-which we turn off in October before the freeze and turn on again in April right after the thaw. I don't water during the cold months and the Spruce has only been fertilized twice, with Miracle Grow, in the Spring of 2006 and the Spring of 2007. It was fine after it's first winter but this spring most of its needles are turning yellow-brown, despite a lot of great-looking new growth at the tips. Now a very little bit of the new growth is starting to look brownish and it's got me worried.

I feel that I may be either over watering or underwatering but I have no idea which. Can anyone tell me what's wrong? Thank you in advance.

Comments (19)