SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peachiekean

What roses are you wishing for this holiday season?

peachiekean
13 years ago

I saw the Ducher roses last night on Vintage and they all look gorgeous. What else is new and exciting out there?

Comments (27)

• User
    13 years ago

I have a couple of hulthemia hybrids which I am definately looking forward to. Despite the ugly name - 'Eyes for You', one of them has a fascinating colour break,(lilac/purple) looking almost like a tree paeony. As is to compensate for the terrible name, the other hulthemia sounds more romantic and promising - 'Alissar, Princess of Phoenicia'. E4U has arrived already - have dared not put it into the ground as I think it will need really considered planting so it will spend a year in a pot.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

I'm looking forward immensely to receiving Cl. Lady Hillingdon and the beautiful and mysteriour Zalud House Shingled Rasberry. The only person I know of who has the latter rose is Pam (mendocino rose) and she seems to regard it highly. That's recommendation enough for me.

Ingrid

P.S. I'm not a passionate Austin roses fan although I really like some of them, but I would like to have Young Lycidas after seeing pictures of it. At the least I'd like to see it in someone's garden in order to see whether it's really as beautiful as it seems.

• Related Discussions

Wishing you all a very happy holiday, 4th of July

Q

Comments (6)
    hi, Pat, Thank you for the Independence Day wishes and I'm glad to hear you're doing better. I like what you said, Ingrid. I especially love that sentence in the Declaration of Independence: We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. Because we are all created equal and in the image of our Creator, we have the responsibility to treat each other with respect, knowing that we are all entitled to pursue life, liberty and happiness. Our freedoms to worship God and to pursue our dreams are precious indeed.
    ...See More

A wish for all of you this holiday season

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi Joanne, I'm new to this website. I had lost my mom when i was 6yrs old and im now 43. Well now I had lost my son this year on Dec 10th. I had written an article about it and hope I get some replies to ease my pain/loss/hurt. I can go on and on but, anyways, have a very Merry Christmas and God Bless. Barb
    ...See More

Wishing you all a very happy holiday season...

Q

Comments (12)
    Wait a minute. A truck crashed into your house? Did I miss this story? My MIL once was having lunch in Georgetown and a car crashed through the window of the restaurant. The waiters had to get her to move to another table, I think she would have sat there eating her salad while the radiator of the car was releasing its steam. :) I also want to say thank you to everybody for all the help and hand holding you are providing me with lately. Wishing you Joy during this Holiday Season. Bee
    ...See More

Are you buying anything for yourself this holiday season?

Q

Comments (46)
    Chisue, I have an Instant Pot and several good cookbooks to go with it. I think it's interesting, and sometimes fun, and I'm not sorry I got it. But don't use it as much as i thought I would. I think the reason is I'm rarely in a hurry in the kitchen. It's a great time saver, but I don't mind having soups, etc., simmer on the stove for long periods of time. However, if you enjoy pressure cooking, this is the appliance for you! I plan to try out new recipes for mine this winter. I live alone, and bought the 3-qt. model. I think it would be good for those who cook for two. To me, it's plenty big. But others tried to talk me into the 6 qt model, and one advantage of that one is that most recipes are written for it. Because of the cook times, it's not always a simple matter to cut the recipe in half. More cookbooks have been coming out with recipes for the 3 qt. Instant Pot though. Let us know if you get one. PS: You can probably find some old threads where we discussed Instant Pots at the KT. Lots of happy users, as I recall.
    ...See More
  • melissa_thefarm
    13 years ago

I actually think I'm not going to buy any roses this winter, for the first time since we moved to the farm. It's certainly not that I have all the roses I want. But last winter was discouraging, and I have a general sense that I've confined myself mainly to roses for some years, and I want to play catchup with other members of the vegetable kingdom. We planted a lot of shrubs this fall. Actually, I've put off purchases of new varieties of peonies (but have taken a sort-of census of those I have), and of lilacs, and I hardly bought any bulbs, so one might ask what we did buy. Shrubs mainly, mainly for fill. But there are some novelties: new varieties of box, escallonias, and myrtle, and a handful of other odds and ends. After this pause, I hope that next fall I'll be able to do some serious buying of new plants, roses and others.
    Melissa

• mariannese
    13 years ago

Melissa, your development seems like that of the rosarian friend I visited last Sunday to deliver a special rose. She has 600 roses, most of them planted too close and she has given up buying new roses at present and has started to remove and give away many of them. Her next project is to continue planting the arboretum she started when her kids were small. Her latest passion is magnolias. We took a wintry walk among her trees and shrubs and it was so beautiful. She has all the different conifers she could find, lots of trees with beautiful bark, shiny or peeling, or shrubs with bright red and orange canes. I was glad to see her mature pink stemmed Salix alba var chermesina 'Winter Glow' because mine is still very small, planted only this fall.

• elemire
    13 years ago

Actually at this point my main concern is to prepare new beds rather than getting more plants. Would not mind getting Snow Goose though, but it seems to be sold out at the vendor who carries it here (although it is right time for hardwood cuttings, *winks at campanula and makes puppy eyes*)

• User
    13 years ago

no problemo elemire - will pm you soon as. I tried to kill this rose with total callous neglect, leaving it in a tiny pot for 2 years - no food, no water. When I eventually decided to plant it - it went berserk. It is still blooming sporadically now. Hardly any thorns but twiggily untidy growth. Would look fab in a less formal garden (like mine).

• mendocino_rose
    13 years ago

I'm always excited about a new rose. Recently I ordered a rose called Carmenetta. This is a cross between Rosa Glauca and Rose Rugosa with bigger flowers and hips than Glauca and showy flowers. I'm getting a few of the Ducher roses also.

• User
    13 years ago

ooh, I know that rose well - it really is lovely and not only are the flowers bigger - the petals are fuller, more rounded than R.Glauca, they have the most delicious foliage which has that slightly quilted rugosa look but appear velvety. I have never seen your garden but it sounds rambling and slightly wild with some vivid lighting and meandering paths - I really can't think of a more delightful rose for such a situation.

• elemire
    13 years ago

I am not worried about it being messy grower ampanula - formal in my garden ends more or less at a few (more or less) straight lines. :D

• mendocino_rose
    13 years ago

I'm so glad to get a glowing report of Carmentta. I haven't seen it in person.

• melissa_thefarm
    13 years ago

Is 'Carmenetta' easy to root? I was given cuttings this fall. And if I do get plants from it, is it tolerant of droughty compact clay soil? I tend to avoid Rugosas because I think they would hate my conditions (though 'Thérèse Bugnet' does well and I like her a lot).
    Thanks,
    Melissa

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

I can only remember one somewhat negative comment about it, from an English garden book I think, that talks about the foliage and overall look of the plant being coarser, from the inclusion of rugosa I would imagine, and therefore the plant being less elegant looking. I suppose that would also depend on the eye of the beholder. The flowers being larger seems like a definite plus to me.

Ingrid

• organicgardendreams
    13 years ago

I am looking forward to welcome the first yellow(-ish) rose in my garden :-)! So far I only went with various pink, mauve, crimson, lavender, purple and of course white roses. I love the roses that I have, but a couple of weeks ago I felt somehow restless and somewhat unhappy when I looked at my garden and then it struck me, I am BORED!!! So in comes a yellow rose! I just ordered Charles Darwin. Right now I envision him sowhere between my white roses and silvery companion plants like dusty miller and artemisa. It should look quite nice in my imagination.

Christina

• sherryocala
    13 years ago

Since I might be looking for a small climber to replace the Big Mamoo (Cl Maman Cochet), I noticed Mme Driout on Suzy's post of swag-suitable climbers. She's a deep pink striped tea, tall bush or small climber. A very exciting rose to me and just the ticket! Also, Pompanella which has the look of Raubritter with its round, deep pink blooms. Those are the two that are in the 'shopping cart' awaiting the trigger to be pulled. The temptation to add two more in order to get a free one is simply insane, right? I mean I not dying to have any others, so I guess my wish list is just these two.

Sherry

• kstrong
    13 years ago

I've been disappointed with Mme. Driout here. Gets every disease, and blooms mostly ball up before opening here. Fair warning . . .

• sherryocala
    13 years ago

I receive your warning, kstrong, but I'd like to know how one comes up with a Tea from a sport of a hybrid tea. I hadn't noticed that before. Do you have bs where you are? What are the diseases she gets? Are you in a cool coastal area or where? Thanks.

Sherry

• roseseek
    13 years ago

Sherry, you can either classify a rose by breeding, such as Tea X HP equaling a Hybrid Tea, or you can classify it based upon how it looks or performs. Very often, it all depends upon what the breeder and introducer feel will best sell the rose. Ralph Moore's Mister Bluebird is a self seedling of Old Blush, hence pure China. I asked him years ago why he classified it as a miniature. He responded, "Kim, thirty years ago, WHO bought Chinas?" Austin's Dove performs like a weak Tea or early HT. Weigand's Symphony (HP, 1935) is classed as an HP, yet by breeding, it IS a Hybrid Tea, though it resembles Hybrid Perpetuals. Modern roses are such a mixed bag genetically, there is often no telling what you can get from many crosses or sports.

I agree with Kathy. Mme. Driout doesn't have enough flowers, much less decent ones, for the plant and it wasn't all that healthy in my Newhall garden, where disease was the exception rather than the rule. Kim

• sherryocala
    13 years ago

Thank you, Kim, for the explanation. Its poor health makes sense now. It must LOOK like a tea but act like a poor hybrid tea. Oh, well, the dream is dashed. And I guess Pompanella gets too big. Something tells me I didn't really need anymore roses. You don't suspect Mme Driout longs for Florida humidity, do you? I suppose we'll never know.

Sherry

• kstrong
    13 years ago

I am in a foggy coastal canyon, mildew central. That rose is one of my indicator roses -- the first to get diseased -- both mildew and rust, which are the diseases of choice here. And I've seen probably three blooms in maybe two years that didn't ball up with botrytis before opening.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

We're talking about the list for Santa, right?

Pomponella
    Bouquet Parfait (Berndoodle's photo got me)
    Vineyard Song
    Alchemist (sp?)
    Gloire de Dijon (dang that Paul Barden all to heck)
    Carefree Wonder
    Bonica
    Brillian Pink Iceberg
    Eden

As you can see, I favor roses that will ball and rot or those that will grow on freeway overpasses.
    If anyone would like to disabuse me of my misconceptions, I would much appreciate it.

Renee

• melissa_thefarm
    13 years ago

Mariannese
    I've always grown a variety of plants in my gardens, not just roses. I don't like "rose gardens": I think they're boring. But it's true that my collector's instincts are mostly concentrated on roses. I've never been able to bring myself to focus on looking for and paying for distinctive shrubs, but at least the thought's in my head now. We don't have the room, or, perhaps, the conditions to grow a large number of trees. I certainly would love to be able to have magnolias. They're one of my chief regrets among plants I can't grow.
    Melissa

• luxrosa
    13 years ago

Another alba semi plena
    - "Susan Louise" because it is the only rose I've seen bloom for 10 months out of the year, fully and reliably 10 miles east of San Francisco, California.
    -cl.Cramoisi Superior" at the moment the only red rose I own is "Mel Hulse" and since I have no deep yellow or flame colored roses at this time because I've been spending all my rose money on Tea roses and Tea-Noisettes I'll need
    a Pernetiana or two, my favorites are cl. "President Herbert Hoover" because it's the most fragrant of all Pernetiana roses to my nose.
    - Duquesa de Penaranda" Dot 1931, which is the healthiest Pernetiana I've ever evaluated, it's grown in a local no-spray public garden where I volunteer, in the Pernetiana section, and I hope to get cuttings from it this winter. a lovely coppery-cantaloupe hue, with yellow. I'd like to see this healthy rose more often in commerce. If I strike extra cuttings I'll give them away.

Lux.

• rosefolly
    13 years ago

My own holiday wish is not for acquiring any more new roses. Instead I want to get the roses I've been gathering over the past few months planted in a hillside bed by the back fence. First I had to make space. I've slowly been transplanting out some young fruit trees, a three-year-old pomegranate 'Grenada', a two-year-old grape 'Golden Muscat', a one-year-old apple 'Gravenstein', and a three-year-old persimmon 'Izu' . Originally I planned this bit of geography was expanding orchard space, but decided it was too pretty and too visible to give it to anything but roses. Don't worry, food lovers; I have other orchard areas and made room for all these plants elsewhere in my garden.

Today I got the first new rose in the ground. 'Alchymist' is to climb the back fence. There are a dozen or so more roses in pots awaiting planting, and I have about ten days to get it done. Relocating the existing plants was heavy work and the hardest part, and that is now done.

Rosefolly

• ianorc
    13 years ago

Actually, I have been severely tempted by the deals that both Vintage Gardens and Rogue Valley Roses are offering (sigh). I even made up a little (beginning) list of roses from Rogue Valley the other night (when our girl, Margot Rose, was supposed to be fast asleep). Here it is:

Velvet Fragrance (love those smelly red ones)
    Bayses Purple
    Marianne (a Paul Barden intro)
    Purple Buttons (from Kim Rupert, for the front of a bed)
    Secret Garden Musk (Wow! God knows where I can put it!)
    Augustine Guinoisseau
    Papa Meilland (but its out of stock ): )

Of course, if I had no limits (space and budget), who knows where it would end! (Has anyone noticed how shopping for roses in the winter is just like going into a pastry shop when you're hungry?)

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

"Has anyone noticed how shopping for roses in the winter is just like going into a pastry shop when you're hungry?"
    Heh heh heh.

Good job, Rosefolly. And I was feeling pretty good about getting three six-packs of violas planted...

Renee

• organic_tosca
    13 years ago

Sherry, Mme. Driout looks like a gorgeous thing! Why don't you just go ahead and get it? Nothing ventured, nothing gained. And there's a difference between Southern California and Florida...

Laura

• sherryocala
    13 years ago

Oh, Laura!!! You're gonna make me mad! On Sunday I tidied up Cl Maman Cochet. Chopped off that wayward cane, flipped others up on top where they are securely locked in place by her vicious thorns (those leaf thorns are THE WORST), trimmed others and removed a lot of dead wood. She's slim and trim now. So I have no place to venture or gain with Mme Driout. Alas, I did the right thing, but I feel a little less than good about it - now. On Sunday I felt wonderful. But I guess my ambivalence isn't your fault, so I'm not really mad at you, Laura.

Sherry

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH