SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lbuzzell_gw

what's your new favorite rose?

lbuzzell
14 years ago

Well, OK, maybe it's hard to narrow it down to one. I have a few new favorites, mostly older HTs from Vintage (on their own roots). Number one on the list is Gruss an Coburg, which I just got a couple of months ago, and they are jumping out of the ground in our garden (we have two of them) and they are putting out the loveliest, most fragrant blooms. Just one in a vase perfumes a whole room with an intriguing scent that includes clove fragrance. The largish blooms are a lovely pink-gold blush, and very tea-like. This is my new favorite.

Etoile de Hollande, which arrived at the same time as GaC, has already given us two lovely blooms and also looks like a winner. Such a nice clear red and fragrant too. Since I have mostly teas, noisettes, chinas and foundies, it's nice to have a red rose.

A third rose from the same Vintage batch is Thomasville Old Gold, a found tea that is coming along well, but not quite as exuberant as GaC yet.

I'm beginning to think that at least some of the older HTs will do very well indeed here in our coastal California area on their own roots. I ask Gregg Lowry at Vintage before I buy any of them, as I don't yet trust my own ability to know which will do well here own root. Gregg hasn't steered me wrong yet!

Comments (15)