SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

Trying to decide on a polyantha or two

dublinbay z6 (KS)
13 years ago

Now I'm getting interested in polyanthas, but I've never seen one in real life. I hope some of you have pics of the full bush so I can get a better sense of its appearance and where to plant it in my garden.

Are they attractive near the front of a border? I've been looking at The Fairy, but can't quite visualize it as a total plant. It obviously has a number of virtues, but I'm also worried it might be too light colored for the area I have in mind (lots of white over there). Are there other polyanthas that have The Fairy's virtues but a stronger pink color? Even a red might work.

Basically I'm looking for a smaller sprawler or willow-shaped polyantha that doesn't get much bigger than 2-3 ft tall and is disease-resistant.

Do polyanthas tend to be continuous bloomers like some of the catalog copy claims?

The spot I have in mind does get some dappled shade during part of the afternoon, but it is a rather hot spot as a whole.

I have another spot where I might want to put in a bigger polyantha. I read that Pinkie climber can be grown as a willow-like free-standing shrub. Anyone grow their Pinkie that way? How does it work? Are there other bigger polyanthas that would also work that way? Pics, again, would be welcome.

Appreciate any help you can give. Polyanthas are a totally new area for me.

Oh, yes--I'm in Zone 6 (Kansas).

Kate

Comments (18)