SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sohurt

Trying to decide if staying together or separation is best

sohurt
17 years ago

Hi All-

Thanks for being here. My husband and I have been married for 8 and a half years. We are both in our mid thirties and have two boys, ages 3 and 17 months, together.

A very successful attorney, my husband has been struggling with anxiety, depression, and mania for almost two years. He is on medication and is under the care of a psychiatrist (though only sees her once a month or so-- not enough talk therapy!!!) and his moods have started to stabilize, but he now says he is still extremely unhappy with his life. He functions perfectly well at work but can't seem to function at home at all.

We live in a good home, in a wonderful town, and are otherwise both healthy. He loves our kids but finds the ages of our kids a challenge, and is not very comfortable with the daily care and responsibility of them. Our kids are a handful, to be sure, considering their ages, but they are happy, healthy, "normal" kids, and they really want to spend more time with their daddy.

Two years of trying to conceive our first child zapped all interest in sex for my husband (understandable) but at my urging, we began having sex again a few months before our son approached his first birthday and we !surprise! conceived our second son when our first son turned one. My husband was not happy about the conception of our second son, but of course, loves him now and wouldn't want us to not have him. That said, these past two years have ruined our marriage.

My husband doesn't like how I have a reduced interest in him, which is not true, of course, just that I am so busy with the responsibility of the kids that I have little time to devote to him! I want to have sex, but he doesn't have any desire to have sex with me. We have had sex one time since we conceived our second son, and that was well over a year ago. I have worked hard to secure a few potential babysitters and have encouraged my husband to go out on "date nights" with me, but he is not interested, he says, because we can't communicate.

He accuses me of not letting him relax in his own home, and says that I am constantly going a hundred miles an hour. If he is trying to lay on the couch he feels guilty because he knows I have so much to do around here to "run" the household but he does not want to get up to help me and feels guilty about that. We have tried marital therapy, but he says it isn't working for him. So, I am going by myself now and at my next session I will be talking to the therapist about how you make the decision, finally, to separate or stay together. My husband says staying together the way things are is not what he wants, but divorcing is not what he wants, either. Anytime I ask him if we can brainstorm some strategies for how to make the home a more desirable place for him, he says he doesn't know what to say. He is "lost." But he is unwilling to talk more often to a therapist. Help!!!!!!!!!!

Comments (32)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus