SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
feens81

Trying to decide on flooring type/style for kitchen/dining room

feens81
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We will soon be doing a big kitchen reno on the home that we recently purchased. We're trying to decide on what floor to use for the kitchen/dining area. We're knocking out a couple of walls to open things up, so the kitchen/dining/living areas will all flow together.

The current living/dining areas have carpet in them now, and it is in really good shape, so the plan is to leave the carpet in the living room for the time being (but I think when it's time to replace it we'd go with something other than carpet).

Thus we're left deciding what the best option is for the floor that we will be putting, knowing that in the future the living part will change, as it seems that often the kitchen would have one type of floor, and then the living/dining would be a separate type. I'm including a pic that shows where the carpet will be cut off.

I should also note, for cost purposes we're avoiding hardwood, as nice as it is. I guess the big question is, can we pull off having the same floor in the kitchen/dining areas and different floor in the living room, or is that just going to look odd? Personally, I'd prefer to just rip out all of the carper but the DW isn't fond of tossing away good carpet.

Thanks!

Comment (1)