SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
golfer2b

Drainage issue and need suggestion on type of grass

golfer2b
16 years ago

Hello,

I have just moved into a 20 year old house, which has a backyard with very poor drainage. I live in Viriginia Beach, VA so I'm guessing our soil is mostly made up of clay. After I moved in I took down an above ground pool, two sheds and a playset. Now that I have removed all of the debris I have found that whenever it rains, my whole backyard turns into a puddle. I know very little about gardening, landscaping, etc...but I am a first time homeowner that has very little extra money to spend on professional help. I have access to a tiller and plan on ripping the whole backyard up and planting new grass, but I'm afraid if I do that, nothing will survive due to poor drainage. I have seen it done at golf courses where they dig a ditch and then just fill that in with rocks and cover it with dirt, but I don't know if that will help my yard. Should I bring in a bunch of dirt and put it in the back and spread that around and simply plant new grass seed over that? What should I do?

Also I would like a suggestion on a grass that is very durable as I spend a lot of time outside with friends playing bags, so I need something that can be trampled without dying. Also, if there is one that sucks up more water than another as I'm sure I will still have a bit of a drainage problem.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thank You

Comments (2)