SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Need engineering drainage suggestions for stock tank gardens

catherinet
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I have a bunch of poly stock tanks for veggies ( in addition to my regular garden). We've had tons of rain this year. The veggies in the stock tanks did great, because it rained all the time, and they drained quickly. Well, since it quit raining, they dry out in 1-2 days. I had originally drilled 1" holes in the bottoms of these. The stock tanks are 6' long and 2' wide and 1' deep (although I can plant about15-18" of soil in them). I drilled about 8 holes in each. So now I want to make it so that maybe 2-3 of those holes in each tank can be opened and closed (from underneath), depending on the weather.

I want it to be as simple as possible.......something like a short pvc tube with a shut-off or cap at the bottom. Anyone have any simple ideas? I went out yesterday and tried to block some of the holes from underneath, but it didn't work. There is a lot of weight at each hole, plus some rigid hardware cloth over each hole.

When I got these tanks, I had heard how important good drainage was, so I may have over-done the number of holes. So now I'm trying to fix the problem. In the Fall, I can deal with it from above, since the tanks will not have veggies in them.

Another idea I had was one of those short devices you can put on the end of a hose, with a small lever on it. That's about all I would need.

Here's a pic of something I was thinking of. The bottom of the stocktanks are pretty thin. If I could just put this into the holes, it might work. (pic at top of post).

Comments (17)