SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
toast2_gw

Bermuda, weeds, drainage issues, and shade so I have issues

toast2
15 years ago

Hello everybody. I have a whole slough of problems and would appreciate a bit of advice. I recently bought a house with a lawn that was, at one time, well kept up with. It has been neglected for quite some time, but I am convinced there is hope. To preface, it is bermuda grass and I live in Georgia. Here is what I am dealing with:

1. A low spot at the bottom of a hill where water collects after heavy rains...we are dealing with the erosion from the hill but it is still significantly lower at that place. There is currently no grass in this spot. Should we level it with topsoil/sand? Install a french drain? And are there types of grass that are better for wetter areas that wouldn't look terrible planted next to bermuda? Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

2. Some moderately shady places. At this point I can't tell if the grass isn't growing in these places because of the shade or because there is an accumulation of about 3 years worth of leaves that haven't been raked. My question is, is there any kind of grass that can be seeded there that will blend decently with the bermuda? As the surrounding bermuda is in relatively good shape.

3. I have weeds out the wazoo...of all different shapes and sizes...everywhere. Would a post-emergent herbicide be best?

And one more question, a bit more general, in the patches where grass isn't growing, for whatever reason, would it be better to purchase the "special" seed for patches? Or would it be better to just buy the sod and cut it into the proper shape. It's not that big of a space, really.

Thanks so much for your help!

-Alaina

Comment (1)