SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrsgoss_gw

Drainage issues!

mrsgoss
9 years ago

Hoping the drainage experts can contribute.

We have built a house midway down on a sloping tract. Not optimal but not much choice.

House faces north. Circle drive in front of house carved into slope with dirt ridge that might have remained stable had we not had epic rains all year. Berm directing flow atop ridge was compromised so that rain has been directed toward gravel circle drive (crush and run). Driveway failing, silt infiltrating, etc. Problem worsened by silted out straw bales blocking culverts on west side, causing backup, we are gonna clean out and widen and rock those spots.

Btw all the grass seed washed away in the epic rains. Mostly still mud.

On the east side, the grading was marginally ok but we need to be able to drive a trailer around that side of the house so we didn't want a deep ditch. Maybe if the grass had grown it wouldn't be the mess it is now. The northeast corner ponds and stays wet for days even when it quits raining. I think silt has been deposited making the area worse.

I've read contributions from the experts that have caused me to second guess trying French drains atop the ridge and along to the east side. Apparently a surface dry creek might be a better plan?

But we need to be able to drive a trailer down the east side.

Ideas? We hadn't planned to put a driveway along the side but should we think about doing that with larger rock? Could we get by with a narrower dry creek bed that could be straddled by a vehicle? If so how to deal with the edging of the creek bed? Landscaping? We thought we could drive on grass over there but the water flow isn't letting anything grow there either.

Glad to provide more info if needed.

Comment (1)