SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
charlie_jauquet

Drainage issue with Patio Extension

3 years ago

Hi all, My wife and I are working on putting in a patio extension to our existing cement pad. We are planning on doing brick pavers. We got all the sod off and as I was putting the string grid down, I noticed that the grass area is sloping down towards the cement pad (at a perfect 1/8"/1 foot rate). The cement pad is at the same rate away from the house, telling me that the edge of the current patio is where the grades meet. We have never had drainage issues and here in Colorado, heavy long lasting rains are few and far between. I am struggling with how to slope the paver patio, though. If I were to just continue the grade away from the house, I would be about 3 inches or so BELOW the grass level at the other edge of the pavers. I don't have anywhere to direct water from a French drain (except my neighbors yard, which I don't think they would be happy about). I am wondering if I can just dig a trench between the pavers and cement pad, fill with squeegee and some larger rock (unsure on depth and width) or if there is another solution. Thanks in advance!

Comments (6)