SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ericmac77

Soggy backyard with grade/drainage issues

Eric
8 years ago

so i purchased a home on half an acre in the northeast in august 15. everything is great... except the backyard. i had an inkling that there was at some point some issues with water as there were a handful of catch basins in the yard, but no visible erosion or standing water.

the backyard seems to have been dug out into the woods behind it and the barrier between yard and woods is a poorly done boulder retaining wall. in my time living at the house i have decided that this will be my number one project to get this space to be more livable and enjoyable for us.

i'm looking for some suggestions on what i can do with the grade... can it be brought up gradually away from the house to lead into the wooded area? my hope is that i can clear out some of the wooded area to expand the yard. my property goes about 20 feet back in the pictures (behind the shed). do i even need a retaining wall? should i scrap the low deck for a patio (i love the idea of a patio)?

we have no water issues in the basement, but it definitely gets damp. the water you see in the photos is either after rain (not even necessarily a heavy rain) or snow melt. the large pooled area of water you see near the house is not a full basement but a crawlspace. this is the most concerning area for me for potential water problems inside the house. the foundation near the deck and bulkhead goes into a full basement.

i'm at a loss as even where to start. i'd like to leave a perimeter of most of the big oak trees i have and wouldn't have a problem putting up privacy trees on my property line to block out the neighbors a bit more.

please help!

https://imgur.com/a/fwMyg

Comments (26)