SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_929826674

Tide laundry pods

HU-929826674
19 days ago

We recently bought a new washer and Tide coupons came with it, along with a Tide pod sample. We used it, and noticed a strong odor while the laundry washed, and on the laundry even after it dried. The odor was so strong it even permeated the adjacent room.

Why does every soap have to smell? Isn't being clean enough?

Comments (57)

• OutsidePlaying
    19 days ago

A main reason i don’t use pods (any kind) is because of the strong scent. I have bought some in the past to take while traveling and try to find an unscented variety. At home i use the plain old liquid, and no liquid fabric softener ever. I use wool dryer balls and the occasional unscented dryer sheet, which i usually cut in half as i have small loads as a rule.

• Lars
    19 days ago

The only fragrance I like in washing machine products is Borax. The fragrance is mild, but I actually do like it, and it does not stay around forever - it dissipates after a few hours - sooner if the laundry is hung outside to dry.

My biggest issue with fragrance was with Cascade Platinum dishwasher pods - they left such a strong scent on my dishes (especially plates) that food never tasted right. I switched to Cascade Complete, and it does not do this, but now I buy Finish pods instead, as well as Method, but Finish is now my favorite.

• Related Discussions

Tide Pods, anyone?

Q

Comments (34)
    What everyone needs to understand is that eventhough they say you can drop one in the wash, you will also read that two might be needed for larger, heavily soiled loads. There is something similarly worded on Purex, ALL, Tide, and Arm & Hammer. I recently purchased the A & H, because it came with a "get free with mail-in rebate". On the back,it says, "For heavily soiled loads, use two paks." I would not normally purchase these single-use, drop-in detergent paks, because they are too expensive. They are better for people who live in dorms or apartments. Carrying a few "paks"/"pods" is much easier than carrying a box or bottle. I said similar when we went through the detergent tablets("tabs") phase.
    ...See More

Tide Original Pods now "he turbo"

Q

Comments (5)
    Unicorn on an April glitter day!!! Too funny :) Sadly I'm too traumatized to try the pods again. So many clothes came out of the dryer, with the clear pod fused to fabrics!!! I am liking the he turbo though. No suds to worry about. Makes me think of the vintage tide ads. If I remember correctly it was something like "just wash wring, and done!! No Rinsing!!!" Hmm...I'm gonna google it. Such advertising makes me shocked!!!! The thought of not rinsing out detergent? Maybe it cut down on the need for starch? lol
    ...See More

Beloved Tide Victory Boost pods, are now Tide Odor Rescue pods

Q

Comments (18)
    I think the original Tide/bleach boost pods were discontinued in 2012.perhaps if Tideman sees this he can straighten it out. But remember P$G has had a lot of *originals* lol Take Tide for example, many folks here refer to lets call it **Larsi's Tide* LOL as being the original scent Tide, but there was another original Tide scent, up until the early, (I think 1972) when P$G got it in their heads to reformat Tide and changed its original scent to Larsi's original Scent Tide. I'm sure there are a few of us on this board that can remember the awesome and wonderful scent of the #1 original scent of Tide. This probably has to do with ones age, in my age group the original scented Tide was taken from me in the 70's...some of you younger ones will remember Larsi's Tide as being the original. So where was I going with these thoughts...I haven't the foggiest..LOL
    ...See More

Tide Pods/Gain Flings Revelation!

Q

Comments (47)
    greeny, I was thinking the same thing about P&G reading our forum for info about what real people like and think. I doubt they ever thought some of the members here were so smart about ingredients. Times have changed. I used to use Cheer Free liquid a lot some time ago and I must have liked it because I had no sensitivities to it. Soon now I will give it another try. However, I will buy Gain powder tomorrow just because I have to get it out of my system. I have the Flings or whatever they're called. I will consider donating my new jug of Tide Free Gentle liquid since I am hell bent on eliminating Tide from my life. Just finished 3 hours of Planet Earth II and am on a chemical elimination kick again. We'll see how long this lasts until I decide my clothes aren't getting clean enough. Jeesh. Round and round we go. Just want to add something for MizLizzie: It's "Tide Free & Gentle" and "All Free & Clear." Also, just remembered, I have a HUGE unopened box of the wonderful old Cheer powder without OBs. I'll have to be sure the new Cheer powder doesn't have OBs before I give the old up to my Humane Society. Thank you for the good news, greeny!
    ...See More
  • Bluebell66
    19 days ago

Agree! I always buy unscented everything. I use powdered detergent, but we bought Kirkland unscented pods for a time when we had a young teen at home - he was using way too much powder detergent - and they seemed to work pretty well. After he got more adept with measuring, we stopped using pods. I think they're overpriced and the plastic doesn't get completely dissolved and is forever in the environment. (Same with dishwasher pods/tabs.)

• foodonastump
    19 days ago

And forget about walking down the laundry products aisles in stores!

This whole thread has me thinking of my daughter. From a young age, when grocery shopping with me she’d break free at the laundry aisle and run up and down, breathing the air and sniffing the products. To this day she’ll make a detour down that aisle if we’re headed in that general direction.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    19 days ago

Faftris, I experienced the same thing with Palmolive - I finished up the bottle (detesting it the whole time) but donated the second bottle to the resource center.

I have had clothing items given to me to take to the teen drop in shelter that were so heavily scented that I couldn't bear to have them in the house - and scent was impossible to wash out!!

I guess people have been brainwashed into thinking that a heavy perfume equals "fresh". I wonder in just what way these perfumed products are helping the manufacturer's bottom line - covering up a change in ingredients? justifying a higher price? or really attracting more consumers to their product?

• chisue
    19 days ago

Why does the unscented Tide powder cost more than the other varieties? What's the perfume covering up?

Reality must finally have registered about liquid detergents. I know the manufacturer was trying to sell 'pods', but calling attention to the water content may have backfired. I found powder detergent in the local grocery store for the first time in decades. I used to have to go to a drugstore or Target to find Tide powder. Finding 'Free & Gentle' continues to be a quest.

• foodonastump
    19 days ago
    last modified: 19 days ago

I’ll say that Palmolive green has always smelled exceptionally strong to me, my whole life. I’ve actually got a big refill jug of it hooked up to my neverMT that’s not bothering me. Maybe covid nose, nose blind, or maybe it really is a leas obnoxious formula. I’ll have to sniff a small bottle next time I’m at the store.

• dedtired
    19 days ago

Hmm, the scent of the Tide pods never bothered me . I used them during shoulder surgery recovery since they can easily be used with one arm. However I understand that both laundry pods and dishwasher pods contribute to the problem of microplastics.Of course the manufacturers disagree. i use Tide free and clear liquid.

• eld6161
    19 days ago

I don't quite understand the laundry pods. I regulate my water and my amount of liquid tide.

If you use a pod, does that mean you need a full load?

• dadoes
    19 days ago

eld6161, detergent pods are dosage-sized for an average load, which is mid-sized, not a full load. Usage instructions typically advise two pods for a maximum-capacity load, possibly three if heavy soil/stains are involved.

Strong scents in laundry products, including the add-on products, are to cover the machine-stank that develops due to the push for cold water.

• dadoes
    19 days ago

Dishwasher pods, I can't use them, they don't work with my machine. The dispenser operates via the fill water flushing through it. Pods won't fit in the cup nor would they fully dissolve into the wash period. All cycles except the shortest begin with one or more prewash or prerinse periods so placing a pod directly into the tub results in it fully dissolving and being drained away before the main wash period arrives. I've tried Cascade Platinum and Finish Ultimate pods by pausing the machine to add it at start of the main wash period. Cascade causes so much sudsing that spray force and arm rotation is impaired. Finish leaves plastic items (and the machine tub) objectionably perfumed. I don't want my plastic storage and cereal bowls and Tervis mug imparting a scent to the food and drink.

• Elmer J Fudd
    19 days ago

My experience is that label instructions for products like laundry detergent for how much to use are waaaay too heavy-handed. Why would it be any different for their "standard dosage" amount put into a pod prescribed for a mid-size load? Or for recommendations for multiple pods for larger ones? Pods are a non-starter for me.

I suspect that using too much product can often be the cause of freshly washed laundry being overly odorous. Or having been inadequately rinsed. (we always program an extra rinse for all loads).

Our washers automatically adjust the water used for the size load. This isn't novel or a unique feature, most washers do the same. At least front loaders do. A fixed amount of detergent could hardly work well in this scenario. My wife and I "automatically" adjust how much product we use for the size of the load. Err on the side of using too little. If a load of a given size doesn't come out with appropriate characteristics of being freshly washed, wash it again and use a little more the next time.

• foodonastump
    19 days ago

“with appropriate characteristics of being freshly washed”

Does that mean ”clean”? 😂

I agree they do seem to overprescribe their detergent dosage. I try to go light. This conversation reminded me to run the Tub Clean cycle and clean the filter.

• chloebud
    19 days ago

“Err on the side of using too little.”

I started doing that several years ago after a conversation with a repair tech. It’s worked really well with our top loader that also adjusts the water levels for load size.

• Elmer J Fudd
    19 days ago

" “with appropriate characteristics of being freshly washed”

Does that mean ”clean”? 😂

Not necessarily. I'd suggest it means whatever it means to you. We don't all have the same expectations.

• foodonastump
    19 days ago

Actually it means whatever it means to YOU, being that you said it and base re-washing on it. But I don’t care enough to beg if you don’t wish to explain what you meant. 🙂

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    19 days ago

Tide pods do come in a fragrance and dye free version. My mom used to use them because it was too difficult for her to measure and pour the liquids. They really are useful for people with disabilities.

And I do agree about the amount in pods being a problem if you're doing a small load.

And I think people do become desensitized to smells/perfumes. In fact, our noses will stop registering a scent after a short amount of time - I learned that from watching Mr. Wizard 😀

• Elmer J Fudd
    19 days ago

food, there's no need to be mentally obstinate. WIth the approach that it's better to err on the side of using too little than too much, start at that side of the spectrum. Use less than you do normally. If you've followed the package recommendation, try using half as much. If when the cycle finishes you're satisfied with the washing results, then that's a better amount to use. Your expectation, not anyone else's. If the items seem not right to you and/or not as clean or fresh as you prefer, try again using a bit more.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    19 days ago

You know what I hate about liquid laundry detergent? The barely discernible measurement lines in the caps. Drives me crazy! Why can't they make them easier to see?

• foodonastump
    19 days ago

Oh Elmer stop taking everything, including yourself, so seriously. I put a laughing emoji after it. Meaning I was ribbing you about your wording. And I already said I use less than the prescriibed amount of detergent. Just like you do even though you’re ”not sure why anyone would think making up their own approaches that differ from what the experts suggest would be a good idea.“

• Elmer J Fudd
    19 days ago

I suspect I'm older than you are, I usually ignore emojis and don't usually distinguish one kind from another. They're yellow and I look no closer nor know no more about them than that.

• Patriciae
    19 days ago

When you buy your laundry detergent with a marked cap use a colored marker to make a clear and easily read line to measure your dose. Easy peasy. I account for a small amount of water to make it easier to dump the dose into my machine. No scent for me. I will use a laundry spray for stains. Cold water. I have well water at about 55 degrees.

• dadoes
    19 days ago

Don't use the cap on the bottle or jug to dose liquid detergent. Those measurement marks are essentially invisible (probably intended as such), aren't stated in standard units of anything, nor are they easily repeatable.

Get a 1/4 cup / 4 tbsp mini measuring cup such as this. It's marked in mL and oz on the other side. They're translucent for easy viewing of the hash marks and accurately repeatable. Rinse the cup under the washer's fill stream to get the full measured dose out of it if you have a toploader and can do so ... or wipe it out with an item of clothing in the load.

• dadoes
    19 days ago

Patriciae, do you wash your dishware and cookware in 55°F water? Just wondering ...

• arkansas girl
    18 days ago

These heavily scented products drive me crazy! I'm not really allergic to the scents but I am more offended by them. In other words, to me they just STINK!!!!! I bought a small bottle of Persil laundry detergent that is scented because I can't find the unscented version (WHAT???!!!) anymore! OMG, the smell is horrendous! It smells up the whole house and the washer is in the basement!!!!! Totally ridiculous! I agree about Palmolive green, PEE UUUUUU! I like the way it cleans the dishes but it stinks so bad! I will search for the unscented one and see if I can find it.

I just do not understand why these manufacturers think that everyone wants to have their stuff so heavily scented! I know that unscented versions are sometimes available but often times, they are not. Shampoos and conditioners are something that very few unscented versions are available! Soap is mostly all scented. So few unscented versions of these personal care items are available.

• arcy_gw
    18 days ago

All these scents brings back the story Hunger Games and Victorian times when people carried flowers etc. to mask the odors emanating. Curious, I wonder what that says about us.........

• faftris
    18 days ago

Arkansasgirl, don't be fooled by the Palmolive soap that is clear in the bottle. It still reeks. Look for the words "fragrance free" on the label. It's written in small letters.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    18 days ago

I use concentrated liquid detergent. 1/4 cup would be way too much.

I'll have to try the marker.

And yes, Palmolive, free & clear has fragrance in it - ick.

7th Generation makes unscented dish soap and their orange scented is nice and doesn't linger.

• dadoes
    18 days ago
    last modified: 18 days ago

Carol, there are marks on the little measuring cup for:

1/2, 1, 2, 3, 4 tbsp

1/2, 1, 2 oz

10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 mL

1/16, 1/8, 1/4 cup

Easy to see* vs. those opaque, mono-color detergent caps.

*Except the 1/2 tbsp mark which is on the interior toward the bottom of the black strip affixed to the exterior of the cup along the pour spout, although 1/2 tbsp can be eyeballed as halfway between the base of the cup and the 1 tbsp mark. It can be faintly seen in the photo above by enlarging the photo..

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    18 days ago

I see that now, thanks dadoes.

• woodrose
    18 days ago

Chloebud, yes, UNStoppables is one brand, but unfortunately there are others. I can't understand adding more scent when you're already using heavily scented detergent.

• Patriciae
    18 days ago

Dadoes, no I use dishwashing liquid and hot water to hand wash or dishwasher liquid and hot water to machine wash. Dish washing liquid is formulated differently from laundry detergent. It does not work properly in cold water. Our on demand water heater supplies aproximately 120 degree water.

• Olychick
    18 days ago
    last modified: 18 days ago

I recently switched to EarthBreeze detergent sheets (unscented) and have been SO happy with them. I will switch to a USA or Canadian made product when these run out, tho, as I didn't realize they were made in China. I love no mess, no plastic, no measuring. The sheets can be torn in half for smaller loads. No big jugs to clean for recycling or to try to fit into the cupboard. It's really a game changer and I love it.

• petalique
    17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

We usually use less detergent than is suggested. I think we mostly use ”warm” water because the water heater is set to 140°F and we have an unheated cellar where the washer is. I have not het used the ”new” washer (a barely used Speed Queen top loading agitation, for a great price.

I like to use unscented with a small dollop (.5 oz) of Gain. I like the bit of evergreen scent and it lets me know if some item I yank from beneath the bed is clean ;-) [anyone remember that scene from Gray’s Anatomy where Sandra Oh’s character is looking for something to wear in her messy apartment and has to sniff clothings items?]

• petalique
    17 days ago

Olychick, I have a friend who likes those detergent sheets.

I have never used pods for anything except in Asian dishes. (Too many times viewing ”Invasion of the body snatchers”)

All these overly sturated scent products are probably capitalizing on people’s anxieties about being smelly or ’un-fresh.’

Has there already been a Lumè thread?

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    17 days ago

Did somebody say the laundry sheet? I decided to try another brand, that has not gotten here yet. It does happen to be distributed from Florida. Haven't looked far enough to see if it was made in America. I also don't know how well it works. But just in case it's what you're looking for.

https://www.amazon.com/Detergent-Hypoallergenic-Brightener-Anti-Static-One-N-Done/dp/B07BXHC6Y1?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=A34TGZVIN0G1ZZ

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    17 days ago

Re: sniffing, my mom told me she and her friends in college called it the armpit test 😀

• HU-127064464
    16 days ago
    last modified: 16 days ago

I like the traditional powder, use a small portion in the bottom of the cup.

Why haul tons of water around the countries in those millions of jugs?

Had a sample pod ... once was enough.

You can keep your scented stuff if that's what you like: this old buddy doesn't smell too well? good?

Recent hitchhiking bringing bags of groceries home to the farm makes me even more committed to powder.

(old school) o j

• blubird
    13 days ago

Re China made vs. USA produced laundry sheets. Obviously not all brands represented. I, too, have been using Earth Breeze, but will change to a USA produced brand when I run out.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    13 days ago

I'm pretty sure the one I linked is made in the USA.

• Judi
    13 days ago

I use less than suggested Cascade powder in the DW and less liquid Pesil or Tide in the washing machine.

• Judi
    13 days ago

I suspect I'm older than you are, I usually ignore emojis and don't usually distinguish one kind from another. They're yellow and I look no closer nor know no more about them than that.

Dude, you're killing me. 😂

• Elmer J Fudd
    13 days ago

You too, bro.

• Judi
    13 days ago

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    12 days ago

Well, now what? Is it made in the USA? Formulated with imply that, but doesn't really say it expressly does it? It is not made in China, nor is it distributed from China. Sorry, I didn't feel like going to the effort of rotating the picture.

• Olychick
    12 days ago

Rob, that is really confusing and it seems they are trying to obfuscate where it's manufactured. Formulated seems almost like 'invented' but packaged in Israel doesn't sound like it's 'made' there. Why would they manufacture it in USA then ship to Israel for packaging? I wonder it there is another label that says "manufactured in China" or some such. I think the Earthbreeze was equally confusing...impIied it was USA made but it's not.

I would prefer a product that doesn't have fabric softeners in it, tho.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

I'm interested to see what it means that you can rub the sheet on the clothes for spot removing, and it doesn't dissolve into the washing. Maybe it's too hard to get the wording right sometimes? I mean there's fabricated in the USA... Which can mean the parts are made in China but it's built in the US. I'm not sure we ever get straight answers, thanks to some sort of government that sort of exists now.

• Olychick
    12 days ago

I was reading some of the negative reviews (lots of positive ones) and some people say they don't dissolve fully and leave white lint on dark clothes. They also have a scent which is a no-go for me. They don't have a Q&A on their website either. I would ask if anything is sourced in China.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    12 days ago

They're not meant to dissolve. It's also a dryer sheet?

Good question, but who would you ask? Who would know if it's sourced in China in any way?