Festive Food Floof! New Years!
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (62)
Related Discussions
Festive Floof! Christmas Plans/Menu!
Comments (45)I'm with Judi! I need a pre-hug because I am SOOO dreading the whole thing. Hubs is going out east to spend the holiday with his kid and grandkids. I am totally FINE with that, there's not really room for me in the house, and I don't want to take the risk of covid exposure for me and my 90 year old Dad. I don't usually enjoy long visits there anyway, it's a chaotic household so really best if we keep visits short and sweet. Hubs wants to spend a lot of time there, so he'll be happy and I'll be happy. I really can't be away from my Dad for a long, long time anyway, particularly far away. So I would really love and enjoy a quiet holiday ALONE. But on the downside, I will have to be around my Dad, who takes every opportunity to be miserable and remind everyone why they should be miserable, and make issues about things that aren't issues. He'll spend the whole time lamenting that we are "alone" on the holiday, because I guess I am just chopped liver. He'll revisit every death and estrangement and person who ever spent the holidays with us and isn't there. He'll claim he has no appetite and doesn't feel like eating whatever I make, complain that I made too much, and the only thing worse would be if I didn't do anything. He's clinically depressed and refuses any treatment for it. Which is fine, but he needs to make everyone around him miserable too. Oh, and he has a lovely invitation to spend Christmas with his godson, but insists that I have to come too. I don't want to go due to covid exposure and besides I don't even want to go, it's a long drive. They are lovely people but I would prefer seeing them at a time that is less pandemic complicated. But if my Dad wanted the whole Hallmark Christmas scene he could have it there. But he insists on me going, even though I really really don't want to. Frankly having him gone would give me some much needed rest, but he refuses to take that easy route. So now he's off in search of some public party and gathering at Christmas, Lord knows why he feels like he has to do that. I guess a little covid or flu risk is the way to go. We live in a very high transmission area. So I'm just dreading the whole affair because no matter what I do, it will be wrong/bad,/problematic. Hubs and I are having vegetarian lasagna for our Christmas dinner before he leaves. Not sure what else I will make. Probably just a salad and maybe some cranberry pistachio biscotti and tea if I can get the darn things made in time . . . Dad and I will be having cornish hens, sweet potatoes and wild rice pilaf, with an apple bundt cake for dessert. If I don't feel like fussing I might just make a small apple coffee cake in a square pan instead. I love my apple bundt cake but it takes five thinly sliced apples in layers so it's a lot of work. Or I might make cranberry cherry cobbler, that's always easy peasy but also impressive....See MoreFestive Floof! Resolutions!
Comments (22)I want to continue One Simple Thing, to drink at least four cups of water a day. I keep a pitcher of tap water on the kitchen counter, taste improved with a dash of Crystal Lite Lemonade Mix. It's, "See water. Drink water." I've got DH doing it, too. Come dinner time, *success* in our empty pitchers. This little action has brought my kidney function test numbers back to normal -- measured monthly at the cancer center. And where did I learn this? HERE! From the KT. Thanks, friends. seagrass -- I envy you, having your DM for 60 years -- a little-considered, long term positive for early childbearing! My DM died 43 years ago when I was 37. I know there are several people on the KT who had their parents for even less time...and worse, parents whose children died too young. Seize the Day!...See MoreFestive Floof! Valentines plans.....
Comments (48)Well my dinner plans didn't pan out. SO requested that I make this mishmash dish with no name. It is essentially yellow rice, shredded cheese and "mexican" chicken with peppers and onions. So, since I couldn't really make that heart shaped, I improvised. Tiny heart shaped casserole to the rescue! This tiny little dish was big enough for his portion,and I was satisfied that it was heart shaped. Don't worry. I wasn't stingy with the cheese, there is more underneath the chicken....See MoreFestive floof! Celebrating then and now.
Comments (8)I liked Christmas as a child, but once I became an adult, it was more stressful than anything else, and my mother took it too seriously. She felt compelled to have everyone together for Christmas, and this became more difficult when the family got larger and had other places to go. I left home at 18, and so after that, I returned as a guest. I have no holiday traditions of my own, although I used to celebrate the summer solstice when I lived in Venice, as that was a good time to have a party there. When I did visit my parents for Christmas and/or Thanksgiving, I would do much of the cooking, partly because my mother did not like to do it and partly because I was better at it, and my nieces especially appreciated it. I found exchanging gifts to be more stressful than enjoyable, and so I did not like that as an adult. We sometimes played board games, and I did enjoy that. As a child, we alternated having Christmas at my parents' house and at my maternal grandparents' house. My mother was an only child, and so her parents were always with us at holidays. My father had two older brothers and an older sister, and we never celebrated any holidays with them. His sister had moved to New Mexico, and we almost never saw her at all. His two brothers had married two sisters, and so they were very close to each other but not to us. Since their children were double first cousins, they were much like one family (and closer to each other in ages). My father's family was not big on Christmas, partly because his sister had converted to Jehovah's Witness (because of her husband), and she had converted my grandmother. I believe that JWs do not celebrate Christmas, as I remember, but my grandmother was not the typical JW. In fact, being inventive (with a couple of patents under her belt), she had created her own version of the religion, probably from her imagination, which was far from conventional. No one knew where she got her ideas, but she did enjoy going out and witnessing. However, when the other JWs found out what she was telling others, they tried to get her to stop witnessing, but to no avail. I was told not to listen to my grandmother because she was "off her rocker," but I found her stories entertaining and imaginative. My grandmother owned the waterworks in town because my grandfather (who died before I was born) and his father had dug a bunch of artesian wells, and so the people in town pretty much had to put up with her, even though they thought she was a bit crazy. She never forced people to pay their water bills, and so my father had to do that for her. She thought water should be free. Anyway, my father's side of the family did not celebrate Christmas in a conventional way....See More- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years agoamylou321 thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9/10
Related Stories

EVENTSPreview Some Captivating Art in This Year’s London Design Festival
The Victoria and Albert Museum’s LDF exhibits are about reflection, wearable art, tiny insects and lots of Swarovski crystals
Full Story
HOLIDAYSHow to Have a Fun and Festive Holiday This Year
Make staying at home feel special this Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s and more
Full Story
HOLIDAYS12 Ways to Make New Year’s Eve at Home Feel Special
Set a festive table, have a home spa day, go for a wintry walk and celebrate the joys of being home
Full Story
TRAVEL BY DESIGNThis Year’s Summer Design Events to Know
Get the info on top design happenings, art fairs and museum exhibitions through September 2017
Full Story
LIFEWhat We Love (and Don’t) About New Year’s
Here are our favorite and least favorite things about ringing in the new year. What are yours?
Full Story
HOLIDAYS8 Ideas for Welcoming the New Year
Host a champagne gathering, enjoy a family game night, take time for reflection or have a festive brunch
Full Story
EVENTSExplore L.A.’s Creative Side at Los Angeles Design Festival 2015
L.A.’s flourishing design scene is being celebrated during more than two weeks of events starting May 28
Full Story
APARTMENTSMy Houzz: London Living for an Architect-Turned-Food Stylist
We tour this unconventional designer’s apartment and find out why she loves her home kitchen
Full Story
EVENTS2018 Design Calendar: Where to Go and What to See This Year
Check out some of this year’s best design shows, tours and exhibitions around the globe
Full Story
CHRISTMAS10 Easy Decorating Ideas for a Festive Entryway
'Tis the season for welcoming guests with wreaths, special lighting and plenty of comfy seating
Full Story
lat62