Festive Food Floof! Do you dare?!?!?
3 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (30)
Related Discussions
Festive Floof! Christmas Plans/Menu!
Comments (45)I'm with Judi! I need a pre-hug because I am SOOO dreading the whole thing. Hubs is going out east to spend the holiday with his kid and grandkids. I am totally FINE with that, there's not really room for me in the house, and I don't want to take the risk of covid exposure for me and my 90 year old Dad. I don't usually enjoy long visits there anyway, it's a chaotic household so really best if we keep visits short and sweet. Hubs wants to spend a lot of time there, so he'll be happy and I'll be happy. I really can't be away from my Dad for a long, long time anyway, particularly far away. So I would really love and enjoy a quiet holiday ALONE. But on the downside, I will have to be around my Dad, who takes every opportunity to be miserable and remind everyone why they should be miserable, and make issues about things that aren't issues. He'll spend the whole time lamenting that we are "alone" on the holiday, because I guess I am just chopped liver. He'll revisit every death and estrangement and person who ever spent the holidays with us and isn't there. He'll claim he has no appetite and doesn't feel like eating whatever I make, complain that I made too much, and the only thing worse would be if I didn't do anything. He's clinically depressed and refuses any treatment for it. Which is fine, but he needs to make everyone around him miserable too. Oh, and he has a lovely invitation to spend Christmas with his godson, but insists that I have to come too. I don't want to go due to covid exposure and besides I don't even want to go, it's a long drive. They are lovely people but I would prefer seeing them at a time that is less pandemic complicated. But if my Dad wanted the whole Hallmark Christmas scene he could have it there. But he insists on me going, even though I really really don't want to. Frankly having him gone would give me some much needed rest, but he refuses to take that easy route. So now he's off in search of some public party and gathering at Christmas, Lord knows why he feels like he has to do that. I guess a little covid or flu risk is the way to go. We live in a very high transmission area. So I'm just dreading the whole affair because no matter what I do, it will be wrong/bad,/problematic. Hubs and I are having vegetarian lasagna for our Christmas dinner before he leaves. Not sure what else I will make. Probably just a salad and maybe some cranberry pistachio biscotti and tea if I can get the darn things made in time . . . Dad and I will be having cornish hens, sweet potatoes and wild rice pilaf, with an apple bundt cake for dessert. If I don't feel like fussing I might just make a small apple coffee cake in a square pan instead. I love my apple bundt cake but it takes five thinly sliced apples in layers so it's a lot of work. Or I might make cranberry cherry cobbler, that's always easy peasy but also impressive....See MoreFestive Food Floof! Christmas Treats!
Comments (44)Lizbeth: For my Green Chile Pinwheels, I use one drained, 4-ounce can of chopped green chiles (Hatch or Bueno are my preferred brands for quality). Here's my recipe for my Biscochitos. Biscochitos Ingredients ¨ 3 cups butter (originally called for lard) ¨ 1 1/2 cups sugar ¨ 2 large eggs, beaten ¨ 1 teaspoon anise extract ¨ 3 teaspoons vanilla extract ¨ 7-8 teaspoons anise seeds ¨ 1 teaspoon salt ¨ 1/’4 cup brandy ¨ 5 cups all-purpose flour ¨ 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder ¨ 1/4 cup sugar + 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon for topping Directions: 1) Cream sugar and butter. Add in beaten eggs. 2) Next add in the anise and vanilla extracts, anise seeds, salt and brandy. Mix well. 3) Mix in the flour and baking powder. Roll out your cookie dough, thick or thin depending on your preference. 4) Cut into star or flower shapes with cookie cutters, and sprinkle with a mixture of sugar and cinnamon. Move to cookie sheets. 5) Bake in preheated 350-degree oven for approximately 12-15 minutes, BUT WATCH THEM! Bake only until golden. Browned cookies will taste terrible! ** This baking time is for our high altitude here at 6,000 ft. You may need to adjust it for lower altitudes!...See MoreFestive Food Floof! Hearts!
Comments (24)I know you're looking for ready made, but I don't know any. Have you heard of pie pops? I haven't until I saw this gadget just now... https://www.amazon.com/Tovolo-Pops-Press-Prep-Tools/dp/B0077LSB9C/ref=sr_1_27?crid=1BFNCR5XFRNUV&keywords=tovolo+chop+and+spin&qid=1675844084&sprefix=tovolo+chop+and+spin%2Caps%2C168&sr=8-27...See MoreFestive Food Floof! New Years!
Comments (62)Yeonassky, yes, of course I'll share. I'm sorry, I just now got back to this and noticed you'd asked. Bear with me, its lengthy and help me pray I have no typos 😊 Marcella Rosene Lasagna (Pasta and Co) SAUCE 1 1/2 # lean ground beef 1/4 C pure olive oil 1 1/2 C coarsely chopped onions 1 heaping Tablespoon oregano 1 1/2 teaspoon finely minced garlic 1 1/2 teaspoons basil 1 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon black pepper 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes 1 Cup plus 3 tablespoons dry white wine 3 1/4 cups crushed tomatoes in puree (Paradise brand if available). There will be a couple of ounces left in the 28-oz can, save and use in assembling the lasagna 5 ounces frozen spinach (half a 10 oz box, keep the other half frozen for another use. Squeeze what you will use dry of all liquid CHEESE 3 cups mozzarella, grated 1/2 Cup feta, crumbled BECHAMEL 1 1/2 C milk 1 Cup cream big pinch white pepper big pinch thyme big pinch nutmeg big pinch basil 3 tablespoons butter 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon flour 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese 3 tablespoons grated romano cheese THEN Uncooked fresh only lasagna noodles,enough for three layers in 9x13 pan TOPPING 1/4 cup unseasoned bread crumbs 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese 1 teaspoon very finely chopped parsley Cook beef in saute pan over medium heat until pink gone. Remove from heat and drain of all fat. (make sure it is well crumbled). In same pan, heat olive oil and add onions, oregano, garlic, basil, salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes. Cook until onions are translucent. Add wine, bring to a boil, cook about 10 min until alcohol taste evaporated. Stir in tomatoes, spinach, your reserved browned beef. Simmer a couple of minutes then remove from heat. Mix together mozzarella and feta cheeses and set aside. Make bechamel: Heat milk,cream, white pepper, thyme, nutmeg, basil in small saucepan until it nears a boil. Turn off heat. Melt butter in medium pan, cook until foam from butter recedes, remove from heat, add flour and mix well. Return to medium low heat and stirring frequently, simmer 2-3 minutes to cook but not brown the flour. Gradually stir in hot milk/cream mix, raise heat a little and continue to stir until mixture is smooth and thick (5 minutes?). Add Parmesan and Romano and whisk until smooth. Should be texture of wallpaper paste, not the white sauce more often associated with bechamel. Mix together and reserve your topping ingredients. ASSEMBLE AND BAKE (or, as they do at the deli often, assemble, wrap and freeze to bake later) Preheat oven to 400F. Spread 2 tablespoons of leftover tomato juices from your can on bottom of 9x13 baking dish. Lay in one layer of the uncooked lasagna noodles. Spoon on 3 cups meat sauce. Spread 1 Cup Bechamel across the meat sauce in two diagonals (no need to spread evenly at this point). Top with two cups cheese mixture. Lay on another layer of lasagna noodles and repeat, using same amounts of sauce - be sure to get in every dab of the meat sauce( as there will be none to spare) bechamel, cheese. Top with last layer of noodles, and with fingertips, press lightly to distribute bechamel smoothly in the layers. Using a long metal spatula 'frost' top layer of noodles with remaining bechamel. Be sure to completely cover noodles so they do not dry out in oven. Sprinkle evenly with reserved bread crumb mix. Bake 400F for approx 60 minutes until sauce bubbles around edges and top is lightly browned. If browning too quickly, cover with foil last 10 minutes. If baking this assembled straight from your freezer, add about 20 minutes baking time. Critical for ease in serving.....Let Stand 20 Minutes Before Serving I hope you enjoy this as much as we do, and again, I am not especially a fan of lasagna other than this one 😁...See More- 3 years ago
Related Stories

HOUSEKEEPINGA Clean Home for the Holidays in 5 Days
Follow this guide to get your house clean before the festivities begin and your guests arrive
Full Story
LIGHTINGHang the Perfect Light Over Your Holiday Table
Make everything look better with the right chandelier or pendant light for your dining room
Full Story
HOLIDAYS8 Ways to Organize Your Home This Holiday Season
Declutter and organize your holiday supplies for the future to create a more peaceful home right now
Full Story
MONTHLY HOME CHECKLISTSDecember Checklist for a Smooth-Running Home
It's time to add weather stripping, plan for holiday home safety, consider backup heating, check your emergency kits and more
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGNGreat Design Plant: Sun-Loving Ninebark Puts on a Color Show
This tall, dark and handsome native shrub is equally at home in jeans and boots or in a suit and tie
Full Story
MOST POPULARIs Open-Plan Living a Fad, or Here to Stay?
Architects, designers and Houzzers around the world have their say on this trend and predict how our homes might evolve
Full Story
HOUZZ TV FAVORITESHouzz TV: Life, Love and Purpose Down on the Farm
A Missouri native proves that you can go home again — and discover something entirely unexpected
Full Story
DESIGNER SHOWCASES20 Fantasyland Dining Room Designs That Delight
A wonder to behold, these incredible professionally designed rooms take everyday dining over the top
Full Story
LIFE10 Ways to Cope With Grief During the Holidays
If you are experiencing loss, take it from an experienced griever — life has changed forever, but it does get better
Full Story
HOUZZ TV FAVORITESHouzz TV: A New England Farmhouse Explodes With Color
Creativity and color burst from every corner in this unique 18th-century Massachusetts home for an artist and her family
Full Story
annie1992